Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosajoe_gw

9PatchandBowTie pics

rosajoe_gw
11 years ago

I found notes I had made of a quilt with just 2 blocks, a 9 patch and bow tie. Two really easy blocks to make and they way they are joined together makes a nice pattern (to me anyway lol).

I made this for a lady to use in her wheelchair. I made the blocks 6 inches (48x48) and my sis says she will probably like it bigger. shoot!!!

I'm thinking of an applique border, I'm bored with the blocks!!

Comments (14)

• bev2009
    11 years ago

That is very cool. It is amazing the patterns you can get by just turning a square a certain way, etc. Can't wait to see it with the border.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Rosa, I think that's a lovely pattern too. Very nice work. A border in one of the colors in the print would work well, I think. Maybe the darker color. If it's to use in her lap, I wouldn't make it too much bigger. You wouldn't want it to drag on the floor or get caught in the wheels.

You are very kind to make this for her. Lois

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Nice pattern....Your ususal pretty. I agree that you wouldn't want it too much larger if it is for use with a wheel chair but a small border would work well to tie it together. TFS

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

That's a really nice look, Rosa. I can understand her wanting it longer if she's going to wrap up from head to toe while sitting, but not for just an over the lap wrap. Making it longer would be an easy fix.....(I just 'tested' that size while sitting in Prissy's wheelchair)

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

That makes such a nice secondary pattern, Rosa. You're brilliant. You can easily alter the size with borders. Good job.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Rosa I think it is really pretty design and I like it so much that I printed out the picture you posted to put in my binder of quilt patterns. I think an applique border would look really pretty. Thank you for sharing!

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Very pretty combination! I also 'see' this in a contemporary design with the middle offset ~~~ oh the possibilities!
    An appliqued border would be very pretty. You could put the border on 3 sides, leaving the top plain. If there is an up or down to the applique, I suggest you make it so the lady in the wheelchair sees the design correctly.
    Great design! Can't wait to see how you finish this!

• polardream
    11 years ago

Rosa, It is really pretty! I love the color combination and I am sure she will too! Adding borders will help you make it larger without making more blocks. Good foryou!

Sue

• bev2009
    11 years ago

That is very cool. It is amazing the patterns you can get by just turning a square a certain way, etc. Can't wait to see it with the border.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Rosa, it's so pretty! And it looks much more complex than 9 patch and a bowtie.

Donna

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Rosa...another inspiring quilt just by taking two to make one really nice design. It's lovely.....can't wait to see the finished quilt!
    V.

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, and Sharon for testing it for me lol!!!!
    The lady does so much for others and once a month she helps in a soup kitchen. I hope I am as active as she is when I'm her age. She only uses the wheel chair on bad days, so that's why sis wants it big enough for her to curl up under.

This one could be larger with 9inch blocks. I think it will also make a great QOV. It goes together really fast and doesn't have a lot of seams to match.
    Rosa

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

It's beautiful already. An appliqued border will make it even more special. One consideration is whether she'll use it for a bed or while in her chair. Anything too long risks getting caught in her wheels.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

It's beautiful and I love the combo of the two blocks!

I think you have the size right. I made one for a friend who uses a wheelchair and I did it 40x40. It's just the right size to tuck in around the sides of the chair and reach to her feet. The retirement home my mother was in had a quilting day and they specified nothing larger than 36x45.

Hope that helps!

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer