Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Binding with Minky backing

Posted by loisf (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 11 at 12:50

To those of you experienced with Minky backing...

How wide do you cut your binding? Wider than the 2.5" that is typically suggested?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Binding with Minky backing

I don't cut mine wider but I do sew it to the backing side and hand stitch on the front when I use minky. It's hard to make it look good on the back by hand.

o

I agree, it tends to "creep" a bit.

beverly

o

I cut the backing wide enough to wrap it around to the front as binding.

o

Lois, what size binding did you decide to make for the two quilts with the Minky backings? I am considering using Minky as a backing.

o

I checked around with several people and ended up doing it as I have for non-Minky backing. I used 2.25" binding, machine stitched it to the front of the quilt and hand sewed it to the Minky. I had no trouble at all. That being said, the quilts have not been used or washed, but I made sure I hand sewed completely through the Minky. I think it will be just fine, and I really like the way the "standard" style of binding looks. The batting I used was Hobb's 80-20 on one and a 100% cotton on the other, Dream Bat, I believe she called it. So they were not thick battings.

I contracted with two different LA quilters, so I could get to know each of them, just in case I need something in a hurry and one can't do it. I was very pleased with them both. I had heard that some LA quilters wouldn't quilt Minky, but neither of them had a problem with it. Everyone I show the quilts to just raves about the softness of the backing. I think you'll love it, Marsha.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here