Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

Binding with Minky backing

loisflan
12 years ago

To those of you experienced with Minky backing...

How wide do you cut your binding? Wider than the 2.5" that is typically suggested?

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I don't cut mine wider but I do sew it to the backing side and hand stitch on the front when I use minky. It's hard to make it look good on the back by hand.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

I agree, it tends to "creep" a bit.

beverly

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I cut the backing wide enough to wrap it around to the front as binding.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Lois, what size binding did you decide to make for the two quilts with the Minky backings? I am considering using Minky as a backing.

• loisflan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I checked around with several people and ended up doing it as I have for non-Minky backing. I used 2.25" binding, machine stitched it to the front of the quilt and hand sewed it to the Minky. I had no trouble at all. That being said, the quilts have not been used or washed, but I made sure I hand sewed completely through the Minky. I think it will be just fine, and I really like the way the "standard" style of binding looks. The batting I used was Hobb's 80-20 on one and a 100% cotton on the other, Dream Bat, I believe she called it. So they were not thick battings.

I contracted with two different LA quilters, so I could get to know each of them, just in case I need something in a hurry and one can't do it. I was very pleased with them both. I had heard that some LA quilters wouldn't quilt Minky, but neither of them had a problem with it. Everyone I show the quilts to just raves about the softness of the backing. I think you'll love it, Marsha.