Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Spring Quilting Retreat?

K8Orlando
12 years ago

I don't have all the information yet, but I'm posting this now since the Camp Cheerio people will be together and can talk about it a little

There is a group in Florida who puts on quilt retreats in the Leesburg area. This is less than an hour northwest of Orlando so it's very easy to get to. They'll do groups as small as 10 and based on the current group of 15 I'm sure we could get enough.

The place they use is lovely and has either double rooms or private rooms available. Food is included, but doesn't sound as wonderful as what they are about to get in NC! The cost is pretty low for a 4 day/3 night retreat and includes meals. We could even add a local instructor for an additional fee if we want to.

I'll be getting a quote from them within a few days, but I would like to know if anyone is interested in doing a quilt retreat in Florida and when would be the best time? Feb? March? May? (Notice I didn't put April on the list because I already have a trip planned that month for my father-in-law's 90th birthday!) Anything after May gets too hot and too close to the Fall North Carolina retreat.

So, what do you think?

Kate

Comments (19)

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

confirming we have received your news. We'll talk it up here.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I'd be interested......if the price is comparable with Camp Cheerio. It's about 1 1/2 hours east of me.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Me too!!! Spring is OK any time but not close to Easter for me.

I looked them up on the NET and it look really nice.
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I didn't really expect this but they only have three possible weekends for private groups next spring! I know we're no where near ready to make a commitment to this so it probably won't happen. But here's the information anyway. The price seems pretty reasonable for three nights and meals.

These are the options for dates:
    Feb 23-26
    May 3-6
    May 10-13

4 days / 3 nights / 9 meals
    cost per person double $427.00
    cost per person single $502.00

Here is a link that might be useful: Be Sew Creative Quilt Retreats

• gininmn
    12 years ago

I'd be quite interested if it were the Feb. 23-26 dates. That's the week after President's Day weekend (Feb. 18-20) and it's less than 50 miles south of Ocala National Forest which has many great places to paddle.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

There's quite a bit of cost difference from Camp Cheerio. I just took the price and divided by the nights stayed. I don't think we'd need their instructors or anything else....just room and board so maybe they can lower the price??? Since they're geared for quilt retreats, they're already set up for what we'd need in that area.

The quilt shop in Trenton was thinking about setting up a bed and breakfast or something specific for quilt retreats. I haven't heard if they followed through on it or not.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon, what was the cost for Camp Cheerio? The price quote for the FL retreat is the total price for 3 nights and all meals, not price per night. Instructors are extra; $100 - $200 depending on the instructor. I agree that we don't need that.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops! Never mind. I just saw Jennifer's post about the Cheerio cost. You're right: that's a big price difference altho the FL cost didn't seem bad to me.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Kate, I've sent you an email...... @:)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got it! Thanks :~))

• grammyp
    12 years ago

I sent you one, too.

beverly

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got it!

Let's keep looking for a good spring venue. The one I found is too pricey and has too few dates still available. I'm sure there's a great place out there for us though! Maybe someplace by a beach? Maybe we would all be inspired to do Storm at Sea quilts!

Sadly, I don't have time to hunt for a place or arrange to make it all happen, but if anyone else does I'll be happy to help.

Kate

• salijo
    12 years ago

I doubt I would be able to attend anything, but I can't resist a challenge. I found this website that lists quilting retreats by state.

Salijo

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilter's Retreat Guide

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Another option/thought someone maybe wishes to follow through with would be renting a house. I have a quilt friend who rents a house in the Outer Banks (I think) with a small group of her (other) friends for a week each year.

It's a bit different in that you would have to cook, but financially it might work out cheaper, and if you rotated cooking meals, you wouldn't have to do it every day.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I was thinking the same thing, Jennifer. Some of my up-north family does that in Orlando....there's usually a pool so there's no sand coming into the house. Don't have a clue what they pay and I'd be bringing in dinner when it would be my turn....but, I really like the idea of no housework, no cooking, and being waited on.

SharonG/FL

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

A Florida retreat in February or March?? Yah, that's something I would take vacation for.

Faye

• salijo
    12 years ago

Mom, you might want to check with Heather, but $600 for the entire time they were there rings a bell with me. There were were over a dozen people there, although many were children. Another thing to consider is that if several people attend, a house may not have a big enough room for everyone to set up a work area.
    Salijo

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

I have checked on renting a house at the NC coast for a group on our cooking forum. The only drawbacks that I see are a) only enough bedrooms (sharing) for 8 quilters or so and b) lack of space to set up sufficient sewing space.

Cooking meals isn't such a big deal: you stick with simple menus, make a casserole or two ahead if someone is driving to the site, two people cook and two different people clean up. Meals are kept simple and take-out is usually available somewhere. A nice dinner at a local restaurant is possible for one evening. The only time consuming thing is to purchase groceries once you reach the destination.

I'm willing to check out rental vacation homes at the VA, NC, and SC coastal areas for the early spring months. In March and April, there would probably not be a problem of heavy snow fall in these areas. Flying to Raleigh/Durham (RDU) might still involve a rental car to get to the coast. I don't know which airlines fly into Wilmington.

Anyone interested?

Teresa

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Kate, the guild has their retreat at the San Pedro retreat center here in Orlando. I haven't been to one so I don't know about pricing or anything, but it may be an option.

Donna