Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The 2012 Birthday Block Exchange Begins!

Posted by kay_in_pa (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 8, 11 at 12:39

It's time to begin sign-ups for the 2012 Birthday Block Exchange!

This is Jeanne's 3rd year as a coordinator, and I'll be assisting for the first time. We will keep things moving along and provide any help that you need.

The rules will remain the same as last year's and we're using mostly the same list of patterns. However, if a block you'd like as a participant isn't on the list, please let us know. As long as it's not too difficult either Jeanne or I would be glad to add it! Quilters can still request "Quilter's Choice" as a block or request a theme or color combination without asking for a particular block.

Remember that you are making a year long commitment if you sign up for this. Some months may be hectic for you and if you know that, please work ahead. You will have the name and block choice for everyone in your 2012 group this year so it is easy to work ahead. (However, don't mail the block months in advance, just make it and set it aside until closer to the member's birthday.)

This is not for brand new quilters or brand new members to GardenWeb. You must be able to cut fabric accurately and sew a 1/4" seam. You must have been a member of GardenWeb for at least 6 months and have participated in at least 2 swaps --- and you must be someone we can count on. (Prior GardenWeb swaps can be the quilting block lotto, a seed swap in the Gardening Forum, etc. This year's participants qualify for having completed the required swaps -- each month when you sent a block counted as a swap completed.)

There are two steps to signing up this year:

Step #1: You will contact me or Jeanne to get the list of rules and approved blocks. We will send both of those to you by e-mail. All blocks will be 12 inches finished size or smaller.
Step #2: If you agree to the rules, get back in touch with one of us for the sign up form which you must complete and e-mail back to us.

It is best if you do both of these steps by e-mail. The birthday club is lots of fun. Your group members will shower you with mail in your birthday month and you will have 12 blocks of your choice created by these new quilting friends. It makes your birthday month so special!

We have ideas for a name, but will put the final selection up to the birthday block group. So now all we need is your enthusiasm and participation!

Please note that because a lot of people from last year's groups have opted to sit out this year and complete their projects, there will only be ONE group for 2012. Several of those slots are already taken by last year's participants, so if you want to join, jump in soon! If you were a participant last year and already indicated a wish to participate, please email Kay directly. I have some of the names from Jeanne, but need email addresses and birth dates to fill in my blanks! I know that we did have one email bounce back from someone who expressed an interest, so better to email again than be left out!

Kay & Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The 2012 Birthday Block Exchange Begins!

Sign me up please!
Marie

o

Yes, I'm back from a wonderful time at Camp Cheerio! If you ever get the chance to attend, definitely sign up. This was my second year there and it is a beautiful location, wonderful spacious upstairs area for sewing, wonderful friendly quilting friends - new and old - and wonderful food, games, sharing of books and magazines, fat quarters, etc. Even the weather was totally beautiful last year and this year.
Okay, now for the 2012 Birthday Block Exchange. These are the people who contacted me and indicated they want to sign up.

Kay (kay_in-pa)
Jackie (jackie123)
Pat (patti60)
Virginia (macbeaner)
Marie (wynative)
Beverly (grammyp)
Darlene (chickie1)

There may be others who contacted Kay. We are getting oursleves coordinated. Anyway, that makes at least 7 people out of the 13 that are needed to make a group. I know there must be at least 6 more quilters who will want to join in. You do not need to have been in a Birthday Block group before - you just need to have some type of prior swapping history on GardenWeb and should not be brand new to quilting.

I left Kay without the list for what information we need so I apologize about it not coming to you yet. Once we hear from you, we will send the form to you by e-mail. The form is short and simple to fill out. In sending it back to us, you indicate that you read the rules and will follow them.

If you haven't tried the Birthday Block Exchange before, give it a try. Many of us who do not join in 2012 will be busy sewing our blocks together next year because we have done this for several years in a row - some in multiple groups for several years in a row, but these people want to rejoin after a year off. Everyone I talk to really enjoys doing this! It makes your birthday fun when all those envelopes arrive in the mail addressed to you!

I hope everyone had a good weekend.
Jeanne

o

:I e-mailed Kay

Mary

o

At last count, my list has 9 people:

Kay (kay_in-pa)
Jackie (jackie123)
Pat (patti60)
Virginia (macbeaner)
Marie (wynative)
Beverly (grammyp)
Darlene (chickie1)
Mary (tuppermom)
Melissa (hazelnutbunny)

All of the above ladies have been members before so I am putting your name on the list waiting for your information and agreement to the rules to go back and forth. There shouldn't be any problem and I want to give you time to select just the right block to write on your list. If there are any errors or additions, just let me know.

Jeanne

o

Good morning Jeanne,
Glad to hear you had such a good time this weekend and are home safe :)

I sent my info to Kay, thinking that you both should have it. Please send info at you convience.

Marie

o

We only have a few slots left, so if you want to join in, please email me asap!

Thanks,
Kay

o

I want to thank Kay for doing so much to get the group started for next year. She has been so organized and I know things will go smoothly with the swap in 2012. Can you believe that it will be 2012? It seems like just yesterday that we celebrated the year 2000!!!

Jeanne

o

glad you got my note. having troble with my sever. so may only post from my mom's. would you send me a note or i will send you one.

o

We're almost a full group, so if you want to join in, it's time to decide!

I still need block choices back from several people, and as soon as I receive those, I'll get the information packages out to everyone so they can work ahead if they want to.

There are a lot of interesting block patterns to work on that have been submitted so far. So do sign up for an enjoyable year of fellowship and quilting!

Kay

o
RE: The 2012 Birthday Block Exchange Begins! 2 slots left

We only have 2 spots left, and I still need block choices from wynative, tuppermom & chickie1.

To make it easier to understand what each participant is asking for, if you'd like to send me a picture of a finished block or a snapshot of some fabrics that are in the range of colors you want, I'll be glad to post them on a Google Page. That page will be going out to participants as soon as I get all of the patterns back. So think about whether that would be helpful for your pattern or colors, and if so, email me the pictures.

So... slots are going, going, and almost gone! Hope to send out the full info packet to the birthday group by the end of the week.

Kay

o

Kay, I just sent you an e-mail. Please let me know if you didn't receive it. Thanks!
Dan

o

Just to let everyone know, the 2012 Birthday Block Swap is underway.

Watch for postings for "The Icing on the Cake" swap group!

Kay

o

Kay, I received my packet yesterday, too kewl! It looks like it'll do everything but the sewing...lol!
Dan

o

Thanks for doing this, Kay. It's so well organized I can do blocks ahead and still keep them straight.

o

I rec'd my package....it is much more than a list....yesterday and all I can say is WOW! Can one of you come here and organize my stash and sewing area please? I am really looking forward to this birthday swap!

Mary

o

The applause should all be directed at Kay. She did 99% of this and I think it's wonderful, too! Hopefully once this gets going I can help out a bit more with me doing some of the monthly postings and follow up, etc. Kay stepped in during what was a bad time for me - falling and fracturing my pelvis, very sick 12 year old dog/family member (you know about those dogs who are family members, I'm sure) who was very sick for almost 2 months and had to be put to sleep a few weeks ago, 2 weekends of quilt retreat within a 3 week time frame (and one of those where I was teaching a class), and now we are looking at rescue dogs to add a new member to our family. It has been sad, painful, busy, and now hopefully the happy times come along!
Thanks so much, Kay. You are the queen of organization and definitely far beyond me in computer abilities!
I know everyone will have a very fun year in 2012.
Jeanne

o

I'm excited and I'm not even in this group this year. Can't wait to see all the fun you have!

I hope to be in the groups putting previous years BD blocks together.....maybe at the Spring Retreat???????

SharonG/FL

o

I've got my material for the February blocks now, and the patterns are pinned to the wall above my sewing desk. All of which means I can start sewing tomorrow if I get all the pumpkin carving done! Yayyy for Halloween!
Dan

o

Good idea, Dan, and here's another:

I get out 12 quart sized zip lock bags. I print the pattern and fold it in quarters so it will fit in the bag. Then cut the name of the recipient and their colors & address information and add it to the bag. I write the birth date in BIG black magic marker on the corner where I can see it. Then everything goes in a basket in date order. As I find the right fabrics, I tuck them in the bag. And after I make the block, it goes back in the bag until the birth date rolls around. Then the address & block are together and ready to pop in an envelope.

OCD??? Maybe, but it works for me.

Kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here