Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Oct. 19-21

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

After not sewing for a week, I am back at it. I finished the Mario blocks for DS's Christmas quilt and have started working on the quilt for DD. It is made of 5 inch finished log cabin blocks and HST. I am waiting for DD to draw the blocks for her husbands quilt. I hope she gets them to me this weekend.

So, my plans for the weekend are to continue working on DD's quilt and maybe cut sashing and join the blocks for DS.

Are you quilting for this weekend?

Linda OH

Comments (20)

• bev2009
    11 years ago

1) I pulled out the fabric for my DD's Christmas wallhanging and am waiting for a pattern book I bought on Amazon for ten cents. I doubt if it will come today though.

2) Started to pull fabric last night for Nov Lotto block, but need to ask Kate if all 32 triangles need to be different fabrics. I don't have that many.

My daughter is stopping at our house on Sunday with three friends for lunch. So really must do some housecleaning and a little cooking this weekend. But I keep looking here and getting sidetracked. So I do hope to accomplish something this weekend.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Answered my own question for Lotto blocks by looking at Kate's Nov samples. Some of the triangles are the same fabric, so I hope to make some blocks this weekend.

• polardream
    11 years ago

I will put the binding on a charity quilt and try to sandwich the last top I made at Camp. We are watching DS's dog this weekend and have tickets to a hockey game tonight, so that adds to the mix. Both DH & I have colds and are trying to sell the hockey tickets but will go if we can't sell them.
    May try to find some fabrics for the Nov. block lotto, as well.

Sue

• polardream
    11 years ago

I almost forgot - I am going the the APQS road show today to see all of their fun machines! :)
    Sue

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Hope so, because I didn't get to this months block before I left on vacation. Also started a fall pillow for the couch before I left. Haven't installed a zipper in so many years I'll have to read the directions! Better hurry or it'll be time for the Christmas pillows!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Little by little I'm getting the 2011 BOM Love-in-the-Mist blocks together with sashing. Not sure I want to have a 5 inch light border. What do you think? I'll probably have to though in order to make the size come out right.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Love-in-the-Mist

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I think it is very pretty as designed. Are you doing yours in the same colors?

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

One of my grandparents passed away earlier this month and then recently I had to replace my hard-drive so haven't been online in a while. I lost all my internet bookmarks. Thankfully though before my hard-drive died I saved all my important crochet / quilting/ knitting bookmarks on Pinterest. Someone already took the username "quiltingfox" on Pinterest by the time I had joined so if you find a "quiltingfox" on Pinterest it is NOT me. I disconnected my GW email link, as members can use your email to search for you on Facebook - and you lose your internet privacy that way - linking your GW email to your Facebook real name. So until I can create a new email address, will temporarily have GW email disconnected. So if you want your internet privacy I strongly suggest you have separate email addresses for GW and for Facebook accounts.

Back to quilting - I plan to work on my Grandma's quilt this weekend. My favorite S-I-L embroidered a label on to the back of my Grandma's quilt and it looks awesome, she does such beautiful work! And she is setting up a new sewing room as another of her kids moved to college so that was cool to see what she is getting to do with a whole room to use for sewing. All I have left to do on my Grandma's queensize quilt is handquilt 1 12" block, the border and then the binding. So am hoping to have her quilt finished by early to mid-November. So with this being a priority and with Christmas fast approaching I may be sitting out some swaps to get her quilt finished and to make Christmas gifts for family.

It is finally cooling off in the 80's and on a few days here and there the 70's and finally starting to cool off to 40's and 50's and 60's at night - so finally getting some fall weather here. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

My plans this weekend are to make the Nov lotto blocks and finish another 64 patch quilted toted. A friend gave me her fabrics, she doesn't sew and wasn't even sure why she bought the fabrics to begin with...anyway, I've made the front and back and it's funky w/ so many different batiks, I'm looking forward to quilting it.

Also fancy dinner tonight celebrating 24 years of marriage... I bet many of you have that and more... the years do go by quickly!

Sharon...love that quilt, it's very pretty! What colors did you choose? Post pics please...need to see this one.
    happy sewing to all...
    Valarie

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Congratulation, Valarie! Tell me you're not cooking the fancy dinner. LOL DH and I celebrated 39 years a couple of weeks ago. Enjoy your special day.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

QFox, I'm sorry for your loss.

Congratulations, Valarie!

I may get to sew for a bit today, but not sure I feel like it. Y'all may have read on the goals thread that my mom fell and broke her hip Monday. She's really banged up from the fall as well. They were trying to stabilize her mineral levels (low sodium, then low potassium, then low sodium again) and were finally able to do the hip replacement yesterday. So now we have to make plans for rehab, and a little way down the road we'll have to make plans for after rehab! :)

So...life will be crazy for a while. She lives in Lakeland which is about an hour away.

Poor Mark, yesterday was his birthday. I had plans to make peanut butter brownies and cook one of his favorite dinners...I ended up not even getting him a card!

Today we're headed back over to Lakeland - he's going to fix the bathroom window the paramedics had to break to get in her house.

Donna

• quiltingfarmlady
    11 years ago

Sort of... I got the final pages done and sent for the 2013 Birthday Block Swap.

Next I'm starting a "cheater" quilt for grandson born in August. His parents really have no appreciation for "real" quilting, they just want something with his name and birth date to hang on the nursery wall.

I found an out of print Beatrix Potter book panel with most of her characters' portraits.. one per page. Then found an overall matching print for the backing and finally a coordinating color for the sashing and binding.

Today I plan to get those pages all cut into something that can serve as a quilt square. Many of these sewn books aren't printed exactly square, so I may be on here ranting by tonight!

Kay

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I'm using blues and neutrals, so it'll pretty much be like the picture.....kind of. I had so many blue scraps I needed to do something with them and when this came out, and since I like stars, it seemed to be a 'sign' that I should do it. This is the second BOM I've done of LeAnn's so I figured it was safe to attempt. I have half of the center star blocks, sashing and cornerstones together. Maybe a picture after they're all together.

Went to a friend's yard sale today. She had a quilt top made up of squares with various kinds of fabric....something she said her daughter (who now has 2 children of her own) started when she was young. She told me I could have it, along with everything else I had picked up, so figured I'd complete the quilt and give it back to her to give to her daughter.

Donna, Hope things go well for your mom. Hang in there.

SharonG/FL

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finished all the blocks for DD's quilt and have started sewing putting them into rows. Here is a pic of the blocks laid out on my bed.

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Finished the Texas Star quilt, it turned out pretty good, (I did the big-stitch utility quilting on it.) But since learning about FB/Pinterest issue, you won't be getting photos of my projects.

• deedum
    11 years ago

Hi everyone, I am working on a twin size sampler quilt for a charity auction next month. It is a silent auction so I hope it goes well

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Donna, I'm sorry to hear about your mother, I hope she recovers quickly.

Linda, what a cool quilt!

I have a friend who has a birthday in November, and he hinted that he wanted a quilted tote bag so I've been playing with half and quarter square triangles... they aren't perfect, but I'm learning. He plays the piano and sings and his favorite color is pink and he likes rainbows, so I though this would be an appropriate fabric selection.... Not sure if I'll have it done by the 4th... I'm not going to get to work on it tomorrow because I'm going to Ocala to visit my grandmother... she hand quilts (only), and I'm going to bring my rail fence to show her... not done yet, but it's a work in progress.

I nearly had a heart attack last night... I was surfing Craig's List for sewing machines as I frequently do, and found an add for a Bernina 820. I thought they were asking 500 dollars, and just before my heart stopped, I realized there was a 3 in front of the five! Oops... glad I didn't e-mail them! Not quite ready to spend almost as much on a sewing machine as a cheap used car!

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Thanks Donna. Hope your mom has a speedy recovery and the transition back to a normal healthy life is smooth.

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I did get a bunch of squares cut out for the Nov Lotto, but I don't think I have enough for the right look. It may have to wait until Tues and Wed when I can go pick up some fat qtrs.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Returned earlier tonight from a long weekend quilt retreat in the NC mountains with friends in my round robin group. We had a grand time quilting and sewing on our own quilts, holiday stockings for our troops in service, and we are making a quilt for our strong young man who carries all our stuff upstairs for us when we go on these mountain retreats. Poor fellow hauled up 4 machines, 4 suitcases, bags of quilting fabrics, groceries, and a big cooler. We pay him, of course, but we decided it was time to make him a fall-ish quilt. Then he told us he is getting married next September! Perfect timing!

Teresa

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz