Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfarmlady_gw

2013 Birthday Blocks Begin.. Quilter's Dozen

quiltingfarmlady
11 years ago

Just an update to any who are wondering.

Yes, we will have a birthday block exchange for 2013. So that everyone can watch the fun, I hope that this year's quilters post LOTS of pictures! It's so much fun to see the patterns and color combinations.

I received a request that the patterns chosen be posted to the forum as a whole at the beginning of the year, as I know one new quilter who's thinking of sewing along with us as a learning exercise. Now, that's dedication!

So, here's the pattern list for our 2013 Birthday Block Exchange:

January: 12" Card Trick in brights on black

12" Quilter's Choice in blues

March: 12" Any star block in blues and yellows, as in July 2012 lotto

12" Coffee with Jeanne block (a sandlapper_rose design)

9" Cups and Saucers in white with red & white print

April: 12" Louisiana block in Bright Pink, Lime Green and White on White

May: 12" Tulip Lady Fingers in lavender, sage and cream (2 blocks for person filling 2 slots)

August: 12" Snowball Block in sports prints on brown background (corners)

September: 12" Louisiana Block in blues and whites on white background

12" Woven Ribbons in dark & light blue, red and yellow/orange batiks

12" Brasstown Star in autumn golds, browns and cream

October: 12" Depression Block in 1930's prints

Quite a variety, huh? It promises to be a lot of fun to make such a variety of blocks.

If you weren't able to join us this year, then hope to see you in 2014!

Kay

Comments (9)

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

This is my first year and I'm looking forward to it...great idea to put them all out there so some of us can get a jump start. Question: Where can I find the 12" Coffee w/ Jeanne block design?
    thanks,
    Valarie

• quiltingfarmlady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Valarie, check your email for a complete instruction packet provided to the participants. If you haven't received it, send me your email address again, in case I mis-typed it. Or make sure it didn't get caught in your spam filter.

Kay

• polardream
    11 years ago

Got my email this morning and since I have a cold and feeling under the weather, thought I would start to pull my fabrics and see what I need to purchase. I love the variety for this years exchange!
    Sue

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

I read the packet last night, and WOW, do we have a lot of variety! I can see it's going to be another year of learning, which is one thing that brought me back for another year. HSTs still aren't on my favorites list, but that's because I'm still not comfortable using them. I've learned to add 1/4 inch to the patterns directions, and that makes me feel a lot better when I use them in a block... lol! It's going to be a good year!
    Dan

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

Kay,
    Thank you so much for getting this group together for us. I am really looking forward to it. What a great group of blocks (and colors) have been selected!
    I am in Paradise, PA, right now really enjoying the beautiful coountryside; and, of course, stopped at some quilt shops.
    Jeanne

• Kristene Smith
    11 years ago

Kay,
    I'm with Jeanne in Paradise PA - it sure is paradise! We went on an Amish buggy ride around some farms today and saw many tremendous quilts - all hand quilted. A really beautiful quilt was in white muslin, no patchwork, just entirely quilted by hand. It was so intricate you would have thought it was a patched pattern.

My trip is quickly drawing to a close and I'll be back in Australia on 7th Nov - though probably very jet lagged for a few days. Will be hard getting back to cooking after eating out or having friends cook for me.

thanks for all your efforts in setting up this swap and I look forward to doing my part with posting each month next year.

Kristene (tinyteena)

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Dan, I was never a fan of the HST, measuring to the 7/8', sew on either side of the diagonal, cut etc., etc. This year I was introduced to the easy angle tool and while many quilters may poo-poo it, going to class and learning this tool has made HST a breeze for me.

Kristene...It was a pleasure to meet you at the retreat this year. I'm glad you are enjoying the Amish country, it's just an hour or so away from my home base and I do marvel at the handiwork you can find in the area. Also, lots of great quilt stores...The old country store in Intercourse PA and the Log Cabin Quilt Shop in Bird in Hand PA (just a few miles apart) are two of my favorites for great fabric buys. Maybe you'll have a chance to check them out. Enjoy the remainder of your stay in the States...you're a lovely lady, so happy to have met you...looking forward to the Birthday exchange this year. Safe travels.
    V.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Wonderful organization that you have both put together for a year of fun for all. I'm going to try to make some up ahead of schedule. So far my blocks per month have all ended up in a rush.

Isn't the Amish work amazing? Such a treat to visit that area. Hope I'll get a chance to visit Australia some day too.

• patti60
    11 years ago

got my list all printed off and ready to start. i'm in a baazar on the 3rd so after that i'm clear to go. have several of the patterns from the past. so need to find them in that sewing room where you always seem to mislay things.