Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buteau3rd

25 different batiks.

buteau3rd
13 years ago

My daughter gave me 50 fat quarters.....two in each color. She also suggested a pattern that I am not happy about. SO does anyone have an idea for a pattern that wouldn't look too scrappy?

Comments (14)

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

First tell me what pattern you're not too happy about--that way I'll know not to recommend it!

• barbara_l
    13 years ago

How about trip around the world type of pattern, that can be a nice controled 'scrappy' pattern to use. There are lots of variations on this style. Check out quiltville.com for some ideas and just adjust your fabric colors to the ideas that are offered.

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

At first I was not into scrappy but this forum changed me lol!!!
    I am making a scrappy triple Irish chain for my baby sis and off setting it with white. Some of the 2&1/2 inch square are really ugly to me and there is no way I would make an entire quilt with the fabric .
    I like white in quilt anyway, but I find it calms down the scrappy.
    Rosa

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Rosa, Bonnie at Quiltville says if a fabric is still ugly, you didn't cut it small enough! LOL I'm working on her Patches & Pinwheels. My squares are finishing at 1" and you can hide a lot of ugly fabric that way!

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

Donna, that is so funny but so true!!!! One of my 2&1/2 squares is a hideous maroon and with white around it and next to a floral rose it looks great lol!!!!!!
    I love quiltville patterns.
    Rosa

• buteau3rd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The name of the quilt is "ZEN". Because If I want to follow the design, there will be NO Eleanor Burns methods. This quilt looks so easy, and wish saw the pattern before she bought the fabric. I am not that patient.... to figure out how to make this quilt happen. This batik is so beautiful, and I think the pattern wouldn't do it justice.
    AND, I need cutting directions. The pattern gives directions for ONE square. One at a time??

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

I'm not sure I've got the right Zen quilt in mind, but if you have 25 different fabrics and you like Eleanor Burns, have you looked at the Jewel Box pattern?

Here is a link that might be useful: Nice pic of a Jewel Box quilt on black

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

Is it this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down for one called Zen

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

Or this one....

Here is a link that might be useful: Penny Lane

• murphy_zone7
    13 years ago

I like the Turning Twenty patterns for using Fat Quarters. There are several versions, some cut the fabric smaller than others. The basic Turning Twenty is simple, quick, and easy to make. In my opinion, it would showcase the batiks by leaving them in larger pieces. Also, it only takes 20 FQ to make a quilt so with your 50, you could make two quilts. I used 30 FQ to make a king size Turning Twenty Again pattern.
    Twice the fun!!
    Just another thought for you....
    Murphy

Here is a link that might be useful: Tricia Cribbs website with the various books available

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I just saw this quilt on another forum ~ sewn in beautiful blue batiks. It is very, very pretty, in my opinion.
    The quilter made it in a week, said it was fast and super easy. It is the same pattern patsy linked.

Google -"Zen" from better homes & gardens 'quilt lovers' favorites' book - & her you will find it. (I don't think GW allows linking to another forum :)

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

oops - sorry- just realized you wanted a suggestion for another pattern, not opinions on the "Zen".
    I've linked a quilt that would be easy and also showcase the batiks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Batik Quilt

• buteau3rd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Problem solved.....daughter solved it herself! A picture on the back cover of Eleanor Burns "Quick Trips"....which I already own, there is a picture of... IMHO.... a perfect one for batiks.
    Why didn't we find it at the beginning??....cuz that is not the way life works. Plus the fact that the book was not here.
    Thank you everyone for trying to help........not an easy one.

• Joan Dupuis
    13 years ago

I came across one using Batik fabrics that I find beautiful. It uses the "disappearing 9 patch" pattern, but not sure of size of block, amount of fabric required, etc. Wish I could find out, as I'd like to make this one myself.