Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

LOTTO 2014 - November

K8Orlando
9 years ago

Welcome to the November LOTTO!
(Posting this one early for those who want to get a jump on the end-of-year blocks.)

Valarie and I will not be coordinating the Lotto for 2015. If you are interested in taking it over, either as an individual or with a partner, please step forward. It's fun (really!) and it helps our forum stay fresh & interesting. Of course, we'll be happy to help you get started. Contact either of us if you have questions.

The lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. It's good practice and the winner will appreciate your efforts! Typically, the winner receives enough blocks to complete a nice size quilt. It could be YOU!

November - MOON - This one is a TRIPLE Irish Chain and it makes a huge 22" block; just a few blocks would make a nice, large quilt. There are a lot of squares but they are all 2.5" x 2.5". The colors can be everything from black to gray to blue, with a light gray background.

These aren't the colors, but this is how the block is laid out. Each little square finishes as 2" (cut 2 1/2 "). Use your darkest color in the center where the yellow blocks are in the image. Then medium shades in the next two squares and light gray for the background.

Link to the pattern: Triple Irish Chain

And of course we need an inspiration picture!

The details:
- Each month there will be a designated block or theme; you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks.
- The November blocks must measure 22.5inches x 22.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation.
- Please include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)
- If possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block. This is not a requirement, just a request.
- All blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing, unless you request that your name not be entered. Some months you might want to participate, but don't really want to win the blocks. That's OK.
- You have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in.

Mail your block(s) to Valarie [littlehelen]. She will manage the collection of blocks and dispersal to the winner. If you need her mailing address, you may request it by sending her a message at littlehelen at comcast dot net.

REMINDER: The 2014 LOTTO is officially over with the November Moon block. There is no December block because historically none of us has enough time in December to make one! But please consider checking out the 4th quarter special lotto, posted in October 2014. It's a large and slightly complicated block but you have the entire 4th quarter to make it. It's a beauty and I think you'll want to give it a try!

It's been a true pleasure to be involved with the coordination of the LOTTO in 2014. Thank you all for your participation and interest. I love this forum and value this community of quilters, whether you participate or lurk! Hugs to all.

Kate
Happy quilting!

Comments (45)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Kate, After reading the post last night about changing, I absorbed the instructions and, how easy!!! I had planned on making one today, but I don't think the gray I have is light enough for the background. DRAT!!! I'll have to wait until I get somewhere to buy some...or order it. :-) Looking forward to this one.

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    9 years ago

There is a McCall's pattern for this but instead of using individual squares, they use strip piecing. The result is the same but the background is not squares but strips. Kate, will you look at it and see if that is an alternative way of doing the block. Or should we all do the one you have linked to? Consistency! Thanks
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Is this it, Theresa? It appears to be the same only Kate's uses scraps and this one uses strips of fabric. I was going to use the same fabric so could do the strips but kind of like the simplicity of squares. To each their own......looks like the end result will still be 22 1/2 inches.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: McCall's Triple Irish Chain using strips

• nannykins
    9 years ago

That is the one, Sharon. I think I would prefer it because there are fewer seams, less chance to be slightly off in size. But I will wait for Kate's answer. Had a good productive morning and am now having a rest.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tried to post earlier but it wouldn't stick!

Yes, any method is fine. I was probably going to strip piece it anyway, since I won't be doing mine scrappy. Thanks for posting the idea and the link!

kate

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I have mine laid out on my sewing table. Might be able to get it sewn together tonight. I'll try to post a picture when done...

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Finished my November block on Sunday.... She's a big block!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I should get mine done by Friday!

This post was edited by k8orlando on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 8:22

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

I'm starting to really like this block! Really like the one you made, Val.

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I've gotten mine done. I'm not sure I like so much; what I thought was a medium grey fabric, now looks too light in my eye. This is why I don't do scrappy!

Oh well. It is what it is... I give permission to whomever wins it You do not need to use it if you don't wish. I won't be heartbroken either way.

• polardream
    9 years ago

I finished one block tonight and will mail it tomorrow with my October blocks.

Sue

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This block is huge! I knew it was big, but when you put it together... this block is huge! This has the potential to be a spectacular quilt.

It goes together quickly even though it has lots of pieces - strip piecing is a beautiful thing, right? - and it's excellent practice for getting your seams to line up.

In this picture, the blue looks a bit purple but in real life it's blue.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Ok, I'm going to send mine in along with the Christmas one.

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Valarie, I sent the November and December block today.....they said delivery should be Saturday.

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Sharon, your blocks arrived Saturday....both are lovely!
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Thanks for letting me know, Val. I'd like to make more of the November block but haven't decided on colors yet. It will be scrappy but controlled scrappy with the same fabric for the center of the X. :-)

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Hi,
    I just returned from vacation yesterday...aahhh it felt heavenly to be away! Before I start back in the weekly grind, I wanted to check on the November blocks. Thus far I have received blocks from:

-Jen
    -Polardream
    -SharonG
    -K8
    -Littlehelen (me)

Should I expect more blocks? If so, please let me know. I expect to do the winner on or about Wednesday, 12/3.

Thank you,
    Valarie

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If we only had one more coming, it would still be a nice sized lap quilt. Anyone else interested? It's not a difficult patter at all - as you can see it's just a bunch of squares. Anyone else?

Kate

(Val, I think I'm about to start on the Bonnie Hunter Mystery so please don't include me in this drawing. I can't take on another project!!!)

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Sometime within the next couple of weeks, I could make one, but I don't want to be included in the drawing. I'd be willing to send it to the winner when I'm done, however. There's just no way I could fit it in this month. Just let me know, please!! :)

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Beth...that sounds fine to me...Thanks so much. I'll try to have the drawing complete on Wednesday evening.
    Thanks again!
    V.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Val, I'm on it. Project for today! I wanted to try this one, anyway, but just couldn't fit it in before Thanksgiving.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gorgeous block, Beth! Thanks for participating!!!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Hey Beth, Are you in for the drawing? Your block is really pretty.!
    Valarie

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Sure, Val... I'm in!! The blocks are gorgeous...so many possibilities!! Whoever wins..........Wins! :) Bonne chance!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

OK... Who ever is on line...select your favorite number between 1 and 4 inclusive of 1 and 4....Big block, small numbers!
    V.

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

How about ......3!!!!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

thanks MRG...

WoHoo #3 is Sharon G...geezerfolk!

CONGRATULATIONS SHARON...our November winner!!!

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Yay! My favorite GeezerGal won! Beautiful blocks!
    Congrats!

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Awesome!! Congrats, Sharon! You have a gorgeous set of blocks there! Have FUN!!! Wooohoooooo!!!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Congrats Sharon!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I won?! WoooooHoooooo.......I've felt so loved with the wins this year! More quilts for the needy! Thank you!!!!

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    9 years ago

Congrats, Sharon! I know they will go to a good cause.

Sue

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Congrats, Sharon. I know you will put them to good use.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Congratulations Sharon!
    Theresa

• bev2009
    9 years ago

Good for you, Sharon! I know you will make a beautiful quilt out of the blocks.

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Have fun, Sharon!! Congrats!

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Who, hoo! Congrats
    LindaB/CA

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Received the blocks today, Val. Not sure what I'll do with them yet, but have a couple of ideas floating in my head. Thank you!

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    3 years ago

So, it's taken 5 years and this is how I was going to see them together.

But then, I decided to take out the lighter 2 and use them for medallions or something and have ended up with this 44 1/2 x 44 1/2 square. Will be donated. :-)

• msmeow
    3 years ago

Nice, Sharon! I like the blues a lot.

Donna

• polardream
    3 years ago

I remember that block! I like your final decision on putting it together.

Sue

• jackier123
    3 years ago

Nice little quilt. You must be organized to know when you got them. I am pulling out tops to quilt that I swear I have never saw before LOL

• Sharon Gratz
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thank you, Donna. Sue, Even though it's smaller, (and square) it's still a good size for a child to cuddle in.......or even to use in a wheelchair. Jackie, I didn't remember..... someone way more organized put the date on the back of their block with their name. lol I thought it would be good to post in the original thread if anyone wonders what I did with them in another 5 years. lol

• bev2009
    3 years ago

I really enjoyed the Lotto that year. I loved how Valerie and Kate used an inspirational picture for the color selection. Since I struggle a little with color selection, it was a challenge for me. I don't remember how many months I contributed, but I loved seeing what everyone else made.

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA