Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judy333_gw

Need a Hot Iron Carrier

judy333
16 years ago

HELP!!!

At a recent quilt workshop, I brought my wonderful Rowenta iron for the ladies to use. However, a problem arose when the workshop was over. How in the world does one safely transport the hot iron back home in one's car??? I unplugged the iron 15 minutes before I left, but it was still very hot. Is there such a thing as a hot iron carrier? Is it something one makes with special fireproof fabric/material? I've "googled" it and can't seem to find anything commercial.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Judy in Massachusetts

Comments (11)

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

We would have our students wrap their hot soldering irons in newspaper. They would unplug when class ended, put all of the other tools & supplies away and then wrap the iron. By that time it was cool enough to not scorch the paper even though it was too hot to hold. It may not be stylish but it works.

Did you ever have to read the book Fahrenheit 451? The number "451" refers to the temperature (in Fahrenheit) at which a book or paper burns.

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

Judy,
    Below is a link to an iron "slipper". This site sells them, but I don't think it would be too hard to make it.
    Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iron Slipper

• quiltldy
    16 years ago

I bought a small galvanized pail. I painted it and decorated it. I just put the hot iron down in the pail, you have a handle to carry it to your car and it works great. I have never had a problem with it scratching the iron.

• csackett
    16 years ago

June Tailor makes a good one. I bought 4 of them on clearance at Hancocks (1.99 each). I thought they would make good gifts for my quilting friends. I made a draw string type bag and used the ironing board fabric and several layers of batting. It works well, too.

Carolyn

• maryliz
    16 years ago

This is just frugal little me, but if I needed an iron carrier for just one class once in a great while, I'd try to use what I already have. I would fill my turkey roasting pan with 100% cotton towels, and be sure to cool the iron off for a while before I wrapped it up in there.

The galvanized bucket idea sounds great, too.

If you want to make some kind of insulated iron carrying pouch, I supposed you could model it after a casserole carrier.

Joann's has a type of insulated batting in the interfacing section. It is called Insul-Bright, and is made by the Warm Company. It can be used to make pot holders, oven mitts, table pads, etc. There is a particular side that goes toward the heat, to reflect heat back toward the source. Be sure to get the printed instructions if you buy it. They are wrapped around the batting.

• judy333
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for some wonderful ideas!

• dsbagley
    12 years ago

I know your post was from a few years ago, but just in case you are still looking for an iron cover, this is what I did!
    Super Simple Iron Cozy!
    http://www.sewwequilt.com/2011/09/guest-36-nan-with-her-one-hour-iron.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Sew we quilt

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

dsbagley~thanks for the link! I just might make one also.
    Feel free to post a picture of yours!

• cbcquilter
    11 years ago

I saw a pattern for one at Nancy's Notions. It also converts to an ironing pad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Travel Iron Tote Pattern

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

This is interesting....did anyone else notice that the original message was in October 2007! How far we have come in 5 years on the internet. Now a google search for an hot iron carrier will turn up thousands and thousands of hits.
    Anyway, to contribute to this discussion, I recently made a caddy for my new little travel iron. I simply made one of those humbug bags, aka teepee bags, pyramid bags, (and I don't know all the other names this bag is called). Anyway, it works great, did not have to purchase a pattern, and it protected everything when I had to get in my car with a hot iron. Layered insul brite, batting, and ironing board material inside, works perfectly and also provides a good storage container when not on the road!
    Murphy

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting