Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karpet_gw

I'm starting a new, disturbing trend

karpet
11 years ago

Okay, last month I undid a binding that I was already hand-sewing to the back and replaced it (and was glad I did.) Now, I just undid an applique silhouette piece and am going to re-do it with fusible. I just was not able to get the sharp details of the silhouette with turning the edge under, so I'm doing my first ever fusible applique to keep the details sharp and then zig-zag the edge.

I never thought I would tear out work that took me hours to do, but I'm afraid I've crossed over to the place where I'm more concerned about how it looks than that it is done quickly. This is going to greatly reduce my productivity! *Sigh*.

Karlene

Comments (8)

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Karlene~welcome to my world :~)
    It can be a very lonely place......where only YOU notice the imperfections that force you to try to be better skilled. But in the end, if your work makes you happy (or unhappy)~ that is your reward. I look at being "picky" as a positive ~ others, including my DH, think it is a negative.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I'm the same with my applique. But! I am just going to leave it as is (from now own lol) and this will be just for me and I can look at it and see my improvements. Which I already know has to be a HUGE improvement!!

I know quilters that are so pleased with their work and it is ugly and sloppy, TO ME. As long as they can live with it.....too many of us can not. If I don't think something I'm working on looks good, I know it will get pushed into the closet with the door slammed shut.

Then again we notice our mistakes and others do not.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

If it makes you crazy to look at it, then it needs to be fixed. Some things I can live with and some I can't. For each of us and for each project, it's probably a different point but in the end we have to do what we have to do.

• calliope
    11 years ago

I don't see it as such a big line to cross. I think if you are doing new work, and know you won't be able to tolerate anything less than perfection, it is easy to stop immediately when you see any quality issue less than acceptable and address it before it goes very far. It's a lot easier to tear out a few inches of quilting than a whole quilt. The binding issue, well I can see how sometimes a whole binding is on and you notice you don't just love it. Then it's a personal issue you just gotta live with or fix. LOL. I notice I do stop more often when I am making a quilt if I am not completely satisfied and change courses or make corrections. I don't succumb to being tempted to just finish it up if I'm not pretty sure I will be satisfied.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Okay, I'll fess up. I have a baby quilt that I'm not happy with - one of the machine appliqued boats looks a little "off kilter"? It is Wonder-Undered down. Do I dare try to pull it up? Will it leave residue on the quilt? or color? I have to put another boat in its place.

Do I just live with it and "git 'er done?"

Help! Please!

Teresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Ahhhhh Teresa, you know very well we cannot answer for you. If it's just a 'little' off kilter, maybe an anchor will help. lol

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Teresa~you cannot get the residue off ~ this is a question I asked Sue Nickles at a workshop. Once it is heat set, it is supposed to be permanent.
    Have you already stitched it? Unless you are able to replace it as a new block, I would live with it.
    As a boater in real life......there's always a boat "off kilter", especially true in a race-I only hope it isn't the one I'm in! lol

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Good news! Babies aren't picky yet about their quilts ;-)