Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can it be done?

Posted by biinaboo (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 10:42

I know that quilting with reclaimed fabric can be a crap shot but I'm willing to give it a shot at a chance to create something cool with my kids outgrown baby clothes. I know a stabalizer will help keep those knits in check and I've come across a pattern that can accommodate the verying sizes of text/prints. The thing is, I have so many cute piece that I want to incorporate but only want a lap or crib size. Would it be silly to have 'tops' on both sides? Has it been done? Is there a hard fast rule why 'backs' are usually more simple?

Thanks a million
Kristiina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can it be done?

I believe you are wanting to make a "reversible quilt", that is the top and backing are both pretty.

No, quilt backings do not have to be "simple".

o

Yes, do it. Just treat it as a backing. I have made quilts that are reversable.

o

Awesome!!! Thanks ladies. Would it be more visually appealing to have the same pattern on both sides or change it up?

o

Keep in mind it will be thick. You will have double the seams to quilt through so you'll need to try and not let seams lay in same spots on both sides and quilt it with something simple like straight lines using feed dogs up. It will be bulkier but a real treasure if you can do it.

o

Thanks toolgranny. That's something I didn't think about.

o

If it gets too thick, use a thinner batting or use flannel as the batting, just be sure to wash it a couple of times with hot water and dry with high heat. Flannel shrinks like crazy so do it before you use as batting. Or if you have a lot of the clothes, why not just make 2 quilts? Your post did indicate kidS as in multiple :)
just a thought

o

I would indeed make more than one quilt.

o

I usually do a pieced back because I like to use up my fabric. Fabric is so expensive, and it seems so practical and interesting to use it that way. I made a quilt for a great niece of mine, and I arranged the pieces in the back to be a giant purple checker board. She and her sister tell me they love to play checkers in her room on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here