Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Name this Quilt

This is a D9P with crumb blocks placed in the 4 corners, med/light blue at the mid 4 spots of the 9-patch and dark blue in the center. It's for the mother of my oldest great-granddaughter who said her mom's fav color is blue. She has since had 3 more children and I made quilts for each one. She said she would pay me to make her a quilt, but I would rather give it to her. From what I understand, she's trying to make a better life and even though this quilt is made with itty-bitty scraps of fabric, I'd like the name to give her some kind of encouragement. She has always been respectful to me and I wish things had turned out differently for her.

SharonG/FL

Comments (29)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Sharon, I don't have any names to suggest, but I really like the quilt!

Donna

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

Your quilt reminds me of colorful kites in the sky. Lots of inspirational quotes for kites. I like this one:

"I made you a kite so you would have to look up."

Rebecca

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

"Lights in the Sky" comes to mind. Nice job, Sharon.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Love it. Might try the idea myself.
    "Patchwork of Dreams" comes to mind.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

"Blue-ti-ful Days Ahead"
    "Follow the Blue-ti-ful Path"

Very Nice of you to make and give her a quilt. Goes to show you how much it means to be respectful. I applaud her for that!

I like what you did - I bet it looks even better in real life. Good use of those crumb blocks. Did you sew them on a muslin foundation?

I guess you can't name it - "Leave the Crumby Life Behind"-
    not inspirational enough? :) or too much to the point? LOL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Sharon - I meant to delete the Crumby Life comment -sorry-please don't be offended by my lack of good taste :)

I've had a crummy week - and it shows. I won't comment anymore until I find my manners - promise.

I really do like your quilt though! And I'm saving my scraps!

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

"High Hopes"?

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

It was so sweet of your GD to ask for a quilt for her!

I applaude your sweet thougtfulness. It is a very special quilt!

Both of you are dears!

Gwen

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Well, as you all know, I don't name quilts (because I suck at it, LOL). My son didn't even have a name until he was 3 days old. So I'm no help there.

But Sharon, that is a truly lovely quilt, and so special for you to make it for GGD's mother. I'm sure it will be appreciated.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions everyone, and Marsha, the comment didn't offend me at all.....it wasn't anything I haven't been thinking the whole time.....something like the lemons and lemonade saying.

I think I like using crumb blocks in a different way, unless the blocks that are sliced would be plain and all the same. Not really sure....that might make it look better, too.

The suggestions are good.....I'm thinking. @:)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

"Blue Skies"

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

Picking up the Pieces?

• calliope
    12 years ago

...........Well, as you all know, I don't name quilts (because I suck at it, LOL). My son didn't even have a name until he was 3 days old........

Sitting here, laughing, Mary C. I don't name quilts either and for much the same reason. The only exception has been for registered dogs, and for some reason the AKC has always liked the ones I suggested. I got ya beat. My daughter wasn't named for seven days after she was born. The nurses were so peeved, they said they wouldn't dismiss me until I coughed up a name for her. I was in labour for her 48 hours, and it was in a tiny, new hospital in the hills of the Ozarks and they wouldn't induce until the doc showed up and he was out in them thar hills making house calls. I was tired, what can I say?

However, I can relate to struggling with little ones under my wing, and had a hard time at one point in my life. Can music save you? I like to think so. I remember that song "I can see clearly now.........the rain is gone". It came just when I needed it. So my suggestion is "The Rain is Gone" it just looks like kites in a sunny, blue sky. Happy quilt!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

These are all good, but "Looking Up" and "The Rain is Gone" are my favorites!

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

I like "The Rain is Gone", too. I've always loved that song! Uplifting and cheerful.

And, um, Calliope, it was actually 5 days before Paul had a name, - I just felt embarrassed about the length of time, so fudged it, LOL. I think he's forgiven me, because he really hated all the other names on the list.

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

Reminds me of ships signal flags very nice

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

How about Fair Sailing ?

• grammyp
    12 years ago

It does look like signal flags. I like Fair Sailing, good name Minnie.

beverly

• day2day
    12 years ago

My Blue Heaven or My Blue Haven

~Geraldine

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blue Heaven

• day2day
    12 years ago

Forgot to mention...I added the link because I love that song.

~Geraldine

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Add me to the suck at naming things. My dh is good for that (he named both of our kids, but he picked good ones!). I agree, it looks like sky, so something to do with that would be very fitting.

Robbi

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can't chose just one!!! Is this too sappy? You guys are awesome!!! I still need another stanza.....

The Rain Is Gone

Wishing you Fair Sailing and Clear Blue Skies as you Keep Looking Up
    Wishing you Days of Sunshine as Blue-tiful Dreams are made to come true from the Patchwork of Life.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I don't think it's too sappy at all and I don't even think you need another stanza. Seems perfect just the way you have it.

• salijo
    12 years ago

I love all of the suggestions, but I really, really love THE RAIN IS GONE. The next stanza can come from the same song....IT'S GONNA BE A BRIGHT, BRIGHT, SUN-SHINY DAY

Salijo

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like it, Sal! Won't be long and the quilt will be in your hands.

I think I'm more excited about the words than I am the quilt!! lol

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Beautiful quilt from a big hearted lady!!!

When I was divorced (long time ago lol) my ex's family cut off all ties with me and my children, even their grandmother. Their religion didn't believe in divorce.

I admire anyone that trys to keep in touch, it's so important for the children.
    Rosa

• Gracecreates
    12 years ago

this quilt is very colorful and done nicely. since she has always been respectful the name can be Let your light shine brightly.

• salijo
    12 years ago

The emphasis should be that she's always been respectful "to my mom." I took her into my home for over a year and she treated me like crap.

But I try to stay on her good side for my grandaughter's sake.

Salijo

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I respect you for that Salijo!!! Your granddaughter is the most important thing.
    Rosa