Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

Questions about Camp Cheerio retreat

loisflan
9 years ago

Okay, so I know this is a little early to be planning for next year, but I was just thinking about how I would get to Camp Cheerio. It looks like you would fly into Greensboro, NC, is that correct? Then you would rent a car and drive to the camp? When does the retreat begin? In other words, when can you check in? When do you check out? Anything else I should know for planning purposes?

Comments (12)

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Retreat starts Thursday afternoon, first meal is dinner Thursday. Last meal is Sunday breakfast (we have an option of making a sandwich sack lunch for Sunday). We can stay and sew later on Sunday if we want. We just check in with Jennifer, and the camp people let us come and go as we wish. Sometimes I stay till lunch and leave after I eat. Some do fly into Greensboro or Charlotte and rent a car or meet up with someone else and share a car. Those details can be worked out. Sometimes you can meet up with someone along the way and drive together. We have rooms with private bathrooms (usually) and unless there is a big group we do not have to share rooms. The rooms are very simple, no TV, no fancy fixins, but clean and functional. Meals are included and are fantastic. We do have to walk (or drive) to the dining hall, but it is not far. We have full use of our work room, they provide tables, chairs, coffee, tea, ice, and cookies in the evening. We can work all night if we wish, and some of us do. We can use the other facilities of the camp if we want to (walking trails, tennis courts, soccer field, archery, wall climbing, zip line, canoes ... You can bring your own supplies, or share the cutting boards, rulers, rotary cutters, design boards etc that we bring. If you need a machine, many of us have extra machines we can bring. It is a very informal group, we have fun, do lots of projects, and just relax.

If we can be of any more help just ask. It is so worth coming.

beverly

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

If you want to fly into Raleigh (RDU) or Greensboro (PTI?) I can come pick you up on Thursday morning and drive us to Camp. Then I can get you back to your airport after breakfast on Sunday.

I've done this in the past, I'm fairly close to both airports (easier from Greensboro) and it would save you from having to rent a car. If you want to see more of the area (wine trail) or go to Mary Jo's in Gastonia, then you would need to take extra days and rent a car.

We do all those things Beverly posted, plus we talk and laugh.....a lot!

Teresa

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

It's never too early to plan for next year! I will talk with them this week to pay them for this year, and then get on their calendar for next year. As soon as I confirm that, I will post the dates on the forum...usually the Columbus Day weekend.

There's no official check-in like at a hotel. We can/do arrive anytime after lunch on Thursday. This year I was there by noon & I really liked that. We leave anytime Sunday that we want...usually we're all gone by noon, but could really stay later if we wanted.

• polardream
    9 years ago

In the past we have sometimes had "mini-classes" on how to make something. A supply list was sent out at least 3 weeks in advance so you have time to get anything you need. They are taught by the people coming to camp. This year Jennifer showed us how to make a faux-piping binding (even though it wasn't planned) and I had enough fabric to do it on a quilt I was finishing. It turned out great and I will use the method again.
    Sue

• loisflan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the information and for your generous offer of a ride, Teresa. I hope I will be able to join you next fall. I can't stand all that fun going on without me.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

You will have a blast Lois!

beverly

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Lois...put this on your retirement calendar for 2015!

• polardream
    9 years ago

Bumping this up ... Jen, have you talked to the camp and set a date yet? I am already booking out stuff into November so want to make sure I can come to camp!!!

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I will try to contact them again this week. They were unwilling to talk dates last fall, I think.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Jennifer, I have emailed you......

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I have received your email, Sharon, and have replied! ;)

For everyone else, there is a hiccup in the Retreat details for this year. I will keep everyone posted as things are worked out. ...