Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Placemats

Posted by stitcheasy2003 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 25, 10 at 10:20

Hello
Been thinking of making placemats but first want to ask some questions.
Q1: Do you have a favorite placemat pattern that you use?
Q2: Do you always use batting?
Q3:Should the placemat always be quilted?
Q4: Should the fabric be wash first? If not, would it make the fabrics(front and back)be loosen or extra fabric overlap?
Q5: What is the average size for placemats?
Thank you B.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Placemats

I made Christmas placemats and I used an old placemat for measurements, it's about 12&1/2 by 17&1.2.
You can also make round placemats.
I did use batting and I quilted mine, they aren't used a lot. There was a post here a while back and the placemats were denim with a bandana sewn on for the tableware. They were not quilted and they were adorable.
Rosa

o

I make place mats and use them all the time, and have gotten all my patterns from the magazines. Lots of nice styles offered. I found that fat quarters are a perfect size to use. Mine are somewhere around 14 by 17 inches, as I like them a bit larger. I do use a thin cotton batting and don't wash the fabric, but will definately quilt them, usually with a diagnal line about 1 inch apart. I also will make matching napkins when I make them as a gift.

o

I answered at the sewing forum.
Kathi

o

Quilt in a Day has a Star placemat pattern that I like.

Vicky

Here is a link that might be useful: A Star for all Seasons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here