Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709659

You've got me started again!

User
15 years ago

I've been wanting to get quilting again but purposely put it off this summer until I achieved a certain level of decluttering this house. Then, when I hit that point I have that feeling I get all the time when I start a new quilt - it's overwhelming...where am I going to set up so I can leave things for awhile to sew the top....

So I started again thanks to the inspiration from all of you!

You saw this last fall:

{{!gwi}}
Based upon the pattern 'Storm at Sea' but I modified it.

This is my new work area:

{{!gwi}}

And here is my progress this weekend:

{{!gwi}}

Thanks for the inspiration! What's happening in your sewing corner?

Comments (10)

• calliope
    15 years ago

OOOOOOh, that's going to be pretty!

• wodka
    15 years ago

I don't know much about quilt making, but I love the colors you have chosen - it is going to be absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to see how it all progresses. How talented you are.

Jan

• yankandtex
    15 years ago

Beautiful colors! This is going to be so pretty. Can't wait to see it finished!! Patti :-)

• gerizone5
    15 years ago

Blues and greens is my favorite combination-- it will be a beautiful quilt. I see you have a Janome machine. Can you tell me about it and why you like/dislike it. I was looking at some at a quilt show and they were soooo expensive--of course they were the top of the line. I could use more throat space on my machine.

Geri

• calliope
    15 years ago

I want to know, too. I use a modern elcheapo lately, although I have an very nice older Necchi (sic?) I should be using once I get it cleaned and adjusted. I also use a treadle but mine is not the best sewing machine, too touchy. I have several treadle frames and cabinets, and Janome makes a non-electric machine for the Amish population. I wondered about the quality of them, since they aren't sold in this area.

• carolek
    15 years ago

I just finished my return to quilting, so I know it will release those wonderful feelings you have put on hold. I too am surprised you sew with so little extra space. I guess it works for you. Love the colors, too.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your comments.
    As for this particular machine, it's a Janome Harmony 2049. A basic manual sewing machine. You can find them under $200. It's a cheap machine but works fine for me right now. I am looking to buy their Janome Memorycraft 6600P in the new year. My present machine would be fine for basic sewing, making clothes and a starter machine. I have a featherweight and a treadle machine (waiting for a new wooden top...from DH). I've not used the featherweight yet - it's coming out soon because of all the wonderful feet I've purchased for it. I want a better machine to do machine quilting and fancy stitches and more. If you already have a basic sewing machine that works fine this would be equivalent to that one - more or less.
    Today I decided I will be embellishing this quilt with bright orange embroidery in spots to make it all pop. Not shown are the flower blocks I purchased on ebay. I'll show those later when the top is finished.
    Now, as for sewing space...I am supposed to have a sewing room in my basement but it's full of furniture awaiting pickup now - going on 4 months (grrrrrrr). Things will be moving soon! I can sew just about anywhere. It's not the greatest set up right now but everything is handy and I can still iron while plugged into my tunes!
    I'm looking forward to see what's on your plate right now! Do share.
    Cheers,
    Peggy

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I love the colors. Keep us posted as the quilt progresses.

I laughed about your tunes. When I'm sewing I have a little speaker setup so I can plug in my iPod and listen to books I've downloaded. It's reading and quilting at the same time! What could be better than that? lol I'm addicted to both.

Kate

• chrizty
    15 years ago

LOL i had to laugh cause your sewing area looks like mine!
    i have everything cramed on a little table:) were there's a will there's a way:)
    your blocks look great! love the colors n prints you picked out. keep us updated
    i can never get my points right with my mechine. still not use to it.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chrizty I keep checking as I sew my points, I place my fingernail right on the spot where the point is below and sew right next to it (allows room for the fabric to fold back). I used to pin but now I'm comfortable using my fingernail. I'm not afraid to pull the thread out and redo the piecing if it doesn't look good enough. I never quilt to be in a rush and with every project I complete I seem to be getting fussier about my work. It's a continued learning curve each time. Keep on sewing, you will get more comfortable over time.

Thanks again for the positive comments. I'm an avid gardener so the colours are some of my favorites too.