Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Question: ribbon borders

K8Orlando
12 years ago

Does anyone have a pattern for a ribbon border? I've looked at the ones on Quilterscache.com but I'm wondering if there's anything else, maybe a little bit more detailed or ornate. I want to do a black, white, and black/white print border around a big red poppies print and need something that will really set off the center. I've tried Curling Ribbon, but I don't love it as much as I wanted to.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilterscache.com Borders / Curling Ribbon

Comments (13)

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Teresa is the border person! She has a book with a zillion borders and she taught a little border class at Camp from another book by Pat Speth. A few cuts of a 5" square, and you can make a variety of different borders. I am going to buy the book.

Please post a picture of the Poppy center. please...please

Here is a link that might be useful: Pat Speth Boarder Book

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I found this one, Kate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bow and Ribbon border

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, both! That bow and ribbon border is very interesting and something I may be able to use on this wallhanging. (or the next one!)

I have wanted to buy Pat Speth's Amazing Nickel Quilts book - the first one - for a long time but haven't done it. I so rarely buy quilt books, but I may need that one AND her border book.

• day2day
    12 years ago

Sharon, that bow and ribbon border is beautiful. I will have to bookmark that site.
    Thanks.

~Geraldine

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Eleanor Burns does one using half square triangles that's lovely and very easy. I could duplicate it but can't find it online to show you.

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I did the curling ribbon one on two edges of my blue/white mystery quilt. You can see it hanging from the bottom rail of the Camp Cheerio quilt show picture..somewhere about middle, as I recall.

Maybe you could post a picture of the center and that'll spur ideas.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The center is just a panel I purchased. It's not even intended for quilting; it's a Japanese gift wrapping cloth. Bright red with a few white poppies. I'm using it for a wallhanging for my home office. The wall is visible through the top part of a window so the image has to be bold to be seen by anyone walking by. Any details will be lost.

Kate

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is the poppies panel. It's 30"x30" and even brighter red than it shows in the image.

{{!gwi}}

The plan right now - always subject to change as I lay things out to see how I like it - is to use a tiny metallic gold border first, then a thin black-on-black border of maybe an inch, then the black/white ribbon border, then another thin black-on-black border. At the last quilt show I found some wonderful black/white batik prints and a 5-pack of black-on-black tone fat quarters.

• karpet
    12 years ago

I love the one by Pam Bono - she has 2 variations,

Here is a link that might be useful: Something Blue

• karpet
    12 years ago

(Sorry, I don't know how to add more than 1 link per message)
    and here is the other one!
    Karlene

Here is a link that might be useful: Wedding Ribbon

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I really like the one Sharon posted in the link - are there directions for that one?

Here is something different than a bow, but I think would be striking using the fabrics you described as the border. It is French Knot.

Here is a link that might be useful: French Knot Tute

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Can't help on the ribbon border but that panel is beautiful!!! Be sure to share the finished project, Kate. I am sure it is going to be stunning!

Deanna

• karpet
    12 years ago

This is another cute one

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!