Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Bonnie Hunter's New Mystery Quilt

lindaoh_gw
9 years ago

Have you seen Bonnie's fabric suggestions for her new mystery quilt? Are you planning to do the mystery this year? It starts the day after Thanksgiving.
I did Celtic Solstice last year. I found all my fabrics for it in my stash. I like the colors she has chosen this year, but I don't have them in my stash. I may be able to find the green and yellow but don't have turquoise or much pink.
Since we won't have to travel for Thanksgiving this year, I hope to get started on the mystery right away. Last year we were away for Thanksgiving, grand daughter's birth on Dec. 10, and Christmas. It was a bit of a struggle to keep up with the weekly clues but I did it. I'm getting excited about starting this quilt. Are you joining in the fun?
Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonnie Hunter's Grand Illusion

Comments (16)

• jackier123
    9 years ago

I am going to do it. I didn't have turquoise in my stash, so I chose purples instead.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I plan to start it......probably won't be able to keep up even doing a smaller version. I plan to keep the yellow constant so had to order that, but everything else is from my stash. Good thing it's scrappy so various fabrics can be used. I'm excited about it right now, but the longer I wait, the excitement might diminish. I'm still undecided about the green from my stash so will need to wait and see.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Since I did Celtic Solstice last year (and it still needs quilting), I think I'll just save the steps in case I want to make it later.

I made the large CS and it pretty much consumed my life for about 4 months. :)

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    9 years ago

I can not keep up with Bonnie. I love her patterns and I plan to copy them for later. She is one busy lady!

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I'm going to download the instructions, then see if I can get to it. I picked up the paint color cards today that she recommended. Not sure if I'll change one or not; depends on what I have or what I find to buy.

I keep saying I'm going to do one of these... maybe this is the one!

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I'm doing it, too. Think I'll use batiks, got lots of those.

beverly

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

You all know I'm not crazy about working with scrappy, so I think I may give it a try with just one fabric for each of the colors. May even play with the colors a little. And I'm undecided about using a beige-y "neutral" or a white-on-white "neutral". Think I may go beige because I've worked with white so much this year.

Kate

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I revisited my stash and found all the colors. I may need to supplement them with FQs but have enough of some of the colors. I found some pink that was not with the rest of my stash and a large piece of light turquoise. I am using white with black for my neutral. I will make sure there is more white than black to contrast against the black I use.

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery quilt fabrics

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

I said I wouldn't do another mystery, although I love Bonnie Hunter's work. Then I picked up the paint cards while out at Lowes, just out of curiosity, and found myself pulling fabrics from my stash - just to see what I have. Now I'm looking at FQ at the store to fill in the gaps. Is this an obsession or what?

• bev2009
    9 years ago

Oh, toolgranny, you should have never looked at the paint carts. That curiosity is like being a little pregnant.

I won't be trying it this year, maybe next. I've got too many UFO's on my plate and I'm not one to tolerate that well. I think taking the lessons at my LQS and renting their long arm will speed me up though. I hope to have 2-3 finished by the end of the year this way.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Question: I think I have enough to use a consistent fabric for some of the colors. Would it look strange to have more than one constant fabric?

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Sharon, Bonnie usually says the scrappier the better! I think if you have 2 (or more) constant fabrics and mix them in together it will be fine.

My Celtic Solstice has a mixture of background fabrics and I love it.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Sharon, I think it would be fine. I plan to do mine (if I'm crazy enough to start this project!) with all constants. But I think mixing in some constants and some scrappy fabrics will be interesting.

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

Bonnie even says you can use the one fabric for each of the four colors so I think you will be fine.

I'm still not sure I'll manage all her small pieces but, by golly, I have all the fabrics ready - just in case!

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sharon, I think I will be using just one fabric for more than the constant yellow. My green will be a solid fabric and my turquoise is a large piece too.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info, gals. I have scrappy for the black, white and possibly the green with pink, yellow and maybe turquoise the same. And then, depending on what sizes she says to cut, I might have some in my strips and squares containers. This is why I don't do more mysteries.....sigh.

SharonG/FL