Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

October 2014 Quilting/Sewing goals

So far, it's been a sneezy kind of day for me.....allergies, I'm sure.

I think I did pretty good in getting things done in Sept. I even finished a small Wonky Shooting Star and gave it to the grandson to keep at his house for his girlfriends little niece when she comes to visit. Also, sewed a few Crumb blocks last month. Now it's on to the October list.

I have the makings of 2 quilts on my design board that need to be sewn together. A Split 9 patch and a Zipper quilt. Half of the split 9 patch is all together and none of the vertical rows in the zipper quilt is together, so those 2 will be my main projects this month...at least get them to being a completed top. Also, I'd like to get the flowers/butterflies sewn on to the (very orange) Citrus Cooler jelly roll top I made a few years ago.

What's on your agenda for this month? What are you retreat girls taking to work on?

SharonG/FL

Comments (35)

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I havent done as much sewing in the past months as i would like. But i still have about four tops waiting to be quilted. I will set that as my goal and I might even start another.
    I am going to spend the day in bed today or at least loll about. I am very sore all over. I fell again on Sunday. Just a bruised left arm along with the aches but as I lay there on the sidewalk, I said I have to stop doing this.
    Theresa

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Oh, Theresa, please be careful. Well, I didn't finish the Bear's Paw quilt so it continues on. My wrist problem was hindering me with the FMQing. I got a pair of quilting gloves and it helped some but not enough. Anyway, the other morning I was pressing all around that one very tender point on the wrist and for some reason without even thinking about it, I quickly and firmly pressed on that little bone at the wrist and something went "pop" and the major pain went away. But I am still waking up with it a little owie, so I don't know what I did but it helped. I am just coddling it for awhile before asking it to do anything strenuous.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I tell my family and friends that this old(er) body takes longer to bounce back.
    So be careful with the wrist., Rita.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Feel better soon, Theresa!

And Rita, I hope the wrist pain eases soon.

Last weekend I started a Hunter's star quilt for my BIL for Christmas, so finishing it is my one goal for October. Anything else will be gravy. :)

Donna

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I have to finish the 2 quilts for the Pinhoti trail run. The one for the Sylaward run just needs binding and I'll do it tonight. At retreat I'm going to work on the one for my house!! Tim has patiently waited for several years and it is his turn.

beverly

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Theresa I hope you feel better soon and mend quickly. Rita hope your wrist continues to get better and gives you less pain.

September just kind of flew by for me. Last night my son and I sandwiched the baby quilt I am working on, and I started hand-quilting it. October goals:

1. Hand-quilt Butterfly baby quilt
    2. Cut more fabric for my Scattered Leaves quilt
    3. Sketch quilt block patterns for my sister
    ... if I get anything else done it'll just be a bonus.

Best to you all,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 22:21

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Theresa, I hope you did just loll around today so you can feel better tomorrow. And yes, you're right, you have to stop falling and hurting yourself! It seems to take forever to recover from even the smallest thing anymore.

Rita, Hope your wrist feels better soon.

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Thank you Sharon and all. I did stay in bed all day, (cant remember the last time i did that).i slept pretty well last night and now I am ready to get moving. Still achy but able to move ok.
    I might even look for fabric for the Nov.Lotto.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

i don't even know what I'm bringing to work on at Retreat! Maybe I'll just bring fabric for the remaining Lottos and get those all done while I'm there. I don't think I'm organized enough recently to work on anything big.

Today I posted the info for the October AND November lottos. Hopefully I'll get to the 4th Quarter special lotto posting too.

Dog costumes for Halloween are almost done --- Space Dogs! A little duct tape and velcro to hold it all in place and we'll be ready. I don't understand it but the dogs don't seem as enthused as I expected them to be...

Kate

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Astro, the space dog . What series was that in?
    Theresa

I just temembered... The Jetson's

This post was edited by nannykins on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 17:51

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's mid month, the retreat is over, hopefully Rita and Theresa are doing better and able to get back to their machines. :-) How's everyone doing with sewing goals?

The two tops are together (still pondering borders) that's on my list but completely forgot about the Citrus Cooler.....hope I remember to get it out tomorrow so it's staring me in the face. Got the Boston Terrier quilt out and should work on that, too. I just hate the thought of having to use black thread on black fabric, but have no choice on this one. I have fabric pulled for Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt that starts in about 6 weeks and ordered some yellow for it. I could have gotten away with what's in my stash (I think) but wanted brighter than what I had and wasn't sure I had enough. Connecting Threads is having a sale on solids, so ordered some white, too. :-)

Please keep Katie in your prayers.......

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Thanks Sharon, I am feeling better, at least I haven't fallen again.
    I have managed to quilt three tops and now they are waiting for binding. And I know what you mean about black on black because that was two of them. These two quilts were from blocks I won last year in the Lotto, Amish diamonds. For one I stitched 1/4 in. from all seams, the second I did in the ditch. Hard on the eyes. I still have one more top to do before I can start cutting and stitching again. Next week for sure.
    Theresa
    PS Prayers for Katie coming your way.

This post was edited by nannykins on Thu, Oct 16, 14 at 7:47

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I have three tops that need sandwiching and quilting but I don't think those will get done this month.
    I have three Oct Lotto blocks done but want to get the November one finished this month too.
    When I have time to get back into the sewing room I need to first clean it up, then get busy on the silk wallhanging. Would like to have that done and hanging by Thanksgiving.

I need to make a large, rectangular ironing board, maybe 3' deep by 4' wide.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

I decided to put the Hunter's Star on hold (too time consuming) and started Quiltville's Strip Twist for my BIL's Christmas gift. I finished the center last weekend. Borders are planned and fabrics selected, so hopefully the top will be done this weekend. If I'm really industrious I'll finish it this month. :)

Donna

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

Besides getting a border on my retreat quilt so the longarmer can have it, I have a few quilt-lets to do for gifts. Love small ones because they get done so fast and I can feel like I've done something to completion. I have a pile of tops here and will have to find homes for them when done so they just sit in a drawer. But, I'm in a cleaning mode now and might clear the decks this month to start something new.

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Thanks to all for your kind thoughts concerning my wrist. I've been working only a little every day on the Bear's Paw, but I only have about 3 blocks left to FMQ, then of course the binding. I just can't push the wrist too hard. I will be giving FMQing a very hard consideration in the future. My problem is that I can't seem to pick a looser design that isn't so time consuming, and of course once you start it a certain way you have to finish it. I really wanted to have it done by fall since the colors are suited for the fall. Oh well, if that's my biggest problem I'm blessed for sure. In the last six months life has taught me not to sweat this small stuff so much. Last May 1st, DH was diagnosed with Hodgkin's and it has been such a nightmare. I never mentioned it before because I know how upset people get over such things here and I know people would be constantly asking about it, and there have been times where I just couldn't talk about it without breaking down. I feel I can mention it now because he was declared cancer free and had his last chemo treatment on the 6th. He was allowed to be included in a clinical trial hosted by Harvard Univ. here at Moffit in Tampa. He's still getting over the last treatment, it usually takes about a week and a half to even start to feel better. He still needs to be monitored but if you all would be so kind to say a quick prayer that it never comes back it would be sincerely appreciated.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Added to the prayer list, Rita.
    And be sure to take care of yourself as well.
    Theresa

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

I have to apologize, I wrote "DH" - it's "DS", not that it makes a difference but I didn't want to let that go. If you've already said a prayer I think it will be overlooked by the "powers that be" that it needs some editing!

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Rita, I'm so happy for your son! Praying that he continues to recover and stays cancer-free.

Donna

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Rita, what wonderful news about your son. Modern medicine can do some amazing things. I hope he continues to improve daily. A mother feels so helpless when her children are sick. You are in my thoughts. (And be gentle with your wrist.)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rita, I am so sorry you felt like you couldn't mention something this serious about your son before now because of what a few others here might think. I think we have all learned when it's something life-threatening, it's difficult to share, but please be assured, we are here to pray and support you in every area of your life, And I'm so happy your son has been declared cancer free! That is awesome news and I'm sure it's a relief!

SharonG/FL

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Thanks, all. Yes it's a relief and hopefully the family will be healthy the rest of the year and the years to come. Last year my grandson was seriously ill so it's been a hard couple of years. I have been very tired for a long time just from anxiety, I feel like if nothing would wake me up I could sleep for a month straight. But I can't do that with running grandkids to school and cooking for them on the nights DIL is going to class. But I am ALMOST finished quilting the Bear's Paw! The wrist still bothers me but not as much as before I popped something back into place a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I'll get to have it on the bed soon. I think my next project will be a simpler one, especially for the quilting. I saw a really nice one on Missouri Quilts Youtube that looks like it is well-suited for simple straight-line quilting. I've included the link. But I won't be using pre-cuts, I'll use yardage from my fabric stash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Quilt Falling Triangles

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Falling Triangles looks really cute, Rita. Do you know if they have directions written somewhere?

Here it is the 22nd of October and I have 2 more quilts I want to sandwich, quilt and mail before Thanksgiving. Hope to get them started tomorrow.

To let you know, Katie passed away yesterday. It feels like we're in a fog today......

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Oh dear, Sharon! So sorry!
    Prayers going your way.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Oh Sharon, I'm so sorry.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Sharon, so sorry...my heart and prayers to you and your family.
    V.

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Sharon all I can say is I'm so sorry for you and family.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Sharon, I'm so sorry about Katie! Your family is in my thoughts.

I finished the Strip Twist top for my BIL on Tuesday and the backing fabric came yesterday, so I'm ready to load it on the frame. Maybe I can finish it this weekend!

Donna

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

setting goals is a good thing.....with one week and one day left in October, I'm setting a goal to finish a crib quilt I've been working on. Just this morning I sandwiched and pin-basted...ready to put on the walking foot and begin the final steps. EEEK. But I'm scared! ...happy with the top. happy with the back...but now... love from the cowardly lion

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Sharon I am sorry to hear that.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• jackier123
    9 years ago

Sharon, I am so sorry to hear about Katie. She fought a long hard battle. You know that you are in our thoughts and prayers and will be here for you if you need anything of us.

Jackie

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Well I have gotten a little done on each of this months' goals, but they will all continue over into November for me.

Best to you all,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. If nothing else, I've learned that death is a part of life and those left behind to grieve find that life goes on. For me, I think it's difficult for the process to begin until the service and that won't be until Nov 1.

Quilting seems to have gone on the back burner, but I'm trying. The quilts I want to get backed are with the backing fabric so maybe I can get the sandwiching started tomorrow. I need to vacuum, too. In the meantime, I'm wondering what I'll put on the list for next month. :-)

SharonG/FL

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

I probably won't start anything with the intention of finishing it this month. I did clean up the sewing room yesterday, and also made a couple of aprons just for a change.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I packed a box with ten quilts for the Cancer Clinic. So glad to get them out of the sewing room.
    Still have two to finish up and i just remembered that I won some Lotto blocks earlier this year, so they need to be taken care of. Ah November!
    Theresa