Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Retreat Message

jennifer_in_va
11 years ago

Hi everyone!

Wanted to share this message with ya'll... It's from Shane, the Asst Director of Camp Cheerio.

"Hi Jennifer,

I am so glad you had a great weekend. I heard great things from our staff and the quilt you made for us might be the best yet! I could not believe how true to the riding ring and Cheerio it looked. You all truly are talented. Martyn and I have already made a plan for displaying all of the quilts on the second floor of the Sloan Center."

Thought it was really cool!!

Comments (15)

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I agree, those that put it together did an awesome job!! Glad they enjoyed it and I look forward to adding another year to my leaf :-)

Robbi

• polardream
    11 years ago

Really True! Thanks Beverly, Teresa, and Jen for putting this beautiful quilt together!
    Sue

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Kudo's to Beverly, Teresa and Jennifer for their work ...it is splendid piece of quilt art! I look forward to adding another year to my leaf.
    V.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Great job -You can't see the stitching detail; it is truly wonderful.
    Our Perpetual Quilt given to Camp Cheerio.

• grammyp
    11 years ago

It will be nice to have them all together in Sloan. I hope we all get to add lots more years to our leaves.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Just saw this info on Camp Cheerio that is interesting....

"Camp Cheerio opened in the summer of 1960. The camp gets its name from Edgar Hartley, who was general secretary of the High Point YMCA for more than 30 years; a native of England, Hartley frequently used the expression "cheerio" when bidding friends farewell."

"Located on a mountaintop with an elevation of approximately 3,500 feet, Camp Cheerio is more than just a summer camp for kids. It's open from mid-March until mid-November and offers weeklong camps for senior adults, educational camps for school groups, and occasional skill camps such as calligraphy camp or quilting camp."

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Camp Cheerio history

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is a very cool article!

It was written 2 years ago, so we'd been going for 4 years! And I'm pretty sure we're the only quilting group. So we made a name for ourselves!

And it's right...camp truly gives a sense of 'family'.

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

It trully is a beautiful quilt, so appropriate and thoughtful, put together by talented and caring people!

I have managed to keep up with reading the posts! So glad you all had a great time...it is a Special time and Special Place to be with Friends!

Gwen

• wendyfaye
    11 years ago

Oh, its very nice to hear they consider 'us' part of 'them'. I, for one, consider 'them' and 'all you guys' part of 'me'.

:)

Faye

• grammyp
    11 years ago

I couldn't agree more, Faye. Even Tim refers to everyone as if they were part of our family. Quilters (and Cheerio people) are like that.

beverly

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

The staff at the camp was so friendly! The quilt is beautiful and it was exciting to have my name on a leaf. I was watching Teresa quilt it and she is very talented.

I had a wonderful time!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

.....and being 'cooped' up in a truck with a couple of fantastic ladies for a few hours was more fun than I ever imagined!!! Sure was nice getting to know Kate and Rosa!! Memories, memories, memories.....

SharonG/FL

• wendyfaye
    11 years ago

Oh, and I must say when I first saw this post my mind read 'Retreat Massage' and I thought... Geeze I missed the wrong year!!!

^_-
    Faye

• polardream
    11 years ago

Faye, I WISH we had massages at the retreat! I scrapbook with some friends a couple times a year and we often hire a massage therapist to come up and spend the day on Saturday. We all sign up for massages (about $50 each for 1 hour) and take time away from scrapbooking for a little pampering. Maybe we should see about an added feature to Camp!
    Sue :)

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Maybe the Scouties could earn their massage merit badges?