Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
day2day_gw

block sashing question

day2day
12 years ago

I am doing a quilt and want to use sashings between the blocks and rows. I have trouble getting sashings to line up. Someone on this board mentioned that they sash blocks instead of rows. Can someone give me some details about doing this. I have an idea about how to do it but I want to make sure it's right before starting. Thanks.

~Geraldine

Comments (15)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Geraldine, This is how I do it. Gotta love those cornerstones! Easy and precise.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Sashing Tutorial

• grammyp
    12 years ago

I do mine the same way.

beverly

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

Thanks so much....just what I needed to ask myself.

• day2day
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just what I needed Sharon. Thank you. You're a lifesaver!

I was going to get back to you yesterday but we had a call from the home where my brain-injured brother is a resident. He had a fall or a seizure and broke his hip. Spent most of the afternoon with him. Looks like we will be spending lots of time at the hospital again, at least for the next week or so.

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

You're welcome. Geraldine, I'm sorry about your brother. Do you have some handwork available to take with you to the hospital? Sometimes that helps to while away the hours and sometimes it doesn't. Please keep us updated. Sending hugs and prayers.....

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Prayers for your brother, hope he heals quickly.

beverly

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

That way looks like a great way for me to do my Dear Jane blocks. Thanks!!

Robbi

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I didn't finish reading all the replies before I hit the submit button. I hope your brother is doing better. I'll keep him in my prayers.

Robbi

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear about you brother Geraldine. I always have plenty of hand work to keep me occupied, but like Sharon says, sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't.

Prayers for you and yours.
    Rosa

• day2day
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your replies and your kind thoughts. My brother is doing well, healing nicely after his hip operation.

~Geraldine

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey Geezer,

I'm rather sashing scared myself, thanks MUCH for that Sashing Tutorial, somehow it seems to make things much easier & seem much less scary. Thanks LOADS!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

PirateGirl, This is a great and easy way to sash, isn't it? Valerie has other tutorials, too. I haven't looked through all of them, but she's a great quilter.

I remember when you were making a coffee themed quilt. Were you able to get it back out and finish it?

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Vals Quilt Page

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Yeah Geezer, that Tutorial really makes it seems far more doable (the sashing w/ colorblock) than I've ever felt before.

Gosh you've got a good memory: this was the coffee themed quilt, made for my Dad, who unfortunately died about half way through.

I mourned for a year & then finished it. I've got to find pix of the back, but sadly, I'm not sure I've got closeup pix to feature the novelty fabrics.

Oh wait, here's one, at least one

Sorry it's not clickable, but look closely on the left, one fabric is old style coffee pots & percolators, stylized coffee beans in center, real ones just above & coffee cups on the upper right. I know he's smiling down on me about it 'cause he would have loved it.

Thanks so much for asking & remembering, I feel you honored us both, & smile warmly at the thought of it.

(PG) Karen

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Sharon, thanks for the link to the tutorial. I was just about to start my first quilt with sashing when I read this post. I can tell that the instructions my quilt came with would not have produced the satisfying results that following the tutorial did. I have to finish the borders, and then I will post a photo. Thanks again.

And, Karen, I love your father's coffee quilt. You did a wonderful job choosing the colors and fabrics. It really does evoke a cup of coffee. I'm sorry you lost him before he was able to enjoy it.

Lois

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

PG/Karen, I'm sorry your dad didn't get to enjoy the coffee quilt. It must have been difficult to get it back out and finish it. I like looking at the old coffee pots and percolators......I remember a coffee pot sitting on the stove at home. Could never figure out how mom knew when to turn the burner off. Your dad would have known. ;)

Lois, Looking forward to seeing your quilt. I feel it's the duty of us quilters to get as much info out there as we can to make the process easier and more enjoyable with an end product that gives us a smile.

SharonG/FL

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA