Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

Block Buster is done!

loisflan
9 years ago

Here's my husband, Mike, showing off his new quilt - just in time for cold weather. It's backed in Minky (his request), so it's pretty heavy, but he loves it. The pattern is Block Buster by KariePatch Designs. The pattern is billed as "strip and fat quarter friendly," since the blocks use 2.5" strips. You make the colored blocks, cut them in quarters, and then insert the background colored strips between the quarters. Easier than it looks, but you do have to be sure you cut carefully and align the seams when you're piecing.

Comments (18)

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

I love the way that small center square is quartered and gives the sashing a secondary pattern look. Nice quilt in nice colors for him. Has an argyle look. I'll have to add this one to my list.

• donna_loomis
    9 years ago

Beautiful! And a perfect color combo for a gentleman.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Lois, it's great! I know he will love it!

Donna

• wanda_va
    9 years ago

That's beautiful! It's a perfect quilt pattern for a man...and the fabrics are great.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Of course he loves it!!! That's an awesome quilt you made! Adding it to my list. :-)

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

That's a beautiful quilt! Congrats and finishing it.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I love the fabrics and colors you used!

Teresa

• fran1523
    9 years ago

Really nice. Definitely a great man's quilt. Great job.

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

A great quilt and pattern. I agree it has an argyle look to it and so masculine. He looks so pleased. TFS.

• polardream
    9 years ago

It turned out great and so glad your husband loves it! The color combination is great.

Sue

• bev2009
    9 years ago

Love the fabrics. I'm sure he'll love snuggling with it once the weather gets cold.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

What a great quilt, love the pattern and the Minky will be really great in cold weather.

beverly

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Ooohhh... How lovely...,no wonder he likes it!
    V

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

I love this! I recall really liking this block when you first posted your progress. You really have convinced me to get the pattern & add it to the list. I have a manly looking Stonehenge jelly roll and by accident, one of the colors in yardage ---- just maybe.......
    How much background fabric does this take?
    It looks like a heavy quilt with the minky backing. Your leaves are a pretty background. Hubby looks pleased. Great job.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

That's a beauty!

• loisflan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone.

Marsha, I made the full size quilt, and I used the same fabric for the "setting triangles, corner triangles and block sashing" (2 1/8 yards) and the "outer border," (1 1/4 yards), so the total yardage needed was 3 3/8 yards. For a lap quilt you would need 1 5/8 yards and 1 1/8 yards, respectively, for a total of 2 3/4 yards. The full quilt calls for 64 WOF 2 1/2" strips or 16 fat quarters; the lap quilt, 36 strips or 9 fat quarters.

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Thanks Lois. I like the way you kept all the 'background' the same. I have a tendency to make lap quilts bigger than is necessary, so maybe I have enough. Or, maybe I'll use a gorgeous batiks jelly roll I have. LOL
    I have been thinking about it since you posted your picture.
    Love it!

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

The colors are wonderful! And I love quilts backed with Minky. I've been home sick all week and took great comfort in my big minky-backed quilt.

This patterned turned out great and will go on my To Do list, too!

A great project, very well done! Congrats!

Kate