Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quilter_robbi

Thread organization...

Robbi D.
12 years ago

The quilt wall ideas has me straightening up my sewing area a bit and I'm looking to buy a big lot of embroidery threads (not for quilting), but don't want to set them out on racks. I currently don't have that many, so they are just in a small drawer, but with a big number, I need more organization. Where do you put all your threads?

thanks,

Robbi

Comments (5)

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

My quilt machine threads are on a thread rack on the wall by my machine. My sewing threads are on a shelf over my machine. And all my embroidery threads are in boxes stacked behind my embroidery machine.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread boxes

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I have mine in a rolling plastic 6-drawer cart from Office Depot. In the drawers I have them sorted by color and type in plastic trays that were probably intended for pens & pencils. A couple of drawers have all purpose thread, a couple have embroidery thread and a couple have quilting thread.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I saw the neatest thread storage - simple and cheap - made by Susan Cleveland at a workshop I attended that she taught. She was selling her beautiful thread.

She used an inexpensive plastic rectangle deep cake server/carrier - Rubbermaid like - cut template plastic into strips - hot glued the strips into cylinders / tubes to fit the thread spools - then hot glued the tubes standing upright to the bottom of the cake server. The entire bottom was covered with these tubes, looking like a honeycomb. The thread slipped right inside the tubes. They stayed neat and clean.
    I was going to do that whenever I get a chance.

I like to keep my thread covered. Most of it is in large ziplock bags - separated by color - kinda, sorta :)

Bobbin storage drives me nuts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Susan Cleveland

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

I bought a thread box for about $10 and it has divided slots for the spools. See link below. Unfortunately some of the spools are too big, so I bought one of those plastic storage boxes used in scrapbooking and just put the spools in there. It stands on end behind my embroidery machine. the spools fall over but you can still see what you have. I like magothyrivergirl's suggestion of making a honeycomb in the bottom of it. Will do that one of these days...
    I don't keep my threads uncovered because of the extreme dust in my sewing room. I just can't figure where it comes from.....lol

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.longcreekmills.com/product/stand.html

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm looking at storing the 1100 yard spools that are about 3" high, so the smaller thread boxes won't work (unfortunately). I did a little poking around yesterday and found an organizing system by Artbin that is pretty net. A little on the pricey side, but it looks good. If I go that way, I'll have to buy it a piece at a time. I did get a plastic drawer organizer at WalMart last night to put my fabrics in. They were getting a little out of hand.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Robbi