Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boy those rotary cutters are sharp!

Posted by lafonda_ranch (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 8:17

I'm still not exactly sure how I did it, but I rolled the blade right up the ring finger on my right hand yesterday. If it wasn't for the nail, I'd probably have stitches in the finger. It went up the nail about an inch. It's pretty sore (even today), but I didn't let it stop me! I put a band aid on it and kept cutting and stitching. At least I'm left handed and it wasn't my index finger!

Robbi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boy those rotary cutters are sharp!

oops!

o

Ouch!

o

Been there, done that! Camp Cheerio 2010.

o

It looks like I'm in good company :-)

o

One of our members had a nasty cut with hers. I'll let her post and tell about it.

I have protective gloves but forget to wear them.

o

Ouch!!Having cut myself I appreciate your pain. I know the gloves are supposed to work but to bulky for me but a good idea if they work.
Be careful of infections and congratulations on your brave determination to continue.lol.

o

Owie! I've done that, too! :) But you get in the sewing mode, and you just can't quit...so bandaids have to do until the project is done! (y'all know what I'm saying!)

But a few years back, my youngest son (who was 6 at the time!) decided to run his finger along the blade, just to see how sharp it was. He ended up needing stitches from the top of his middle finger down to the first knuckle. What made it worse is that he hid from me after he did it, so I had to follow his blood trail and assure him he was NOT in trouble, just needed to get his finger sewed back on.
Definitely one of the most dangerous tools in my craft drawer! (which is now locked, BTW!)

o

Eeeuuuuwww! I did something similar the second time I ever picked one up. Almost quilt using it but they are just so darn handy. Glad you survived it!

o

I knew this lady that forgot to close hers,then knocked it off the table onto her Barefoot.She had a major cut,stitches,and was on crutches for a few days.It cut her deep,and the fact she was working with the 60mm didn't help any either.

I was working in a quilt store at that time,and as we sold them we gave friendly lectures on how to use them,and cautioned them against accidents.
Kathi

o

All these stories makes you be especially aware when you use this tool. Don't get in a hurry or let your guard down. I've almost yelled at my kids when they pick up my cutter to be sure they know that it is so sharp.

But why does it seem so dull when I'm cutting my fabrics?????

o

Oh Robbie --you are so lucky! I know it hurts. Band-aid makes these cool bandages for fingers & knuckles. I sliced my knuckle with a very sharp Chef's knife about 3 weeks ago; I was finally able to stop wearing the Band-aid while I was at Camp Cheerio. It healed more in those few days in the crisp air & keeping it dry then in the 2 weeks prior with wearing a butterfly and Bandage. I'd like to think it was the healing powers at Camp Cheerio~LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here