Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

October, 2013 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Oh my!!! It's OCTOBER!!! Living in Florida, if I want to see fall colors, I head to the quilt shop....and I really don't have a problem with that. lol

I did get some sewing done last month and am working on getting the Maverick Star blocks together. I think I'll try and get that top completed this month, get borders on the red/white/blue and a few DJ blocks (thank you, Kate, for the inspiration to get back at this project).

Hope everyone is getting their canning and freezing done, Christmas gifts in the making, wedding plans coming together, and taking some time for yourselves.....because you deserve it.

If you're interested, Katie has started a blog writing about her journey. There are 4 posts, so far, and am posting the link to the first one.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Katie's Blog

Comments (27)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Wow, I just read the first post in Katie's blog...that must have been so terrifying! I'll save the others for later.

My goal this month is to finish the 3 donation quilts. I've also committed to quilting a QOV for another group; I have the backing fabric and I'm just waiting for the piecer to get the top to me. If I get it soon that will be another goal for this month.

After those I think I'll get back to the tiny trees.

I'd also like to finish the mile a minute crochet I'm working on (2-1/2 strips left to make then assemble the whole thing). After that I'll get back to a small hand quilting project that has been neglected for a while.

I need to stop spending so much time playing stupid games on the iPad and get some more sewing done!

Donna

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Another month with lots of business travel for me, so that will significantly cut into my sewing time. 2,142 days to retirement. (sigh)

> This month I WILL make a start on Dear Jane.
    > I would like to do a Holiday themed wall hanging.
    > I would like to get the quilting done on at least one of the three quilt tops that are done.

• jackier123
    10 years ago

This month I am going on vacation! I will be gone to Colorado from the 5th to the 10th. Then after coming home I want to finish 2 twin size quilts that I am doing for my cousin's twin girls. I have one already pieced and on the frame, the other I have the blocks done, just got to put them together and quilt. I also have all the blocks done for a scrappy Irish chain that I want to at least get together. This will probably be another quilt for me! I am also working on several casserole carriers for Christmas gifts.

Jackie

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Casserole carriers for Christmas gifts --- great idea!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Donna, I think the first post really socks it to ya! I think her writing about her journey helps her. And, I know what you mean about those games!! Also, for my future reference, do you quilt for QOV very often?

Kate, With your traveling, you could get some of your DJ handwork started....or, take the book and drool over it. lol

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow....a couple of posts got by me while I was posting! Sorry about that.

Jackie, Have fun on your vacation and when you get back, you'll be raring to go on your projects and they'll go quickly. Do you have a fav pattern for the casserole carriers?

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Have fun, Jackie!

Sharon, QOV isn't one of my usual projects. The other forum I am on does them occasionally. The one I said I would quilt is for one of the ladies' new son-in-law. He hasn't been wounded or anything, it's just as a thank you for his service. The other one I helped with was a wall hanging for a Coast Guard son of another member. I pieced that one.

Donna

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I need to get 6.5" x 24" ruler before I can finish the border for my parents' quilt, so hoping hubby gets this for me at Christmas, ... so until then am storing their quilt top. Later this month I would like to make pin cushions for Mom and M-I-L for part of their Christmas gifts. I plan to take some time out for me this month and curl up with a few good books and then maybe get some Granny Square quilt blocks hand pieced. Am also cutting out fabric and fusible web for cloth bookmarks that I want to make and have laminated for family and friends' Christmas gifts. And I need to organize some Santa letters for family and friends' children and make sure they are mailed by the end of the month.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Having some health issues so not getting much done. Our Cdn. Thanksgiving is coming up with some families coming home. So must prepare for that. Did get the chili sauce made and have berries in the freezer for jam but that can wait until winter.
    And I did start the batik quilt so will try to keep at it as time and energy permits. And we plan to go west to Calgary to visit that new great grand daughter.
    Whew! I am tired already.
    Oh yes, and I will get the Lotto blocks done too.
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Jackie...enjoy the vacation! Dear Jane will be waiting for you on your return...
    Theresa: Hope you feel better soon!
    Kate: happy travels...good time for some DJ hand work
    Sharon: Katie's blog...words fail me...wow
    as for me....
    Did someone say squirrel? I am having a hard time staying focused. I have several tops complete which need to be sandwiched...dread sandwiching ( grumble grumble).
    I've also decided to do a quilt along for a Christmas tree wall hanging on Christa's blog...got the fabric in my stash and just received the ruler...so excited with ideas...
    Lastly, I'm love with the Swoon block and have fabric selected for that from my stash..I'm anxious to start with 30's repro fabrics and Kona Snow...pic is from Fresh Lemons..
    oh yeah...i gotta go to work too...
    V.

• redmary
    10 years ago

Really like this, Val!

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Swoon! What a great block!
    (If you need any 30's fabric, let me know. Still have lots of bits and pieces.)

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

I have 16 placemats and 4 baby quilts to quilt this month. They are Christmas gifts and a baby quilt for DD's baby shower in November. I hope to get them done while DH is recuperating from his knee surgery. He had total knee replacement on his left knee on Monday. He is supposed to come home today. He had his right knee done last year so we know what to expect this time.
    Linda OH

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, LindaOH! Guess we know what you'll be doing while your DH is recuperating! Maybe you could teach him how to blind stitch and he can help with bindings. :-) Hope he recovers well and quickly.

Go for it, Valarie! We'll be Swooning with every picture of your blocks. Have fun!! Staying focused? What's that?!

Idea for next year's retreat: For those of us without a quilting machine.....take quilt tops (that need those larger tables), batting, backing and lots of pins and help each other sandwich a quilt or two.

Theresa, I understand about health issues. Hopefully they won't last too long as you'll need strength for your coming holidaze and cuddling/rocking that great-granddaughter.

Sandra, You could always tell your DH you would like to have Christmas early and order the ruler. At Christmas time, wrap it up and put it under the tree. lol What a neat idea to send letters from Santa. I might do that for our youngest great-granddaughters....won't their parents be surprised! LOL

Donna, I understand about helping when it's someone you know. A person doesn't have to have visible wounds to be wounded as somehow, someway, they are all touched. Thank you for your time.

Guess it's time for me to start my day......lotto blocks today!

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Lotto blocks done!
    Theresa

• lola99
    10 years ago

Okay, hopefully writing these down will result in finishing some of these goals...

1. finish piecing back of I Spy quilt
    2. Sandwich I Spy quilt
    3. Lotto blocks
    4. work on mini Storm at Sea (but only AFTER I get the other 3 things done!)

• lola99
    10 years ago

Sharon, thanks for sharing Katie's blog. I needed a lot of tissues to read it.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Oh, October. I've hit it so hard this summer that I just sort of put it in fourth gear and have been coasting gently for a month. I kept track of what I have grown and canned, and the just veggie garden alone over six hundred pounds of produce.
    I'm laughing because although it was a good year, I have cut back on it from what I used to grow. The fruit production has been the best I've ever had and I'm thankful and have given and given away apples so they'd not be wasted. Quilting has been a few minutes/hours here and there for months. I've a quilt on the dining room table now doing the hand finish work on it as the mood strikes me.

Decided when this one's done I'm going to start gathering up all the smaller pieces in my stash and just start making four inch HSTs and toss 'em in a box until I get bored with it. You KNOW how many patterns you can throw together with HSTs. There are none dancing around in my head right now and when one pops in, alls I'll have to do is put it together.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I had hoped that my start on a quilt for Mom would make it come together by Xmas. It has an applique center (now finished) and along the sides and I was counting on those motifs giving me hand work to do on Saturdays at my volunteer job.

Then I went to the physical therapist to start work on my right arm after my surgery. I caught he## for using my right hand as I seem to hold up my shoulder when I sew. I'm allowed to READ. Boy am I bummed. I'm sitting here staring at fabric, cut applique shapes, piles of 30's bits for applique (Kate, save me your small scraps) and can't do a thing about it. He says maybe in another six weeks.

So, there goes my fall. It hasn't kept me out of the fabric stores. I'll be a terror once this finishes. My husband will be SO glad when I am well again.

I live vicariously through all of you who are accomplishing something. I didn't tell him about the lotto blocks. LOL Fortunately I'd made most ahead.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Oh, TG, how frustrating! Could you sew if you re-train yourself to hold your shoulders differently? Maybe your DH could watch you and let you know when you start to lift your shoulder, and after a few days a new position would become habit. Of course, it's probably better to tough it out and follow doctor's orders. Hang in there!

Donna

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Being told you can't do something is exactly when you really want to do it. That's like when the hydro goes out, you have to do things which require it. How many times do you open the frig door???
    But follow Dr.'s orders or it will take much longer to be wholly well again.
    Trying to clean up a bit to get ready for next weekend (Thanksgiving). But I do have 24 of 49 stars made for the batik quilt.
    Best wishes and prayers for Kate. Touching blog!
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, TG/Linda, how are you doing? Keeping your shoulders down? You must have a pile of fabric cut by now. lol

My Lotto blocks have been done.....now need to prepare them to ship. The plaid top is ready for borders and I have blocks all ready to sew together for my friend, Lucy. She's short like me, so she won't need a real big one.....which is good so I can get it done sooner.

(Katie posted another segment to her blog....not so heavy this time.)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

I finished the crochet project yesterday and one of the donation quilts. I just need to hand sew the binding on the other two, which I plan to do tonight and tomorrow. I have Thurs & Fri off and I want them to be "me" days in case I want to start a new project (or shopping for a new machine). :)

Donna

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Hugs to all of you who are healing or nursing others.
    Katie's blog is amazing.
    Really like that swoon block.

LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I agree, I think the swoon block is really pretty. This month:
    1. Drew pattern and made plastic templates for the Christmas pin cushion project I am working on. My sister is buying the fabric for this project so I am not sure how soon she will be shopping and mailing to me - so this may become a November project.
    2. Made cloth bookmarks to be laminated later
    3. Santa Letters have been reorganized

Best to you,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Goals are being accomplished! Here are my crocheted afghan and the three donation quilts, all finished this week!

I've gotten my tiny trees out today and made one block so far. Only 11 more to go! LOL

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great job, Donna!!!

I spent yesterday afternoon in the dentists chair....wobbled out 1 1/2 hours later. I think the Geezer thought he'd win $10,000 on AFV but they just had to keep numbing me and didn't put me out. Have been sitting in my chair ever since but now need to get dressed and head back to the dentist office for a follow up.......sigh. Will chat more later....

SharonG/FL

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022