Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev2009

Christmas Suggestions

bev2009
10 years ago

I never know what to put on a requested Christmas list for my DH and children to buy me for Christmas. I don't want a lot of "stuff" in my life, but I would like to have answers to my quilting questions handy, without always having to surf the web. What all purpose quilting book would you recommend? What pattern books can you not live without? Anything else you have to have to quilt? Thanks!

Comments (5)

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

There are so many new things and new patterns popping up all the time that I don't think a book stays current. I do have several large books showing traditional block patterns I go to and that might be a good reference to own. They serve as a an encylopedia for block patterns to me.

How about magazine subscriptions? I don't take many now but the ones I do get are always a treat to read when they arrive. Gift cards to a local quilt shop are nice as well.

Are you sure you aren't missing a handy tool, specific size ruler, extra rotary cutters and blades? Those kinds of gifts can be boring but very helpful in the long run.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I think I'd put rotary blades on my list and a new cutting board. Gift certificates so you can browse and get what appeals to you. As far as tips and techniques, when you go looking on the www and find what you want, print it off, put it in a clear plastic sheet protector and into a 3-ring notebook specifically for that purpose, then you'll have your own reference material specifically for your need.

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I just got this after it was recommended by a quilting friend who has been quilting a lot longer than my 13 years of experience: Quick & Easy Block Tool ---- I bought the printed reference guide, but they also have it as an E-Book. I just bought it earlier this year, but have not had a chance to use it yet. It has 102 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks in 5 sizes and tells you how many of each piece and how large to cut each piece needed for a block.

Best to you,
    Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Quick & Easy Block Tool

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

On my Christmas list for this year is Vintage Quilt Revival, by Katie Clark, (swim,bike,sew) Lee Heinrich (freshly pieced) and Faith Jones (fresh lemons). I follow Lee and Faith's modern quilt blog almost daily and enjoy the modern quilt style. The book is due for publication by year end.

V.

• susan_on
    10 years ago

There are a couple of on-line shops I shop at, and I keep wish lists on them. When my son was asking me about what Mother's Day gift I would like, I sent him the wish lists and he chose from one of the lists. Would that work for you? I agree that keeping a binder of useful tips is a good idea, that's what I do. I also keep some of the less frequently used tips book marked.