Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

Really Bad Day

ritaweeda
10 years ago

I had to go to the far end of the county for something yesterday, so decided to stop at Joann's with my mega-coupons. There was one particular coupon that stated 50 percent off total thread purchase. I like Guitterman's cotton thread so decided to at least get a large spool of black and white. I also cruised by the discount shelf to see if there was anything there. I did see something but wanted to double-check with staff - there was a sign that said 50 percent off red-tag items but I wanted to make sure that it was off the tagged price or were they already marked off 50 percent. The woman looked at me like I was stupid for asking and said it's 50 percent off the tagged price. Ok, so I snatch up the bolt that was marked at 4 dollars a yard, expecting it to be 2 dollars a yard. There was 6 yards of it and I took it all. Then I also picked up a chalk wheel that wasn't on sale and planned to use another coupon I had for 50 percent off. I get to the cashier and the same one I asked was running the cash register. So she looks at the fabric and says "oh, this fabric isn't what I was talking about, it's just the home-dec remnants that are 50 percent off. I showed her the ticket that it was indeed what she had said so that was solved. Then she said I could only use the thread coupon for one spool, I would have to come up with another coupon for the other one. I showed her what the coupon said about the "total" thread purchase but she kept insisting that wasn't what it meant. So then I finally convinced her and she kept trying to beep the coupon after each spool of thread and it completely messed up the register total. Then she beeped in the chalk wheel and it wouldn't come up in the register. She finally had to cancel out everything completely and start over. Again, she did the same thing and the same thing happened. Finally, she got a call to go to the back for a delivery and another clerk took over, she started all over again and everything came out fine. The store was a mess and there were only 3 people working in that store and it was only ten in the morning, I can't imagine what this woman's day was like for the rest of the day. Or her poor customers. I blame Joann's upper management for this, they don't hire enough staff to manage the store, they promote these huge sales with very confusing coupons, the people come in and trash the store and they don't have the staff to straighten it up. There was a sign at the front that they were hiring, I wonder if it's because they really want to improve the store or because the staff have fled to save their sanity??

Comments (18)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I'm of the opinion that the staff at most JoAnn's are not trained efficiently. And, it seems that the interpretation of their coupons depends on the cashier. It's usually a challenge for the buyer. You get 5 stars, Rita! Plus, today is a new day. :-)

SharonG/FL
    (I still can't believe a lot of us Florida members live so close to each other and we haven't gotten together!)

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sent corporate an email about this, doubt it will help. But I did remind them that there will be a Hobby Lobby here in the near future and that they should try to improve things or they will lose business. I've never been to a Hobby Lobby but according to their website they do sell fabric.
    Sharon, I live in Brooksville, how near are you to there? We do have one LQS here, - Nana's - have you ever been there? It's small and of course has the LQS prices. I do try to go when they have sales and buy at least one cut of fabric from them.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Rita, I'm in Crystal River. I've heard about Nana's but have never been there. It's more on the East side of Brooksville, isn't it? I'm more familiar with what's on 19. There's a shop in Hudson, I've not been to, either. We have Tomorrow's Treasures here if you ever get up this way.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Not to mention having to wait in a line at the one cutting counter, then wait in a single line to check out, no matter how many items you have. I only go to J's early in the morning, and then only if I really need to.

Rita, I didn't know you are in FL too! We should plan a get-together sometime. Sharon's in the St. Pete area, I think. And Kate and Bobby are over here in Orlando with me.

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

For years now, I think Joanns can't keep employees... The company seems to be falling apart when it comes to customer satisfaction. I hear the same things over and over again when people are discussing Joanns; it's messy, not enough staff, can't answer questions, etc.

I think everyone these days, you have people that rely so heavily on the computer to work, that they don't really know how to ring things up or how to apply coupons, etc. The computer is supposed to do it for them, so why know how it works.

Hobby Lobby in my area has a nicer selection of fabrics than my Joanns. Better quality, and certainly tidier. They don't print coupon mailers, but 1 coupon weekly in the paper. But if you have a smartphone then you can pull up coupon codes on your phone and show it at the register and they'll take off (40% usually).

Good for you for sticking it out with all that mayhem. Depending on my day and frame of mind, I might have walked out and left all that stuff sitting there!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Donna, I'm 30 miles north of Spring Hill on 19. I think Marge and Rip usually come to Florida during the winter, so add them in, too.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Sharon, I didn't know you were that far north! You are quite close to Brooksville, it looks like. (I confess, I've lived in FL my whole life and I had to find Spring Hill on a map.)

I forgot Gwen here in Orlando, too (sunnycentralflorida).

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

The Joanns I go to seems pretty good as far as coupons go... one lady even told me about the cell phone app and let me download and use it right in front of her and I didn't even know about it... saved me almost half on all the embroidery threads I was buying that day.

However, the line for cutting is ridiculous and I do think the could be more friendly sometimes... it's just a job to them and they really don't care about what they are doing.

I'd definitely be up for a get together! I'm technically in Clermont, but I say Orlando because nobody who isn't from here knows what Clermont is.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

The Joann stores I have visited in the past when out of town in Dallas, TX, area were good to shop at with good service, except for one time I had a coupon for 50% off and the the clerk at the cash register said it was already on sale that I did not need the coupon, which rang up the same price either way, but the cashier did not give me back my unused coupon. Their selection of fabric though is a lot nicer than my local Hancocks fabric store. I wish I had a Joanns within a 25 mile radius there are none in central Louisiana.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I only go to Joannes when I am already in a Bad Mood - I don't want to ruin a perfectly happy day ~LOL~ I'm not kidding.

I have 2 J's near me. Both are well staffed most of the time. The big expensive problem I have had with fabric from JoAnnes, is sometimes as soon as water hits the fabric, it smells like insecticide. No amount of wasting will get rid it of the odor. Of course, they don't want to exchange it because I have washed it -- this has happened to me 3 times with yardage. One nasty manager screamed at me to get the fabric off the counter -- it was damp and stinky! Yes, I won that one! I was told the containers shipped from China (and who knows where else) are sprayed for bugs, but the fabric is not supposed to be sprayed. I now buy 1/8 yard cut separately from the same bolt and then the actually yardage I want. I wash the 1/8 yard and if it stinks, I return the yardage.
    This is another reason to prewash.
    Overall, I hate the store--the fiasco with the coupons, Guild discounts, lines, poor service -- but -- I would miss it if it closed.

• minnie_tx
    10 years ago

They closed the store in my town the nearedt one is ariund 100 miles away. I did a lot of shopping in mine.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

The Joann's by me (there's two that I may stop by) are the same as the above, poorly staffed, untrained, and MESSY. I can't imagine the margins are as tight as a grocers, and with some creative business management they could hire more staff and increase the profits because there would be more business. It's sad and the greed is pitiful.

Good for you Rita for sticking it out! I'm w/ Marsha...Joannes is the last place I want to spend my money if I'm in a good mood. It's only in desperation and with a coupon!

On line is my solution...I figure it comes to my door, so I save on the cost of gas (I'm in the country) and buy enough so shipping is free. So I don't buy very often, but it's better than J's.

V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Guess what??!!! DD told me she heard a JoAnn's is coming to town! In a plaza less than 4 miles from my house! There are no hobby or fabric stores here except for a quilt shop and a sewing machine store that has a few bolts of fabric.....and the closest Walmart is 10 miles. So, at least I'll be able to use those coupons on notions! I might just get me some sharper rotary blades. lol

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Hey, Bobby, I know where Clermont is...I'm in Winter Garden. (And I tell people Orlando for the same reason.). LOL

So Sharon soon you will be able to join our rants about Joann's hehehehe.

Donna

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Ps... In my rant about J's...I don't fault the folks who staff the stores.
    V.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

I agree...I think they have poor management training. And probably poor communication regarding how coupons and discounts are supposed to be handled.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I had a coupon for batting and the batting had a sign for, I think it was, 50% off posted. I don't believe it had an expiration date, although the sale ended the week before. Technically, they have to honor it, as I pointed out to them. The manager was very unhappy, but I think more at someone who was suppose to have taken the sign down than me. However, she should have been nicer to me than she was, as it was not my fault I got such a good deal. Otherwise, our store is always clean and organized and they salespeople are usually helpful.

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Bobby & Donna I always said Orlando 'cause no one knew where Longwood was lol!!!!!!

A JoAnne's opened in Brunswick (about 1 & 1/2 hr from me) but I haven't shopped there yet.

The JoAnne's in Sanford doesn't have as much of a fabric selection, but the employees were helpful. The one in Orlando I shopped at was a nightmare!

I have a Hobby Lobby (about 1 & 1/2 hour in the other direction lol) and they have a small fabric selection - very few quilting supplies. IMO, since it's a college town they don't have many quilters.

Florida People, I am only 4 to 5 hours from you AND I can drive lol! Let's get together!!!!!
    Rosa

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz