Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

October, 2012 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Can you believe it's October already? October means retreat to some of us so we're getting ready for the long week-end. I can't think any further than retreat right now so my goals are what I hope to do there...in no particular order.

1. Neckwarmers for Christmas

2. Two pillowcases for Christmas

3. Black sashing on Chinese Coins

4. White sashing on Crumbs

5. Start bamboo Sashiko

What are your plans this month? Thinking Christmas????

SharonG/FL

Comments (53)

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Once Halloween gets here my life gets very hectic - and this year it has started earlier!!!

My one goal for October is to make a Kindle cover for myself and one for a sister for a Christmas gift.

I may not be quilting much - just getting things ready for the holidays.
    Rosa

• calliope
    11 years ago

There is precious little scheduled for October at our house, but that doesn't mean we won't get into some sort of project. However, the way it looks now I may be able to actually dawdle around in the sewing room. My UFOs are done, just have the binding to put on my sun/moon/stars quilt and would really like to address that this month. I am making blue/cream jewel box and carpenter's wheel blocks, but no hurry on that and not sure how they'll be used. May start my wool quilt I've had on my to do list for many years.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Thinking Christmas. Our Choir (30) will be having a luncheon next month and I am trying to think of something easy, quick, simple that I can make. Googled mug rugs so that might make it. And then again...
    Theresa

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I am so excited, I just finished hand-quilting another row of blocks today on my Grandma's queen-size quilt that I am planning to give her for Christmas. I have completed over 120 hours of hand-quilting on it so far and have 2 rows of blocks + outer border + binding to do. Hoping I have it completed before Thanksgiving week. :-) So that's my priority this October.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

My Oct goal is to finish a quilt for my 5 year old great niece. I'm bringing it to the retreat with the goal to assemble the top and collect additional ideas for the borders. My family is spread throughout the country and rarely do we see each other, so taking up quilting will be my way of touching all. It's a long term goal, this is only the second quilt out of 14 I hope to make, one for each of the great n/n, a single niece, & older siblings. By the time I get done, I'll need to start over...by then I'll forget who got what!!!! LOL
    V.

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

My main goal is to work on quilts I am making for Christmas. I am making a Mario quilt for DS and have 4 of the 12 blocks made. Each block has 324 one inch finished squares in it.
    Linda OH

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Wow Linda.....324 pieces in each block!!!

My main goal is to get as many blocks made as I can for my Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. The reveal for our group is Oct 30th. Some have the quilt completed, some have the top made, some just made some of the blocks and designed their own layout and I will have blocks to show...:( I have about 50 blocks made out of 140 so will not have all of them made but at least I will have something to show.

Mary

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Wow, you all have lots of ambitious, wondferful projects!

All I'm hoping for is to get through the month. I have the retreat, 2 work conferences, a new training initiative at work and some presentations to prepare for another conference in early November! I don't think I'll be quilting much, except as work stress relief therapy, between now and Thanksgiving.

Work is really getting in the way of my quilting!

Kate

• day2day
    11 years ago

I hope to get back to quilting.....that's my only goal.
    I haven't done any sewing for a long time. I just didn't feel like it.
    Hopefully I can soon get back to quilting.

~Geraldine

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Quiltnhen, a trip through Conn and Vermont sounds wonderful at this time of year. Beautifully colored trees, crisp, cold mornings, solitude and hopefully some hot coffee and chocolate. Can I live vicariously through you this month?

I have the first foster parent support group meeting I've been working on next week, class reunion and square dance funraiser for children's home (I'm doing decorations) next weekend, so when I need to sit down I hope to make a mug rug for a thank you gift. Then the middle of the month, I plan on started my dd wallhanging with matching placemats for Christmas. It's Asian inspired fabric, which I love.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

bev, feel free! If I ever find the camera charger to anything but my iphone maybe I'll have a good pic to post.

The quilt shop in Weston (or is it in Chester maybe) will be one of my stops for sure. Last time we stayed in Weston at the Colonnial House I was lucky enough to sit in on a trunk show being given by a woman who copies quilts from the museum and makes new patterns of them, Froncie Quinn.

She was there for a quilt retreat and they have others. For anyone who wants a great place with excellent food and lovely people I highly recommend the inn. It's not fancy, but very homey.

Sounds like you have a very busy life. I applaud people who are willing to be foster parents. How wonderful for those you take care of.

Kate, it sounds like your life 'runeth over'. Glad you've added fun to the mix, sounds like you'll have no breathers for weeks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Colonial House Inn

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Tried to post a link to Froncie Quinn, but don't know how to get it. If you type Froncie Quinn into google it takes you to Red Rooster Fabric and tells you about her book Enduring Grace, but I don't know how to use the url. It's really worth a look at her work. New England is a great place to see historical quilts, they're mind blowingly beautiful.
    LindaB/CA

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Geraldine, we all go through slumps and know how frustrating it can be. We are with you and glad to see you posting! I know you'll get through it and one day soon will be inspired by a project or a color or a pattern; then you'll be back into quilting and making up for lost time!

Kate

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Quiltnhen, my goodness, I don't foster. I raised four kids of my own and that did me in. LOL Our small group at church has started a support group for foster parents, provided training each month and free child care. They have to earn so much training each year and right now they have to travel at least 1/2 hour and pay for a sitter. We're hoping this will be a real blessing to them and take off some of the stress of being a foster parent. Next step will be to encourage other people to foster. The state reduced the number of foster kids you can take in the home and there is going to be a shortage of foster parents soon.

Geraldine, what is your favorite type of fabric to work with? What was your all time favorite thing you ever made? Any pictures?

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Bev, we've just started a foster and adoptive parent support program at our church, too. I think the kids and adults can use all the help they can get!

My cousin and her husband raised four kids of their own and always had a couple of foster kids in addition. They adopted at least two of the fosters. They kept taking in foster kids until they were well into their sixties.

Donna

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Geraldine. Boy are slumps natural, but I've noticed that toward the end of one everything I see stimulates my imagination and I cram my head full of quilt magazine images and finally touch fabric. Too bad the finishing the project and not taking on too many at once doesn't always have the same boost!

Sounds like you're lending a helpful hand anyway Bev! I remember back when I was young and wanted 4 kids! After the second healthy one I thought, I think that's all I'm suited to, I won't push my luck. Since I was a teacher I had plenty over the years anyway ;-)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What I did at retreat from my list:

1. Neckwarmers for Christmas
    Did 3 neckwarmers
    2. Two pillowcases for Christmas
    Two pillowcases
    3. Black sashing on Chinese Coins
    Black sashing on two sides (need to order more Kona black)
    4. White sashing on Crumbs
    White sashing on all yellow blocks
    5. Start bamboo Sashiko
    Didn't start the Sashiko

Plus, made 4 9-patch transition blocks that Sue gave a class on. I have enough fabric that I'll probably make 12 more blocks for a quilt.

I just woke up from a 2 hour nap and I'm yawning like I need more sleep time! But, I can't wait to get started on my sewing again. Besides meeting everyone, the best thing retreat did for me this year was to get the sewing juices flowing again.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Sharon, you made a pretty good dent in your list at retreat! Good for you!

I got my sewing room painted (pics to come) by myself...DH ended up working all weekend. Last night he helped me rehang the heavy stuff - pegboard, shelf, etc. and move the furniture back into place. I sewed the valance for the window and 2 blocks for a group baby quilt.

Planning to start the garment sewing next weekend if not some evening this week.

Donna

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Okay, here are the sewing room pictures:

New paint job and room back together!

New valance:

Valance fabric close up:

(Yes, of course it's kitty fabric! LOL)

Donna

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Very nice! And I love the cat fabric!

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

SO clean, SO neat, SO pretty!! You are so organized and inviting it makes me feel so guilty. A nice job and the your fabric is purrfect. TFS

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

How inspiring. Love your kitty fabric too!

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Love the wall colour. Looks like my bedroom colour.
    Are those kitty cross stitch pictures?
    Yes. so neat. so clean, so pretty.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jayne said: "...your fabric is purrfect." How cute is that!! And of course, it is!!!!

Looks good, Donna. Now get in there and start working on something so it doesn't look so neat. lol

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Your room looks so inviting! Can I come and sew in it? Sewing should be a breeze now and you'll be completing gifts for Chrismas lickety-split.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

The room looks great...hope you have many happy hours of quilting in your new room!
    V.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Awww...thank you all! It had been in need of painting for a VERY long time! LOL

And yes, Theresa, those are kitty cross stitch pictures. :) Kats by Kelly, I think.

Sharon, I promise I'll mess it up some this weekend! :)

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Beautiful and soooo organized! Show us another picture when it is sew organized after a few months :~).
    Pretty color and adorable valance.
    So clean and neat and refreshing --- I am jealous!

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Okay-my BIG Goal is to unpack from Retreat!
    Clean up my sewing area
    Get back some order to my space!

Those are pretty high goals!

• polardream
    11 years ago

Before retreat, my goal was to get ready for retreat! Now I need to adjust since I made 3 tops at retreat. My goal is to get all 3 of the sandwiched and quilted.
    - I got one done so far - 2 to go.

I also need to get little "kits" put together for my neighborhood quilt group for a project we will start in November. I think I will keep it simple and just add, clean up my sewing room.

Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marsha, You only need to unpack your sewing supplies and fabric. The rest can wait! I'm unpacked, but not everything is put away yet.

Sue, What project do you have in mind for your neighborhood quilt group?

Think I'll make a few more 9-patch transitional blocks today.

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Almost a week later......one more BOM block to make from a 2011 I was following, then revamp the setting of it to suit me better. Want to make 3 more neck warmers before the month is over and get a count of how many more I need to make. Also....have four boxes to get ready to mail. You'd think with 2 weeks left in the month I'd be able to get this much done.

Hope all are doing well.....

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I have one blouse finished, one dress done except for the hem, and it's matching shirt cut out and ready to sew. I have a 3 day weekend coming up so hopefully can finish my garment sewing and get back to quilting! LOL

Donna

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Well, best laid plans, etc. etc.

Found out yesterday my mom passed out Monday morning and banged her head, then passed out a second time in the afternoon and that fall broke her hip. Her lab work wasn't good so she's been just waiting for them to get everything regulated. That finally happened this afternoon but it was too late to schedule surgery, so it will be tomorrow morning at 11:40.

So...I spent today in Lakeland with her at the hospital and I'll be spending my day off tomorrow there, too. Not sure what the days after that will hold.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Donna, I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Praying her surgery goes well and she recovers quickly.

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I'll be praying for her tomorrow, too.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

So sorry about your mom, Donna. In older folks, it seems one thing just leads to another. We'll all be thinking about you and hoping for the best. Lois

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Warm hugs! Sure hope things start to ease for both of you.
    LindaB/CA

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Donna ~ Prayers for your Mom's Recovery.

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I hope your Mom did well, Donna. We're sending our best from here, too.

I'm unpacked and trying to get my wits about me. I've had three trips in 6 weeks, one the retreat, and am now planning to be home long enough to get things fixed around the house before the rain hits tomorrow. Just getting to stay home is a luxury these days.

Got home from the wedding trip with signed quilt blocks that will go together next. Bride kept a handful to send later and many guests ruined the blocks by writing all over them. So, don't know what this quilt will turn out like but I'll post pictures when done.

Found an old quilt top I used as a FMQ warm up piece when I set up my frame. It's pretty rough but if I tear out some of the stitching and do the borders and binding, I can call it a completed UFO. I know I'm cheating but can't throw it in the garbage. I'd better get that posted today as well.

Goals? I take one day at a time so my goals are just smoke and mirrors!

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Donna,
    I just saw this news about your Mom. Wishing you both well!

My predictions for the month turned out to be pretty accurate. I haven't had time to do anything and haven't even had much opportunity to visit the forum.

If there was going to be a time to have my poor machine in the shop, I guess this was it because I wouldn't have been using it anyway. I still haven't heard if it can be repaired. I've been doing some shopping, just in case. Ken's Sewing Center has offered a great deal on a Juki but a lot still depends on what happens with the Elna. The Juki with the really large harp (TL2010Qi) is my first choice because I want it for fmq. But if the Elna can't be fixed, I'll probably look at a Janome as a good all purpose machine. Decisions, decisions...

Kate

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Kate, I have a Juki TL98Q that I use on my frame. It only does straight stitch, but it does it better than any other machine I've had! I love it. As long as you clean the fuzz out of it and oil it occasionally, it sews like a dream.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

That's what I want: Straight stitch, good for fm, big harp. I don't have room for a frame, but the 2010qi works great on a table. I've only heard great things about the 98Q! Eveyone who has one loves it.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Donna I love your sewing room - I wish I had that much desk top space. I have spent just a little over 180 hours so far hand-quilting my Grandma's quilt. I have the blocks/middle of her quilt completely hand-quilted, 1 and a half sides of the border hand-quilted. And my wonderful S-I-L made a beautiful label on the back of the quilt for me. Hoping to have the border completed by mid-November and that should give me plenty of time before Christmas to do the binding. S-I-L is suppose to teach me the Leah Day binding technique on this quilt.

Best to you and have a great weekend!,
    quiltingfox

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Back on Oct. 1, I posted about making something for our choir members lunch. I decided against the mug rugs and instead decided to cross stitch snowflake hangings. The rugs would have been faster. But I do like what I did do. They range in size from 3" to 41/2 depending on the pattern and the Aida cloth. And was also inspired by the thread about using leftover batting. Each flake has batting behind it.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Theresa, those are so pretty! I know your choir friends will love them.

I got 2 of my 4 garments made, which isn't bad considering I've spent the last 2 weeks living half in Winter Garden & half in Lakeland with my mom!

Donna

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Theresa, they turned out lovely. What is the colored fabric? I assume something stiffer.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow Theresa, those are beauties!

Donna, With all you had going on this month, I think you did well in getting done what you did.

Sandra, You must be close to finishing the quilting on your Grandma's quilt by now. You sure get a lot done.

Kate, When you get all set up, maybe I could go over and you can teach me how to FM.

TG/Linda, Hope you have your wits by now (I'm sure you do) and have come up with a plan for the wedding blocks. I really don't think it will matter later on about those blocks that have writing all over them. Try to look at it as being a reminder of those people and that day for the bride and groom.

It's the last day of October and tomorrow starts a new month. Not sure what all I'll get sewn today, but I've pretty much decided to put all these quilts I'm working on away and just concentrate on one or 2 (or 3) for November.

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    11 years ago

Theresa, your snowflakes are really cute!

Well, I got 2 of my tops sandwiched & quilted, but the third is still sitting here ...

I did make 2 other small quits from fleece left over from tied fleece blankets. I will need to post a picture. I also finished 8 of my 2013 birthday blocks for the forum exchange (woohoo!).

I also got a "new" featherweight machine so I am having it serviced so I can start sewing with it.

My sewing machine is a mess, but the month isn't over, so I may get it straightened up a big & run the vacuum today.

Sue

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Bev, the backing is a craft weight felt, not the heavy stuff.
    Thanks for all your nice remarks
    Theresa