Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love2sew_gw

Need Info on Humen Treadle

love2sew
14 years ago

I am in search of a Singer Model 15 treadle. I have found this humen that looks like one. Here are some pictures and what the fellow said:

Hi, the sewing machine is a Humen, and very well could have been made by Singer as a Singer manual came with it.

The outside cover says Singer type 15.

The tension knob is on the nose of the machine left facing you.

Hopefully the picture's are clear enough for you so that the info you requested is visible.

My parents purchased it about 1953 or there about's.

I looked everywhere on the internet and only found a very slight reference that it might be associated to a singer. Any info anyone can provide is greatly appreciated. Oh, they are asking $200. for it.

Jeane

Comments (10)

• damascusannie
    14 years ago

What you have is an AWESOME model 15 that was NOT made by Singer, but most likely is Japanese. What does it say on the rectangular gold plate under the stitch length adjuster? Or is that just a maintenance or dealer sticker? Singer never put any name on the 15s other than Singer. Unlike other manufacturers, they did not make machines on contract to other dealers or retailers, so with one or two exceptions (the Spartan is the most common) if it doesn't say Singer on the machine, it's not a Singer. Also, a Singer machine would have an oval brass (or more rarely aluminum) badge where your's has that rectangular one.

The good news is that the Japanese made really, really excellent sewing machines and I use a Japanese 15 made for Montgomery Wards for my free-motion quilting machine. Nice find!

Annie

• love2sew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Annie, very late last night I found Chong Ching Sewing Machine Co. at Humen Town, Donggian City, China that made reference to this machine. I can read the plate says Humen Sewing Machine Co., _______________, China.

Can I feel confident that Singer feet will fit this machine? I was planning on getting a embroidery/darning foot for FM.

Do you think that knob up by the stitch length would drop the feed dogs?
    Jeane

• damascusannie
    14 years ago

Chinese! That's even cooler! or do I mean more cool? Singer low-shank feet will indeed fit the machine. I don't know about the knob, but it doesn't matter. You don't need to drop the feeddogs to FM quilt any way--that's just a myth perpetuated by the SM companies to convince women that they must buy a new machine in order to quilt. The FM foot negates the action of the feeddogs, so droppable dogs are simply irrelevant.

• grammyp
    14 years ago

I can't help you, but she is a BEAUTIFUL machine! What an awesome find.

beverly

• love2sew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well the machine is a no go! I asked some more questions and made a lower offer if the machine sewed well. I got an answer this morning, the machine does not sew but I think I could probably get it working. They just aren't interested in selling it cheap so I am not going to drive 250 mi one way to look at it. The lady was very nice and said they had another machine at her sisters that she might be interested in selling and will let me know.
    It is really a lot of fun looking for the perfect machine.
    Jeane

• damascusannie
    14 years ago

Oh well. I'd be willing to bet that it'll sew, but the price was plenty high. Keep looking--you'll find something closer to home.

• grammyp
    14 years ago

Perhaps she will reconsider. It is a lovely machine.

beverly

• love2sew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annie I hope you can help me again. I am looking at a machine Monday, Oct 12 right here at home. It sounds like a model 15 "Singer".

The lady told me that the machine needed a new belt. The first one she ordered she cut too short so she now has another new one that she hopes I will install.

I printed off the instructions to install the new belt. First I do not have a leather hole punch tool. The instructions say a new belt needs to be snug as it will stretch...how snug? Is there any other tips you can give me or should I not do this?

I will take my camera with me. This lady is a member of the Quilt Guild I belong to. I feel I am getting closer to finding the right machine.

I appreciate any information you have to share.
    Jeane

• damascusannie
    14 years ago

As snug as you can get it and you don't need a hole punch--just use either a tiny nail (called a ''brad") or drill the hole with a tiny drill bit. In fact, I've punched them at the machine using a heavy duty needle.

• humenowner
    10 years ago

I just started to look up info on my humen treadle machine. It belonged to my mother-in-law but as neither of her daughters are interested in sewing they agreed I could have it. It looks just like the picture by love2sew. Now I'm hoping my 92 year old mother-in-law will be able to remember some information about it.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!