Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janice__indiana5

Casserole Carriers

janice__indiana5
16 years ago

Grammyp, How did your casserole carriers turn out? I would like to make one for a niece for Christmas.

Janice

Here is a link that might be useful: Casserole Carriers

Comments (12)

• grammyp
    16 years ago

They came out ok. They cancelled the raffel so I gave them away. I need to practice on binding curves, but other than that I was pleased. Didn't take pictures, sorry, but here is the pattern I used.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Casserole carrier

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

I had forgotten about those!!! They'd make nice xmas gifts,especially for my DIL who is always taking covered dishes to work.Will probably have to quilt my own fabric though as i hardly ever see any nice double quilted fabric in my area.
    Thanks for the idea.
    Kathi

• janice__indiana5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the link Beverly.

What pattern will you use Kathi? I see very little quilted fabric around here, so I will probably have to quilt my own also.

Janice

• csackett
    16 years ago

I've seen them made out of a square. I quilted mine and put that thermal type batting in the middle. on two opposite corners you sew a loop with a ring in it. On the other two opposite corners you sew a strip slightly longer then your square. Connect the strip on both corners (opposite). Once you put in your pot or pan pull the fabric strip through the two rings and it becomes the handle. It was very easy and a good way to use up scraps.
    Carolyn

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

I don't know Janice.I'll have to look thru my patterns and see if i have one.I probably do,will let you know.
    Kathi

• rivgdn
    16 years ago

Hi Janice, I have a great casserole cover if you would like to measure and try to make a pattern, Jenny (I would even help you!!)

• vickiva
    16 years ago

I made this pattern during the summer and it turned out great-in fact I used it on Friday to take a casserole to school. I did the monogramming on the front then added an iron-on apple since my machine doesn't do fancy embroidering. Here is the link for you:

http://www.babylock.com/ftp/projects/casserole.pdf

-Vicki in VA

• janice__indiana5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm...Jenny, That sounds like a plan. Now that I think about it, I do remember you having a great casserole carrier. Didn't your MIL make it for you???

Janice

• janice__indiana5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Vicki, I like your pattern. It looks like there would be room to stow your serving spoon!

Janice

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Here is a description of my casserole carrier - which I like because it can contain different sizes and shapes of casseroles, 9x13 pans, and round pie plates:

two parts, both 11" x 30" with quilted fabric on one side and vinyl or oilcloth on the other side, seam with 1/2" seam, putting 15" handles on the tops of one part, leaving an opening, turn, top stitch all edges

lay one on top of the other (quilted side to the outside on both), stitch 3 lines of stitching to sew the two parts together, leaving 4th side open to insert sturdy square of wood or other material to give a firm base

sew velcro on edges of inner parts that fold over to contain casserole.

Here is a pic of the carrier open:

{{!gwi}}

And with the casserole contained in the carrier, handles up, ready to go:

{{!gwi}}

• gininmn
    16 years ago

Those are so nice. Thanks, Teresa, for posting pictures and direction for yours. I like that it fits so many sizes & shapes. I need to come up with one that fits my old Rival crockpot--maybe hexagon botton with 3 pairs of wings (one narrower than other two and straps be run thru sturdy loops on the other flaps to cover round sides and add stability because of its height? Or maybe someone knows of an existing pattern to use?

• irishdancersgram
    16 years ago

Teresa, I really like your carrier...We have a card party coming up and that would be nice to give as prizes....Now to find the time to make them.....
    Dorothy

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm