Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Oct. 4-5

lindaoh_gw
9 years ago

What are you working on this weekend? I'm still puttering around in my sewing room, trying to organize it. We haven't gone back to Ikea yet to get the rest of my furniture for the room. DD and DSIL haven't been feeling well this week and we watched the baby for them several times.
I hope to have time to get back into my sewing room this weekend and work on the Oct. BOM from Quilt Doodle Doodles.
Linda OH

Comments (23)

• jackier123
    9 years ago

I am mostly preparing for retreat this weekend. I need to get my travel machines oiled and cleaned and finish cutting apart a gazillion half square triangles. I also would like to get a quilt that is on the frame finished so that I come back to an empty frame. I am soooo ready to be at retreat!

Jackie

• msmeow
    9 years ago

I will be working on the Hunter's star quilt. I also am nearly done with block 3 of 4 on my hand applique, so I'll finish that and then probably baste a hand pieced table runner for hand quilting.

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I'm with Jackie. I'm trying to get stuff together for retreat, and also trying to finish a quilt on the frame before I go. It's causing me trouble. The first half went without issue, but now the thread keeps shredding...and I only have 2-3 passes left to go. grrr I've changed bobbins, cleaned, changed needles, re-threaded. I walked away last night. When I go back, I'll try oiling the machine and see if that helps.

There's also a quilt show in my town so I'm heading that way this afternoon. Plus, have bills to pay and applesauce to make!

It's going to be a busy day!

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Sorting, deciding, packing... a little stressed because I have too much to do, but I have a big smile on my face thinking about Retreat. Wish you could ALL be there!

Kate

Have I packed too much?

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

Love the visual, Kate. It brings me back to reality.

I'm also trying to clear the decks a bit. Putting borders onto an applique quilt today so it's ready to quilt when I get home. I tend to pack too much so I'll go through the piles and start removing things. Clothes? Will anyone notice if I wear the same clothes all weekend? Maybe I should bring a change or two. Hate to give up that space, though.

Looking forward to next week.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Spray basted a quilt this morning. Trying to quilt it but my machine is acting up so I am giving it a rest.
    Here is a question for spray basters. Do you press the sandwich before you start quilting? I never have but thought I would give it a try today. Have to see how it ends up.
    Getting jealous of the retreaters.
    Theresa

This post was edited by nannykins on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 12:45

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I am busy with quilting stuff this weekend. Hand-quilting butterfly baby quilt. I gave my sister a framed quilt block our Grandmother had made back in the 40's as part of her Christmas present last year,.... so now she wants me to make 3 more quilt blocks that she can frame and hang with it in her guest bedroom. ... so this weekend I am sketching out some quilt patterns and once we decide on the patterns then she is going to go fabric shopping for the blocks and then hopefully I can get these last 3 blocks made before I see her around Christmas. And if I have time after I get these blocks sketched out then I want to cut some more fabric for my Scattered Leaves quilt. So lots of fun stuff to do this weekend.

Best to you all,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Love the photo Kate. I too would love to be there.

As for spray basting, never pressed it once sprayed. It seems like it might melt things and not wash out later, but that's a guess.

LindaB/CA

• tanya5
    9 years ago

Trying to finish off two christmas table runners, At the moment i'm stitching in the ditch for the very first time.

Question: What length should the stitch be, and should i be using a special thread? i'm just been using quilters thread (Guttermans).

Any advice would be much appreciated, as i am new to quilting and slowly teaching myself via youtube.

Regards Tanya

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Welcome Tanya,
    Gutterman's thread is a nice thread. I think a 2.5 thread length is good. I find Stitch in the Ditch takes alot of practice to stay in that ditch - Don't get discouraged. I find stitching 1/4" from the seam line easier and looks nice if you can sew straight, and your pattern design looks good with that outline.

I am trying to work out some details for a Rehearsal Dinner today. In between, I am trying to sew on the borders on a Halloween Quilt. I should be cleaning up from a plumber's visit that involved cutting thru the drywall -- ugh! I think plumbing issues are the worst!

I wish I was frantically getting ready for Retreat, but sadly, I am not. I miss you all!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Hi Tanya, Welcome to the forum. Hope you can show us pictures of your Christmas table runners as we like pictures......I'm a visual person. :-)

I haven't sewn anything today and not sure about tomorrow. You all sound busy, busy, busy, and here I sit.......a slug! But, I did cut some scraps today......does that count?

Wish I was getting ready for retreat, too.

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Slug away, Sharon! You will bounce back.
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Hi all, always a day late to the table on this post :-)

Welcome Tanya! Please don't be a stranger to this site! You will always find good advice on this site. I agree with Marsha and would use 2.5 with gutterman thread. Do post a pic..we love pics!

I too am attempting to ready for retreat and for whatever reason, have been dilly-dallying on what to pack. Last nite, I found some blocks I did 2 or 3 yrs ago, the white is a tad dusty looking and my skills have improved since, but I still like these guys and decided its time to assemble...ok that's one project! Time to get serious today on the rest of packing.... Ooohh I can't wait to escape and sew!!!

Nannykins, I'm a new spray baster and yes I've ironed after sandwiching, but I didn't ask first, just did it .... so I can't speak to the long term effects. I will say it wasn't too effective afterwards, but I did learn to iron the batting before sandwiching

Based on my dilly-dallying and K8's packing power, looks like we'll need to get the big car out for our ride....machines strapped to front bumper...here we come!!!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

hahaha Valerie!! You and Kate rock!!

• msmeow
    9 years ago

You gals are a stitch! Have a great time on the retreat.

Well, I've decided to put the Hunter's star on hold...it's just too slow for me right now. I want something quick to make for this Christmas gift, so I've decided to try Bonnie Hunter's strip twist. It's just 2-1/2 strips in light and dark, so I can make it scrappy.

Off to start cutting 2-1/2 strips!

Donna

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I want to know which one is Kate and which one is Valerie.
    Finished the quilting on the little quilt yesterday, just straight line and so this morning, i basted two more tops. Will get to the quilting when i figure out what to do.
    A good morning because i also made 4 pumpkin loaves and 3 lemon loaves. I just told my daughter that since i have fallen on the last two Sundays, i had better be very careful for the rest of the day. thankfully, nothing broken!

Was it last year that Kate packed the rum? Is that already in a bag? Or in one of the barrels strapped to the front?
    Theresa

This post was edited by nannykins on Sun, Oct 5, 14 at 12:38

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Well, as I understand things, Valarie is driving to retreat! lol

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I haven't quilted a thing this weekend so far, and it's late Sunday afternoon. Spent several hours yesterday taking my sailboat out of the water - always a stressful time. On top of that, the temperatures were in the low 40's, and it was really windy. Last Sunday it was 82 and sunny - the most perfect day. Monday, the high was 52, and it was rainy and windy. What fluctuations we have here in in Minnesota. Today we had to tarp the boat and store it for winter.

My office/sewing room looks like Hurricane Sandy blew through it. I got a new phone and a new computer last week, and I'm trying to get used to a Mac after years on a PC. I need to upgrade my printer/scanner and pick up a new modem tomorrow. Too much tech stuff! I'm used to having an office with tech support, but now that I'm retiring, I'm trying to get my home office updated. I need to get rid of paper and make more room for fabric.

Maybe if I just throw a bunch of stuff onto the floor, I can get a little quilting done. I hope so. I'm really envious of everyone who's going to retreat. Maybe next year! Be sure to keep us updated on what's going on at retreat. The rest of us will all live vicariously through you.

• tanya5
    9 years ago

Good morning,

Thank you for the lovely welcome and the advise.

I was using a 2.2 stitch length, this would explain the ruffling? oh well looks like i will be unpicking to day :(

Sharon G/FL i no what you mean, i too am a visual person. So here i go (not very good).

Tanya

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Like them!
    Theresa

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Love the pattern. Really pretty runners. Can't see the problem from here, but hope it works out well for you.

This group is wonderful at problem solving.

Welcome.
    LindaB/CA

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Tanya,
    So glad you posted a pic... The runners look very nice, but what is most important is to Have Fun!
    V.

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Your shorter stitch length should not have caused the 'ruffling'.
    (I like to piece with w/ a 2.2 stitch length). If your tension is balanced, you should have had no problems. Check your bobbin tension before you ripp out those stitches. I would try to press --not iron --- spay a bit of water on the area first & press lightly & see if the 'ruffling' straightens out.
    Your table runners are lovely and I really like your chairs!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz