Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Sept. 6-7

lindaoh_gw
9 years ago

Sorry that I'm late with my weekend post. I have been playing in my sewing room most of the day. I cut out a red and white Hunter's Star quilt with my Go Cutter last night and have been sewing today. I had 5 red and 5 white FQs that I cut to make 20 blocks. I have all the quarter sections done. Need to press and sew together.
Saturday is our 45th wedding anniversary. We don't have any special plans. The kids may come over to do some outdoor work tomorrow.
And more good news, we got an offer on our old house, we countered and they accepted. Still have to sign the offer on Monday because they are going to be out of town for the weekend..
Are you quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (21)

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Linda, I'm so glad you were finally able to get into your new sewing room and sew. The Hunter's Star pattern will look stunning in red and white. And congratulations on the sale of your house. What a relief!

As I mentioned in another post, I've been working on the big red quilt. I started sewing the blocks together tonight. I decided to sew 4x4 sections together instead of sewing long,16 block rows together. I think this will keep the quilt from getting wonky, and it's sure a lot easier to work with. That's what I'm up to this weekend.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Great news Linda!
    Looking forward to seeing the Hunters Star.
    Theresa

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Looks like red is the star color here lately! That's the color of the one I've been working on. Congrats on the offer on the home, Linda, what a relief for you. Don't know if I'll be quilting, haven't touched it in over a week. But it's better not to do it if I'm not feeling it. I've been furiously trying to get the garden plot ready for fall planting and it's brutally hot out there. Why is it that the plants we want to grow can't survive but the weeds thrive???

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Lois, when I'm working on a big quilt like yours, I do it in sections too. Makes it easier to manipulate, and helps to keep everything lined up well. So much easier to sew the 4 big sections together at the end!

Linda, congrats on the contract! I'm sure that's a relief.

I hope to do some more quilting today, but tomorrow is booked with cub scout activities. We'll see what I can get done.

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Glad things are going well with the sale of your old home Linda, that must be a great relief. This weekend I am starting to hand-sew the butterfly and granny square blocks together for the baby quilt I am working on.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Linda, congratulations on the house contract! I hope all goes through with the sale.

I am getting a little time to quilt this afternoon. DH took SisIL to the airport about an hour and a half ago. I sewed for a bit then stopped for lunch. We have a phone service person coming this afternoon then need to go to the grocery, but I'll sew in between. :)

Tomorrow we're going to go see my mom.

Donna

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

Good news, Linda. Bet that's a relief.

I have quilted two little wallhangings that will go home to Oregon with me next week as housewarming gifts to two granddaughters who have just moved. I will tack down the binding while I sit at a quiet volunteer job tomorrow.

I have patterns and fabric in the works for retreat planning so I am constantly on the computer with my EQ7 diddling - a serious quilting term - to refine what I want to do and what I need to buy to do it.

Looking forward to retreat. Wish more would join us, even if only for one day.

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Linda OH, fantastic. What a relief that must be! A word of caution. When we sold our house in March we actually met the people. They were so nice and friendly I gave them my email. At first they just asked about how to care for the plants in the yard, etc. Soon it was, so and so isn't working right, etc. I'd already given them all the manuals, but there were renters in the house for the two years previous to the sale.
    She asked about a cleaning person, so I shared the name of mine. She was so harsh with her needs on the phone that they never even met in person! Pretty soon I was sorry I'd shared my email address!
    LindaB/CA

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Forgot after my wordy response. I'm still plugging away on the comfort quilt binding, but finished my son's. Now it needs a label.

I decided on the layout for my birthday blocks from 2013 and bought and cut out the sashing, but need to get the parts together now.
    LindaB/CA

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Linda....Good news on the contract! What a relief!

Maybe some partial assembly of swoon blocks on Sunday...the old hand and arm are achy.... need to give the muscles a rest.

V.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I had resolved not to start something new until my UFOs were under control. But last weekend I said I was getting antsy so resolve out the window.
    I had a collection of black and whites along with some greys left from another quilt so picked an easy pattern.
    I did this one two years ago, called Moon Dance, basically rail fence with snowball corners. Easy enough to do but I decided to jazz it up a bit. So,with some planning and graph work I have been working on it for a few days. Right now it is on the LR floor and as soon as I get dressed, I will start sewing. Pictures to follow.
    Long winded today.
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

Theresa, you get dressed to sew? Didn't know I was supposed to do that.

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

Finished up these little housewarming gifts and can now move on to some serious fabric shopping or something. Don't have that retreat challenge finished yet so maybe that is next in line. Will be out of town next weekend but later I'll get back to the important stuff.

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Toolgranny those are great! They are cheerful and fun.

Nannykins, does that mean I'll do better if I don't sew in my robe?

Fully clothed with no clock in the sewing room, I forgot to pick up my jacket from the quilt show, so I'm not too sure.

LindaB/CA

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I had a productive weekend! Finished two quilts, including the binding; one for a gift and one for a new wallhanging outside the front door. Also made a bracelet. I'll post something separate with pictures.

Still no where near ready for Retreat. I don't have finished quilts to bring, other than a small wallhanging, and haven't decided what new thing to start working on. Running out of time!!!

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Toolgranny, I love your little quilts! Very creative!

I got enough sewing time in to finish the blocks and assemble the center of the quilt for my friend. Now it just needs borders and quilting. I have 2 days off this week; maybe I can get it finished!

Donna

• nannykins
    9 years ago

This is the result of the weekend.
    It needs a border, 4 in. Of one of the grays and then I think a red binding.
    I don't have much of the rest left so making do with what I have most of.
    Theresa

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Ps. As it is now, it is 48x64 so will finish up at 56 x72. Good lap sized.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Theresa, That's a very striking quilt. I like it!

Linda, Your wallhangings are really cute. Good job! Have fun delivering them.

LindaOH, Hope all goes well with the house sale.

I did a little sewing over the week-end but forget what the pattern name is. I'm calling it wonky shooting stars because I'm sure it isn't what it's supposed to be....but, that's ok.

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Ooh! Another quilt for my list. Does the pattern have a name. I love all the black and white with bold color accents.
    LindaB/CA

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Very cool, Theresa!

Donna