Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Featherweight Tote

K8Orlando
10 years ago

I was so inspired by using a featherweight throughout Retreat that I decided I needed to make a shoulder tote for mine. I'm looking forward to taking it camping in a few weeks and now it's ready to go.

I used oilcloth and lined it with a nice beige cotton. I made a separate bottom liner using a heavy timtex for stability and 1" webbing for the straps.

I'm pretty happy with the results.

Kate

This post was edited by k8orlando on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 16:05

Comments (23)

• procrastinator
    10 years ago

Beautiful sturdy tote! I always worry about the handles on old cases. Been using a canvas boat tote bag for mine. Have another in a wheeled salesman tote with a collapsible handle.

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Very nice, Kate! Now your FW can travel in style!

Teresa

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Kate, it's great! I love your fabric.

Donna

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Now that is just the cutest thing. What a great idea.

beverly

• sunnycentralfl
    10 years ago

That is a Winner! Great job!

TFS,
    Gwen

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

It looks really nice, love the fabric.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

That's an awesome tote - I love the fabric.

Kate, you always do such a great job!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Ok, so I replied earlier, but I guess GW gnomes ate my answer!

I think this is great! It will travel securely & in style!

• grandmamary_ga
    10 years ago

Wow! Just like the one I bought at a home party. Mine has pockets all along the outside for my stuff. lol I love yours. The fabric is terrific. Great job. Glad that you had a nice time at retreat. I loved seeing the many quilts that were hanging over the handrails at the lodge. Beautiful work. Nice that everyone had such a nice time.
    Mary

• grandmamary_ga
    10 years ago

Wow! Just like the one I bought at a home party. Mine has pockets all along the outside for my stuff. lol I love yours. The fabric is terrific. Great job. Glad that you had a nice time at retreat. I loved seeing the many quilts that were hanging over the handrails at the lodge. Beautiful work. Nice that everyone had such a nice time.
    Mary

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

That is great. Looks very professional. Took me a minute to figure that it was the case inside as I was wondering about the top....senior moment I guess. lol

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! Not sure why the picture showed up sideways, so here it is the right way!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

LOL Kate, I just thought you were having a "Valarie" moment!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Left/ right/up/down... it's all so confusing!

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

another creation by Amazing k8 !!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Kate, Good job on the tote. You're such a good tote maker you should make some to sell.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There might be a market for fw totes! At dinner last night with some neighbors I showed this picture and one of the guys asked me to make one for his fw. He said the handle is tearing away from the box and the tote would reduce further wear on the handle. Procrastinator mentioned that in a post above too and I can see where that could be an issue with these old cases.

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Oh I agree it is functional and gorgeous! I love the mesh pockets on the sides.
    Rosa

• redmary
    10 years ago

Really nice job, Kate! Truly a great idea. Will have to put this on the to do list

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Pretty, fun and useful! 100% great.
    LindaB/CA

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

What a great idea! TFS

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

What this about a Valarie moment?! ?! There's a bag of scraps in your future young lady!!
    LOL

/\.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

NNNNNOOOOOOOO!! No scraps!!!!!!