Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Sept.28-29

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

I have been busy sewing this week. I have all the quilt tops I am making for the babies for Christmas ready to be quilted. Today I embroidered the borders for the five little monkeys quilt I am making for DD's baby shower. She is decorating her nursery around this quilt. Tomorrow I plan to trim the borders to fit and finish the quilt top.
I have several BOMs that I need to make to get caught up. That is my plan for Sunday,
Are you quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (26)

• polardream
    10 years ago

I am still in the process of trying to scan some pictures for DSs wedding coming up in November. They would like me to get them to them by Sunday ...

We are also getting new carpet in a week, so I am in the process of boxing up EVERYTHING in my sewing room and moving it to the one room in the house which we are NOT replacing the carpet! OH MY GOSH - what a chore!

If I can find time, I will try to do a little hand quilting on a UFO queen size quilt.

Sue

• calliope
    10 years ago

Hopefully. I am doing the finish work on the Chinese Lantern quilt (this summer's only quilting project) I found about a one foot square section of quilting in one corner where there's a bunching on the back material, and shall have to remove it and redo it. Thank goodness it's on the corner and can be easily redone. That didn't even ruffle my feathers. Tomorrow my husband is out of town visiting and that means I should be able to spend a few hours sewing. It will be hand-work. I want to put this project to bed (literally as well as figuratively).

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I will try to do some work on the batik quilt for GS. I can do a lot of chain sewing if I get everything organized. I also plan to make chili sauce today so while it is cooking away, it can be sewing time since I have one machine on the kitchen table..
    Theresa

• grammyp
    10 years ago

We are going kayaking this morning and I will have the grands, but I have one of the last 2 for the trail run in in the frame and hope to finish both of them this weekend. If there is time, I'll start on the bindings, too.

beverly

• msmeow
    10 years ago

I'm headed to JoAnn's in a bit to get backing for the 3 donation quilts I'm making. Hopefully I can get one or two quilted tomorrow.

I went to the Jacksonville quilt show yesterday. As usual, lots of beautiful quilts! I noticed very quickly that bling is the thing...after about 2 rows of quilts I was tired of all of them being sparkly. Just not my thing, I guess, or maybe too much of it. JMHO.

Today I'm planning to organize and edit pictures from our trip and the quilt show.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I hope so. My new dr has discovered I'm B-12 deficient so after a shot every week for a month plus daily under the tongue pills, I hope to be able to put the pedal to the floor and get a few WIP's completed. In the meantime, I'll piddle along doing what I can.

Donna, Did you and Kate meet up at the quilt show?

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Sharon, have you been tired? My doc had me try B12 and I couldn't tell it made a difference. Of course, I tried to tell him I don't sleep well. which is my problem. Oh, well...

I saw a few folks from Orlando at the quilt show, but not Kate. Of course, there were a lot of people there!

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Well, I was actually able to quilt a little on Thursday night!! I got the borders on my braid quilt from retreat. Plus, I got black borders cut and prepared for my stack 'n whack which I finished piecing at retreat.

Today, I hope to get that border on the quilt.

I will then need backing for 2 quilts, and will have 5 in the wings waiting to be quilted.

Maybe I'll also be able to start another UFO technique quilt that I got from my friend...it's been staring at me for awhile. FUN!

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Camping and quilting! Sadly, we didn't make it to the quilt show yesterday because my friend became ill just as we got there. She spent the day with paramedics and ER doctors instead of with quilters and vendors! But everything turned out OK so we aren't complaining! A scary day with a happy ending.

Today we all spent a quiet day around the camp, with a little sewing

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Donna, It isn't just being tired, I have no stamina, needed wheelchair at the airport to get to the gate, losing my hair badly, losing my balance, shaky - there are a ton of symptoms that, alone, mean nothing or explained by aging. But putting them together, plus confirmed by lab work, well, it was extremely low. I did get the last 2 Maverick Stars made today, though. :-) Next, I want to make a couple of pink DJ blocks.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Kate, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, but glad all turned out well!

Sharon, I hope the B12 helps a lot!

Taking a break from the pictures...we sure took a bunch! LOL I also decided to try to get the videos off the mini discs our camcorder uses, since we no longer have a pc or laptop that can take the mini discs. I was able to copy them all onto the pc! Woohoo! We took a little footage on this trip; there were also short videos from our 50th birthday cruise 2 years ago, and quite a few from our 25th anniversary cruise 5 years ago. It's nice to have them on the pc where they can be backed up and copied onto other media.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Kate, So sorry to hear about your friend, but happy it all turned out ok. A quiet day around the camp fire with a little sewing isn't such a bad thing.

FYI: Meagan is working at the Renaissance Hotel gift shop by Sea World

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

It's rather hot here today 95*F, but suppose to cool off to the upper 80's next week, so ready for fall weather. I collected some Rose of Sharon and Coneflower seeds today from my garden. Once it cools off like November or December then will get busy with weeding and pruning when hopefully the snakes have gone into hibernation. The back half of my large back yard flowerbed is full of grass and MG that was self-seeded from seeds I missed when harvesting them last year. This past week and this weekend I am hand-piecing granny square quilt blocks and reading some in my Elm Creek Quilts "Round Robin" novel. Trying to get the laundry finished up this afternoon and am almost over my sinus infection thankfully. I am ready for fall and starting to organize a Christmas gift shopping list for family, only 3 months until Christmas. This year has really flown by for us. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Sharon, I hope you start feeling better soon...

Donna, that must have been fun to go to the quilt show in Jax...

I've not been quilting, but sewing... My best friend's aunt who is about 80 is having a cancerous growth removed from her nose on Monday, so I made her a card to let her know I was thinking of her. She's scared... she's already had about 50 radiation treatments on it and that took care of it for a while, but apparently, it's back... At first I wanted to do something all fabric, but I didn't have time to fool with all that and hope it turned out right and using printed images and words allows me to be more specific and creative... and I still get to sew! It really frames all the pieces and gives that homemade touch and makes everything lie flat, unlike glue which wrinkles as it dries...

Had to use the Brother because the Nina told me in no uncertain terms that she does not do card stock (or paper piecing!)... those humble tasks are beneath her... so she got to to sit with her hand wheel (well, sewing machines don't have noses) in the corner while Brother boy and I knocked this one out...

Everything on the card is specific to aunt Jean... she had a dog named Sugar that looked just like the one in the picture, we go to thrift stores all the time, she always makes Elvis pound cake, and her truck looks just like that one, so it will be really personal... I tried to inject a bit of humor as well with the picture on the front... I'm about to take it over to her now as soon as I trim threads....

Hope everyone continues to have a great and productive weekend.

• jackier123
    10 years ago

We spent yesterday at Dollywood since my husband's company gave employees 2 tickets. Was on roller coasters most of the day. Then took a side trip to my mom's,since she lives up that way, to pick up a dog that she decided that we must have. I hope to finish quilting a twin that is on the frame today.

Jackie

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Bobby, that's a very special and thoughtful card! I know she will love it!

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I spent a few hours getting acquainted with my new sewing machine - Pfaff Performance 5.0--bells and whistles I like -- thread cutter & pulls the top thread to the back, push button start & stop, 3 presser foot lift heights for pivoting and chain piecing.
    I still need to take the "lesson" with the dealer to learn the rest - the manuals are lacking in instruction nowadays.
    I made 5 scrappy blocks for Bonnie Hunter's Virginia Bound quilt from her workshop. I used mostly the throwaway scraps from my friends at Retreat. Scrappy IS NOT my thing, and making these Paper pieced blocks is not fast & makes a big mess. :) but the blocks look great and are full of memories!
    Thanks for sharing your scraps again this year!

Bobby - I love your creativity and thoughtfulness! I now understand when you get upset about your thread cutter not working! I thought of you every time I pushed that button!!!

Sharon - B12 deficiency -- might explain the past year. Hope you feel better soon!

Kate-Very scary event - Glad it turned out well for your friend.

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Thanks.... she did love it :o)

Oh Marsha that looks like a fine machine! To me, there is nothing more exciting than getting a new sewing machine, so congrats! :o)

Does it have the automatic lifting presser foot? I know a lot of Vikings do that, but I've never gotten to use any that had it. I imagine it takes some getting used to. When I was looking for a high end used machine, I never saw any Pfaffs for sale.... I think people really hang onto them because they are so good. I bet the IDT is amazing!

People who haven't used a machine with a thread cutter cannot comprehend how frustrating it is when it doesn't work! I think my problems are over with now, but it took a while to get there...

I wish you many happy hours of quality bonding. :o)

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Thanks.... she did love it :o)

Oh Marsha that looks like a fine machine! To me, there is nothing more exciting than getting a new sewing machine, so congrats! :o)

Does it have the automatic lifting presser foot? I know a lot of Vikings do that, but I've never gotten to use any that had it. I imagine it takes some getting used to. When I was looking for a high end used machine, I never saw any Pfaffs for sale.... I think people really hang onto them because they are so good. I bet the IDT is amazing!

People who haven't used a machine with a thread cutter cannot comprehend how frustrating it is when it doesn't work! I think my problems are over with now, but it took a while to get there...

I wish you many happy hours of quality bonding. :o)

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Sharon, Hope the B12 helps. I have been inj. myself for years once a mo. and appreciate the need. Total exhaustion when I try to put it off and my DH says I am a total witch with a "B" when I need it.
    Not doing much quilting this weekend, try to pick up the one I am hand quilting when I sit in front of the tv and I have scrap that I do a little on. Try and set it up and then do some fast sewing chains when I have a min.

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Marsha, I'm sure you've probably seen this video if you've researched the machine online, but I thought it was very good... at 48 minutes long, it goes into a lot of detail. I watched the whole thing just because I like to compare other things to what I have and since sewing machines are a secondary obsession for me...

Does that one do embroidery too? The video didn't mention anything about that, but the features of that machine are amazing and it does some beautiful stitches. And the screen is so responsive! The only thing I found that I thought might have room for improvement is the needle threader... I don't know why every machine doesn't have that one touch, one finger needle threader that Brother puts on their mid to high end machines... But still, what a fun machine, and I bet you're just having a blast with it :o)

Anyway, just wanted to bring this video to your attention in case you haven't seen it yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pfaff Performance 5.0

• Vanislegirl88
    10 years ago

I've been working on this Sock Monkey quilt for a friend of my son's who has just had a baby boy. Just need eyes on the monkey...any suggestions? And then binding and a bit of quilting in the border.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Cute monkey quilt! You could embroider the eyes.

Yesterday I got the backings pieced for the 3 donation quilts I'm making, and got the first one quilted.:)
    Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Cute monkeys, Kristy! I'd probably just take a black fabric pen for the eyes, but that's just me.

I ultimately got 2 borders on my braid quilt, a border and binding made for my paisley quilt, border on my Stack 'n Whack quilt. All quilts started at Retreat are now in the ready-to-quilt pile!! But they'll stay there for awhile while I await backing...

• Vanislegirl88
    10 years ago

Excellent idea Jennifer. Why didn't I think of that? That's why this is such a great place to come.... :-)

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I didn't quilt this weekend, but on the way home from my sister's home in Madison, Wisconsin, I stopped at Mill House Quilts in Waunakee, just a bit north of Madison. What a fantastic quilt shop. Anyone in the area should be sure to check it out. It's even open Thursday evening and Sunday too. One of my pet peeves is that so many quilt shops have no evening hours and are closed on Sunday. I bought only some thread, because I have fabric for 5 quilts now. It was tempting though.