Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casi_gw

creative idea for pillow tuck

casi
12 years ago

Yippee I finally got my number 30 block completed...had a slight problem because I ran out of material! My quilt club helped me by suggesting that I make a 12 in. out of a 9 in. block that I made by mistake. Anyway, am working on the sashing per the link below. Does anyone have a creative way to make the pillow tuck using the method that I'm using. Should I just fill in between the last row and the row before with 10 in. of the "red"?

Comments (19)

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I need the link! I did a Net search and couldn't find anything.
    Rosa

• casi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry! In the middle of me posting my thread, DH decided that he wanted me to order something and I forgot what I was doing in the process of trying to do both!

Here is a link that might be useful: sashing link

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

So, you're asking if instead of adding additional blocks to make the quilt big enough to do a pillow tuck, could you add a solid large block of the sashing. Is that the question?
    You could do that but I think you'll be unhappy with the finished quilt. I may be wrong but I think it will look kind of awkward and that wide red strip will really stand out except when it's hidden beneath the pillow. Why not skip the tuck and make some pretty, matching pillowcases instead? Or purchase some that go with the quilt. How important is the tuck to you?

Kate

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Oh, I wouldn't do that at all - it's just too limiting. As Kate said, it will an awkward design.

You'll never be happy with the quilt unless it is always on that size bed.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I agree with Kate and Mary. I never tuck my quilts and I uses pillows. I think matching pillow shams (or pillowcases) with the same blocks would look great.
    If you are out of material can you find something similar?? It doesn't have to be the exact fabric to look good together.
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Pillow cases are fun and easy to make. Once you start you'll want to always make them to match your quilts. Tutorial attached, but if this one doesn't make sense just google 'pillowcase tube method' and you'll find lots of videos.

kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Tube method for making pillow cases

• polardream
    12 years ago

I agree with Kate, Mary & Rosa that you would probably be unhappy with the finished result. You have put so much work into your quilt, you want to love it when you are finished! I made matching pillow shams for my queen size quilt (although it is big enough for a pillow tuck) and like the "completeness" of it. These are the matching shams I made.

Pillow cases are another great way to get that completed look. Here is another link to a tutorial that is REALLY simple for the pillowcases...
    Good luck and congratulations on finishing your blocks!
    Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Sausage roll pillowcase

• casi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know what you all are saying, but I have had shams on my beds for years and at night when you go to bed....where do you put them...on the floor and the dog lays on them! A friend of mine was finishing a quilt she started some time ago and she made a fold under the pillow...as I remember it was decorative but it didn't show once it was on the bed and the bed was made up. I plan to only use this as a bed spread and it will only fit this bed in my house. Sorry you don't agree with me. I definitely don't want to fold it under; if I was using small blocks it wouldn't make any difference but if I folded these it would cut them in half or less. Since on another posting someone even told me I should allow 10 inches for the pillow tuck...I guess she just meant that I would need that much for length. Sorry I misunderstood. I'm going to have plenty of length. Yes, I am out of my main materials but I have bought extra of the finishing materials if I decide to make pillow cases. Maybe I could just do that instead of shams. Thanks for all your help. I do appreciate the input. You all have been doing this a lot longer than I have!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Casi, if you have plenty of length you can do your pillow tuck without adding a wider sashing strip: just be careful how you do the tuck so that your rows match up. The tuck doesn't have to be 10 inches; if you are using 12" blocks, then tuck 6" under the pillow and the blocks should line up nicely. (I can see what I'm talking about in my head but not sure it makes sense when I read it... if it doesn't make sense, let me know!)

Most of all, don't worry about what any of us would do or would like. This is YOUR quilt in YOUR house so make it look any way that pleases you. You've seen the pictures we post so you know we have a wide variety of styles and tastes represented here in the forum. Quilting is equal parts science* and art; for the 50% that's art there are no rules!

Kate

* (The science part = accurate cutting, correct seam allowances, consistent stitch length, needle size that matches your thread. Pretty much everything else is 'art' and open to interpretation, experimentation and style.)

• casi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Kate!

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I agree with Kate again lol!!!!! The good thing about these members is they will give you their honest opinion. THEN you decide what you like and don't like, no one gets offended if you don't do what WE like. That's why fabrics come in so many colors!

And yes Casi my pillow shams end up on the floor lol!!!! We don't have pets but I do sometimes step on them.

I friend of mine always makes her quilts to fold under the pillows and it looks great.

Sue that is beautiful!!!!
    Rosa

• casi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

(If I manage to remember how I posted pictures)Here are pictures of what my pillow area will look like. I just placed the sashing on that 1st picture...my question is, if I just tuck the quilt in under the pillow, what do I do for the part of the pillow that is still showing? Can I put my border around the top too. I'm planning on adding borders the the sides and bottom.
    href="http://s602.photobucket.com/albums/tt101/LeaAnne_photo/?action=view&current=SDC10340.jpg"; target="_blank">{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    This last picture is just barely tucking the quilt so I can see all the square....I'd like it to look like this, but.......
    {{!gwi}}

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

You absolutely can and want to place a border across the top as well as the sides & bottom. And, if you need that little extra up top to accommodate the pillow tuck, then the top & bottom borders can be wider than the sides. (I've recently done this on a quilt when I needed extra in one direction and not the other.)

And everyone is correct! When you ask us what we think, we'll all give our own choice for ourselves if it were our quilt. But the bottom line is that there are no 'quilt police' who will say you are wrong if you do what you want. Please take all suggestions with a grain of salt, and the offering that's offered, then decide for yourself what you really want. The suggestions you receive might not work for this quilt, but may be just right for the next one.

I think you're doing fine, and getting a great result!

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Beautiful - and for what its worth - I agree with everyone else. Continuity of design / blocks and a wider top border to cover the pillows.

Think about a quilted bedspread you would buy ready- made in a store.....it would not have a contrasting piece (sashing) for the pillow tuck.

You are doing a great job. Very pretty fabrics!

• karpet
    12 years ago

The quilt on our bed is bedspread-style, a standard triple irish chain pattern with a narrow solid border followed by a piano-keys border. I tuck it in (when I make the bed!) There is no right or wrong, it is what you like. For me, I'm kind of stuck on symmetry, so, although it sounds silly, it is more important for me that the top of my quilt be the same as the bottom of my quilt then how it lays on the bed! Just my quirk!
    Karlene

• casi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, I've sewn all my rows together...no pillow tuck. I'm working on borders! Question: can the top border be a little different than the bottom and sides? Since it is going across the pillow tops, I'm thinking it will be not as great as what I add onto the sides and bottom????

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Your quilt is gorgeous and it looks like you've done a great job with it. You should be feeling very proud of this!

I don't know what you're planning for a border but I don't think you need to go with anything very detailed. You already have a lot of prints and patterns in the body of the quilt. A solid red strip across the top would be sufficient to cover the rest of the pillows. But if you'll ever want to flip the quilt and put the current bottom edge at the top, then it makes more sense to do them the same. You aren't planning to give this quilt a lot of use right now - I think you said you were going to use it primarily as a bedspread and take it off at night? - but this lovely quilt could last a hundred years or more and you never know how it might get used during that time. I have a couple quilts that are 'directional' but most are made to be used in any direction. Just something to think about.

Kate

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

It is gorgeous Casi!

Karlene I am in the same mode stuck on symmetry! I made an Irish Chain for my sister that wasn't balancing out (she wanted a certain size) and it was driving me nuts.

She is not a quilter and I showed it to her and explained the problem and she told me I WAS nuts lol!!! Didn't bother her one bite.

Rosa

• polardream
    12 years ago

Casi, your quilt is turning out beautifully - you should be proud of your results! I will be anxious to see how you are finishing your borders. Keep up the good work!
    Sue