Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
qotd, how do you fmq embroidery?? (pic)

Posted by toolgranny (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 23:03

I've never quilted embroidered blocks like this redwork I'm just finishing up. I've quilted applique with no problem but now I have to figure out how to quilt over redwork embroidery.

Have any of you done this and what did you do? I worry a meandering through the embroidery will affect the stitching. Or, maybe just meander with invisible thread??

redwork project

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: qotd, how do you fmq embroidery?? (pic)

This is just my opinion, but I don't think I would quilt over the images at all. Can you SITD around them, then maybe echo stitch very close to the outer-most red stitch line? Then just tack the center?

I would save the meander or other FM quilting for the border and sashing.

Kate

o

I have no clue! But I love the redwork! Did you do that??? Very nice :-)

Robbi

o

Good grief, Linda, your redwork makes mine look like preschool drawings and you're worried about quilting it? Ok, now that I have that out of my system, I agree with Kate....echo quilt where you can. Nice work!!!!

SharonG/FL

o

Nice work! I think I would stitch around the frames in each panel. I haven't done much quilting with hand embroidery, but do try not to quilt over it. I think it takes away from it.

beverly

o

That is beautiful Linda!!!! I agree with all above. Since it is a wall hanging I would just SITD in the shashings around the redwork.
I have seen some quilting by adding embellishments to the stars, snowman etc. and it looks great.
BUT I love it the way it is and it will not be washed as much as a quilt will be.
Rosa

o

Beautiful!!
I am with Beverly, I would SID around the frames with invisable thread. I don't believe it would require heavy quilting and the frames would enhance the embroidery.MHO

o

Oh yes!!! What Rosa said!!! Add a few clear or silver metallic seed beads to the stars, to the center of the spirals on the snowman, in the center of the flowers. Just a few tiny beads would sufficiently quilt the panels and add a little sparkle too!

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here