Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Quilt from the birdhouse lotto, plus one more

K8Orlando
9 years ago

I have a couple things to show you. It was a productive week!

UPDATE: Scroll down to a Sept 14 entry to see how the gifting of the mariner's compass quilt turned out!

I won several paper pieced birdhouse blocks in the 2nd quarter special lotto. I didn't use all of them in this quilt because I had to keep it small but I like the way it turned out. Not sure yet what I'm going to do with the rest of them, but you know they'll get used. This is for the covered area outside my front door where I like to display small wallhangings.

I made one block with cats to go with the birdhouses and wrote a poem on it. The quilt and the poem is Blue Cat.

The second quilt finished this week was inspired by the signature quilt I recently made for a wedding. No signatures on this one but I used that 6" block and set them in a different pattern. I added a Mariner's Compass because I'm addicted to them recently. This is a gift quilt for a neighbor friend struggling with cancer. I'm hoping this lets him know we miss his presence at the neighborhood dinners and are thinking of him.

The last picture is of the beaded leather wrap bracelet I made last night. I purchased one - have you seen their ads on facebook? - but decided I could make one in exactly the colors I wanted for less. Starting it was a little tricky, as was getting the length just right, but it turned out to be pretty easy. Boo likes it too, but would prefer to be chewing on the leather parts.

Blue Cat:

Compass Points Home:

Bad Kitty! Step away from the bracelet!

This post was edited by k8orlando on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 15:47

Comments (33)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

(WARNING: corny and possibly identifies me as a Crazy Cat Lady)

BLUE CAT

I've never seen a blue cat nor one of azure hue.
    Some colors are more common and some just grace a few.
    Tuxedo cats and Calicoes are lovely creatures, true,
    But I would dearly love to see a cat of deep, rich blue.

All felines are intriguing, whether free or in a zoo.
    Their voice range is so varied: some roar and some just mew.
    Their eyes and ears are charming, their twitching tails are too.
    And under paws like teddy bears! I laugh each time anew.

Yes, I want to see some Sapphires or cats of aqua hue!
    If you like cats you understand my tonal point of view.
    Marmalades and Tabbies are lovely creatures, true,
    But I would dearly love to see a cat of cobalt blue.

Around the blue cats I've written the names of the neighborhood felines. We have one Frankie Boots and 2 other Frankies, so that one is shown as Frankie ^3 Boots.

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

Those are great. Like the way your wall quilt turned out and how you are using it.. Wish I could do something like that but the house wouldn't allow it. Although I don't have a cat now I am very fond of them and your poem is perfect. The quilt for your neighbor is wonderful. Love the layout and colors work so well with the pattern. TFS

• jackier123
    9 years ago

Dang you have been busy! They are all great!

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Love the quilts, the cat, and especially that bracelet! You still have time to whip up a few of those of all attending the retreat, hmmmm?

Teresa

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Love the poem.
    And the wall hanging is just right for your entry. Good work!
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Teresa - we can do a tutorial at retreat. Can't you just imagine 20 colors of beads rolling off tables, all over the floor!?!

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Kate, I love your cat poem! And the birdhouse/cat quilt is adorable. Are the stripes in the border made of beads? I thought it was striped fabric but in the closeup of the cat block it looks like beads.

I know your neighbor will love the quilt. What a nice thing to do!

The bracelet is very pretty. Maybe you should make Boo one of his/her own. :) I have some Christmas ornaments made of felt that a lady at church used to make for the staff and choir. The cats just love those things; I finally made some little felt pillows just for them so they'd stop chewing up my ornaments.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think Boo took revenge because I spoke badly about him here. He grabbed one end of the bracelet after I took it off and jumped off the dresser. The spiral glass bead I used for the toggle to secure the bracelet shattered when it hit the floor. Now I have to figure out how to attached a different bead WITHOUT taking the whole thing apart.

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Kate, everything is just as sweet as can be. You are so creative and clever. I really like the lap quilt for your neighbor. And your FMQ skills are remarkable. Do you draw your designs first or just free-hand them?

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Free hand. I have to admit I've gotten bolder and better at free motion over the past 6 months. The Juki machine helped a lot, but I think it has as much to do with confidence. Someone (Marsha?) once suggested a glass of wine before starting and although I don't do that I can see the wisdom of it. You can't overthink FM too much. Just let it flow.

I did the vining leaves after watching one session of the Craftsy.com class on Ultimate FM Quilting. I watched it, the instructor broke it down so it was an understandable sequence, and I tried it on a piece of scrap muslin. It worked so I did it on the quilt. I'm sure it will get smoother and better as I use this design more, but I was pretty amazed that the first try worked so well. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty intuitive. If you aren't feeling the rhythm of it, it's time to walk away for a few minutes. My machine was acting up (because I threaded it wrong - duh...) with thread nests and I got very frustrated. The FM quilting really suffered, more because of my frame of mind than because of the thread.

If it's in your budget, I highly recommend the Ultimate FM Quilting class at Craftsy.com by Patsy Thompson! And of course, all the free Leah Day on-line videos too. Watch for the Craftsy 1/2 price sales!

Kate

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Bravo on all your creations .....Well done !!!

V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Great work, Ms Kate! Lovin' all of it...even the poem. :-)

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Kate I admire how industrious you are and how much you accomplish. Love the wall hanging with it's bold colors and the bracelet is really pretty. And the mariner's compass quilt is really pretty as well. TFS.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Wow, that was quite a creativity surge. I love the poem, and the use of neighbor cats names in your entry. Perfect cat/birdhouse combo. Sure hope your neighbor heals. The beautiful quilt will be a comfort.
    LindaB/CA

• Robbi D.
    9 years ago

I was also going to say how much I like your vining leaves in the sashing on the birdhouse wall hanging. I really like the way you choose to hang it, too. I actually like the whole thing :-)

Don't show my daughter that bracelet!! She is getting very crafty lately, and stealing all of my craft supplies. At least she makes me stuff when shes doing it :-)

Robbi

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

these are ALL so cool, Kate!!!!!! You certainly will never be charged with "Idle Hands" !!!!!!

• polardream
    9 years ago

Clever use of the birdhouse blocks - I like it! I like your poem, also. The bracelet is cute, but I have to admit that I am not much of a jewelry person. I love looking at it, just not wearing it.

Sue

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Great job - very creative! It is so nice to see completed projects from the Lotto.
    I'm sure your neighbor quilt will provide much comfort.
    Keep those creative juices flowing!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE: I gave the compass point quilt to my neighbor friend this weekend and it could not have been a more wonderful experience for me. First of all, he was looking better than he has in a while, although he's still losing weight. He was thrilled with the quilt and really appreciated the pattern and the quilting. He says he's cold all the time since he started this round of chemo and he immediately snuggled up in his chair with my gift. I was fighting tears and so was his partner. Then he told me about the quilt collection he used to own! When he was much younger he collected antique quilts, spending thousands of dollars on some of them. He never used any of them and thought of them as fragile beauties, needing his protection. But a fire took his house and his whole collection of quilts and other art. He said he mourned for the things he lost and felt terrible that he had never used those quilts. At that point we were all crying! He realized after he lost them, that the quilters who made them would have wanted them to be used as well as appreciated. I agreed completely and assured him this new quilt wanted to be used too. I even got him to agree to let his dog share it with him.

I don't think I have EVER enjoyed giving a quilt away as much as this one.

Kate

• bee0hio
    9 years ago

What a wonderful story & a wonderful gift! Perfect!

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Really touching Kate!
    We never know, do we, how our efforts affect others.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Oh, wow, Kate! What a great story. Thank you for sharing!

Donna

• bev2009
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing your tender story. You really made his day and vice versa.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

oh goodness......that's just so awesome, Kate...sweet, sweet...... (someone must be cutting onions in here, gee)

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

You made my day...nothing is more pleasing then knowing the thing you give was the right thing to do. Blessings to you both and thank you for sharing.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You know, I was really close to saving this quilt until after Retreat because I don't have other quilts to bring this year for the Railing Show, but then I decided it was more important to give it right away than to save it. I'm so glad I made the choice I did!!!

• redmary
    9 years ago

Kate, you have been a very busy lady! Putting the cats and birdhouses together is inspirational. Your bracelet is beautiful.
    Mary

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Thank you for sharing your story, Kate. I'm glad you followed through with your gut instinct as it proved to be the right thing to do. After we've done something like this a few times, we learn to recognize the signs. Well done!

SharonG/FL

• loisflan
    9 years ago

That's such a beautiful, touching story, Kate. Did you know about his antique quilt collection previously?

My friend to whom I gave the Warm Wishes quilt said she is also often cold and uses the quilt every day. I don't speak to her that often, so it makes me happy to know that my affection for her is demonstrated daily by that quilt.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Oh Kate, that is such a special story...thanks so much for sharing, it brings tears to my eyes.....
    V.

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Tears here too! Thank you for sharing the "gifting".
    LindaB/CA

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

I learned, the sad-way, to never "wait" to give a gift in these situations. Glad you followed your instincts and gave him the quilt. I am sure he finds comfort & treasures your kindness.
    Best wishes to your friend & his partner.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I knew you all would understand! Our quilts aren't always received the way we expected they would be so when the experience turned out even better than I could have hoped, it was a very, very special moment for me. And I've already received a beautiful thank you note from them.