Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

#1 Round Robin - Cross Country Quilters

K8Orlando
13 years ago

Here's the first of the three round-robins and row-robins, starting in 2010. When will they finish? Stay tuned, Quilting Fans, only time will tell!

The Cross Country Quilters, a round robin group, have completed their center blocks and they are beautiful! It's a great variety of styles and colors, certain to challenge and entertain the members of the group. Quilter 1 sends her center to Quilter 2, Quilter 2 sends hers to Quilter 3, etc. By the end of the process, everyone will have added a border to every quilt.

NOTE: No photos will be posted until all quilts are finished and back in the hands of the original quilter.

Ready... set... GO!!!

(posting for Odessa)

Comments (142)

• lola99
    13 years ago

CindyâÂÂs top arrived on Friday. Oh wow, I love the rounds that Gena and Colleen put on it! It is really looking great. I spent quite a bit of time Saturday buying fabric and working on my design. Then yesterday I worked on it some more. This is such a fun round robin.

It is fine with me if we plan to mail in January. I agree it is a busy time of year and besides that, the rounds are getting larger.

It has been rather quiet out there, how is everyone doing?

Lola

• sewhappy42
    13 years ago

I sent Jackie's out about 2 weeks ago and haven't received the next one yet. I know this is a busy time for everyone.
    Cindy when you get the one you have now ready go ahead and send it and then January sounds good to me for the next shipping. Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

Gena

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Forgive me for being a bit scatter-brained here. :( I currently have Sue's center. It's in the final stage & about ready to mail. Is this the one you want mailed in Jan? Or am I maybe a little slow & this one should have gone out by now?? I'm OK w/waiting till Jan either way. I will finish this one today regardless of when it goes out. Just let me know & I'll try to do better about keeping track of who's/what/when/where. (& I thought the HOW would be hardest!!) lol

Cindy

• polardream
    13 years ago

I have Gena's center - received it last week but have not had time to start it with the holiday! I am fine if we mail this round in January.

I am the 4th person on this round - Gena - Colleen & Lola. Is everyone else on the 4th round??

I am doing some drawings to see what I like & hopefully will find some fabrics I like too!
    Sue/polardream

• colleenny
    13 years ago

I just received the block for the 4th round last week from Gena. Colleen

• jackier123
    13 years ago

Cindy, I shipped Lola's to you today.

Jackie

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Gena,

I'm shipping Sue's to you today or tomorrow. One of my little guys has pink-eye & it's cold & rainy. If we have a good enough morning, we'll venture out this afternoon. If not, tomorrow should be better - both health & weather!

Cindy

• jackier123
    13 years ago

Cindy,

Did you receive Lola's center?

Jackie

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Jackie,

Yes, I did receive Lola's center. I was a little disappointed at first that you didn't use the pink polka dots. (I had the perfect purple/red paisley w/an orange striped edge that was going to be a great coordinate!:( ) But, your green aliens are ADORABLE! Well, MOST of them are! Those that you put in the corners...WHOA!! girl those are darn right scary!! UGLY as sin, too! (Did you think this through before going to all that work??? You sure better hope Lola isn't a scaredy-cat like me - I'd be having nightmares sleeping under that quilt! For sure!!)
    But, you have known Lola longer than I have. I'm sure you thought about it first, & decided she'd be fine with those little demons. (My youngest DGS called them demons - lol! - out of the mouths of babes!:)
    You have definitely provided me with a challenge. The big question is --- do I continue with the demon theme you've got going here? or do I try to tone it down a little?? Any suggestions anyone???

~Cindy

• jackier123
    13 years ago

Cindy,

Colleen's center is coming your way.

Jackie

• colleenny
    13 years ago

I am going to start work on Jackie's block. Have no idea what to do with it but I will be thinking about it while I do my errands. Colleen

• jackier123
    13 years ago

Cindy,

Gena's center is coming your way.

Jackie

• lola99
    13 years ago

I still need at least a few more days, maybe one week, to finish Cindy's center then I'll send it on to Sue.

Jackie, if you just sent Gena's to Cindy, that means that both you and Sue do not have quilts to work on right now, is that correct?

How is everyone else doing?

• polardream
    13 years ago

I don't have one right now but I am in Arizona - when you are ready to mail, send me an email first. Happy new year!

• jackier123
    13 years ago

I do not have one right now either. Sue sent me the last 2 close together, so I worked them both up pretty fast. I have just one more to go. That is QuiltPartner's. No hurry, My husband and I are adding a room on to the house that is going to be my quilting/office room. I have plenty of walls to paint. :)

Jackie

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

I have Lola's nearly ready to mail on & Colleen's just arrived in the nick of time! I was headed to my LQS Thurs w/my mom & it came just as I was leaving. :) Perfect timing! The finishing fabric for Lola's was backordered, so that is what held me up. (Who knew that moose on a hunter green/rust plaid background would be popular?!? Maybe because it's winter?) Anyway, Lola, I know you'll be tickled pink when you see how your 'baby' has changed!!

~Cindy

• lola99
    13 years ago

Cindy, I can't imagine what my quilt top must look like with the moose. Literally CAN'T IMAGINE. :)

As for your top, well, my friends and family say the van Gogh haystacks that I added are "interesting" but I like them. I think it adds a sort of artistic flair. I know you said you wanted a modern art quilt, right?

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

I LOVE van Gogh! Hadn't pictured him w/my quilt top tho...hmm...!? Me thinks it will look as good as the moose do on yours! he he:)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You guys are cracking me up! Seriously laughing out loud!

Kate

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Drove to the post office substation on my way home from the grocery - finally felt well enough to go (& no kids!) While there I picked up a packing box for Lola's center. On the way to the PO, realized I had no packing tape/marker. Crap! So I stopped off at the Dollar Store, got tape/marker, sat in the van & got it all ready to go. Reached for the marker...shoot! where's my little post-it with Gena's address??! Pretty sure I remember it well enough, except for the zip - & they can do that in the PO. Or DO I remember it well enough?? It IS a quilt, after all. So, drive all the way back across town to home - where I already had tape & markers, duh! Confirmed the address (I had remembered it right after all, go figure) By now, it's too late to get it into today's outgoing mail. Gr-rrrrr!!!
    Ever feel like maybe you should have just stayed in bed?!
    So, Gena, you may get Lola's center on Mon/Tues anyway -- if my luck changes.
    I was going to sew tonight, but on second thought maybe I'd better just sit on the couch w/a book! Least that way I ward off any possibility of ripping out stitches!!
    Good News!! Tomorrow is a new day!! :) ?

• lola99
    13 years ago

Cindy, I hate days like that! However, I'm glad you are feeling better and able to get out and about.

I finished your top last night and sent it to Sue this morning. I really can't wait to see it after Sue and Jackie add their rounds to it. I wish we all could get together because pictures just do not seem to do justice to these quilts!

Lola

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Lola,

I know what you mean about the pics. And it would be so nice to put a face w/the quilt! My DH always teases me that I'm always packed w/one foot in the van - lol- in other words, I'm always ready to go somewhere! Which is kind of funny, since I love staying home too! So if there ever was a real Cross Country RR meeting - I'd be there w/bells on!!

I'm finishing up Colleen's right now - you should see the cowboy boots & plaid ponies I found! A couple of friends really like it (one said it reminded her of her youth, when she always begged for a pony, 'cuz there are these cute little plaid ponies prancing around the scattered cowboy boots:) ) ---- I sure hope Colleen likes it too!:)

Off for a quick nap before dinner prep - our youngest DD is coming in tonight by train. Woo-hoo!!!! The bad part is we pick her up at 11:45! PM! Groan:(

~Cindy

• colleenny
    13 years ago

I am finishing up on Jackie's block. I hope to mail it by Thursday if I can shovel my way out of the house and get to the Post Office. I cannot wait to see my finished block. With talk of bunny rabbits and ponies and cowboy boots, I am really wondering how it is going to look. Colleen

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Colleen, you DID ask for a zoo themed quilt, didn't you?? I sure hope so...
    I was planning to get it off in the mail today, but DD came in from Chicago late last night & we were up until 3am talking!! It's been a whole year since she's been home! She was thoughtful (??) enough to bring the snow w/her - it's coming down really hard at the moment. We're only supposed to get about 6-8" so if it stops, we'll still get out to the PO.
    I do still have some of the cowboy boots & ponies left --- I could add it to Gena's...Hmm...

~Cindy

• polardream
    13 years ago

Lola,
    Cindy's block arrived in Arizona today. WOW ... not at all how I pictured it. Somehow the van Gogh haystacks and the green squiggly guys really work together. It will, however, take me a while to figure out where to go with this! I think I am up to the challenge & can't wait to get started.

Sue/polardream

• lola99
    13 years ago

Oh this is so much fun. I'm really looking forward to receiving Jackie's quilt. Ever since our first pictures were posted I've been thinking about possibilities for this one, but then it all depends on what has been done so far.

Sue, I'm glad that Cindy's block arrived. I was getting pretty attached to the little green squiggly guys. They were like friends in the sewing room, always there to greet me. I was sorry to see them go. Cindy, I know you think you are not fond of squiggly things, but I'm sure you will learn to love these little guys.

Lola

• colleenny
    13 years ago

Hi Lola, I am not getting to the post office today due to severe back pain. I will try for tomorrow.
    Cindy, Did I do that? Must have a a senior moment. LOL
    Colleen

• lola99
    13 years ago

Colleen,

I hope you didn't hurt your back shoveling all that snow you guys have gotten. Take care of yourself!

• lola99
    13 years ago

Jackie's barn arrived on Friday. Wow, what a challenge to figure out what to add. I've already come up with several ideas and then scrapped them. I have a new idea but it will require some additional fabric, so I'm off to the LQS!

I know we still have another two months or so, but as we get near the end of this round robin, we should start talking about how we want to handle the finale. The first round robin group all waited and opened their quilts on the same day at the same time and then posted pictures. Do you want to do that too?

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Lola, I will need to bone up on posting pics before we get to the end, won't I?? Maybe tomorrow while Owen(3) is sleeping?...
    I know you think I'll learn to love the green squiggly things...you are a very optomistic woman! I'll admit I love green - but squiggle??? Not so sure:) Maybe if they are cute-sy & not realistic looking!
    I'm so excited about the center I'm working on now!! When I first saw Gena's center I loved it!! So bright & cheery! - makes me think of a party quilt:) NOW, with all the neon green polka dots & circle in a square hot pink polka dots - yep, Jackie, you are RIGHT! it really POPS!! So...I'm thinking. What say I make it a real party quilt!!? The LQS I frequent (not real local, it's 45 min away)-- anyway, they had a sale right after the holidays. I was so drawn to this one fabric in the 'food' dept. It's popcorn! Very realistic too! I had no idea at the time what I'd do with it, but bought 4 yds anyway. It has a little touch of yellow (butter, I guess - yum!) I'm a little concerned about the yellow with the neon green & hot pink, but it isn't very much yellow. I'm still mulling this over, but I'll figure it out pretty soon & get busy!!
    Hard to believe we're so close to the end of this journey!! Life is crazy, but working on all your centers has been such a fun time!! You have all made me think hard as to what's best for your center - & have spurred me to a new level of creativity! Some of the fabrics I've used have been a little out of my comfort zone - but then that's part of the challenge.
    Looking forward to seeing all the finished WOAs!! (Works Of Art:)\
    ~Cindy

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Colleen, how is your back?? Better I hope! Back pain is nothing to shrug off (pun intended) Take CARE of yourself & stay off the snowy/icy sidewalks! I hope everyone is staying warm,(cool in your case, Tinyteena:), dry & healthy!

Gena has not been able to post for awhile now - she wants to be sure everyone knows she is OK - did not fall off the earth - just having GW issues. I have her center - last one! OH NO! I'm not ready to give up this fun!! But am anxious to see how my baby has grown:) & hoping against hope that she is not covered in green squiggly things! LOL

No little ones today but I'm on my way to school - the 3rd graders are reading to me today (timed test) Such fun I have!! I love my life!! And quilting, & all of you, & my DH, & crafting, &...

:) Go out & have a wonderful day y'all!!
    Love ya~
    ~Cindy

• colleenny
    13 years ago

Cindy my back is doing okay. I have a problem with 2 disks that get worse when the weather is damp. I am trying not to shovel and letting my daughter do it. It is hard to sit by and let someone else do all the work. i am also having a problem signing on to the garden web. I posted a reply before and it has disappeared. Colleen

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WOW! 125 entries on this thread of messages! 150 is the max for one thread, so as soon as you get to about 140 I'll start another one for you with the photo at the top.

Kate

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Kay, you are a real sweetie! - taking care of us all! :) I had no idea there was a limit to posts, but it makes sense.
    I've been busy working on a center! And having a lot of fun doing it!! How's everyone doing??

• polardream
    13 years ago

I FINALLY figured out what to do with Cindy's block ... those green squiggly lines and Van Gogh haystacks had me thrown for a loop for a while but I'm ready to tackle it now. Made a trip to the fabric store today & am cutting tonight!

• lola99
    13 years ago

It took me a while to plan my round for Jackie's center. Once I had the design finalized I needed more fabric. I now have almost all the fabric I need and I have finished cutting and I've begun sewing.

I really debated whether I should say this or not, but since there are "no rules" I decided to go ahead with this request. I think my round would look much better if I had a small piece of the light gray wood print fabric that Jackie used for the barn. I need a 6x6 square - that's all. I have looked for it in several LQS and on line and I can't find anything like it. Jackie, do you have a little extra? If not, do you know where on-line I can order it? Does anyone else have some? I'd be happy to send a FQ in exchange.

If I don't hear from anyone in the next few days, I'll come up with an alternate plan.

Thanks,
    Lola

• polardream
    13 years ago

I finished Cindy's block this afternoon and will be ready to mail to Jackie tomorrow.
    Sue/polardream

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Lola, I'm sorry I can't help you w/the gray barn fabric. Would if I could. HopefullyJackie still has some (& I don't think asking is a problem at all :) We're flexible for good reason:)

~Cindy

• jackier123
    13 years ago

Lola, send me your mailing address at jgrrobinson@att.net and I will get a piece in the mail to you. I have a piece a little bigger than what you need. If there is any left, just throw it in my package. I save small scraps of such stuff for landscape quilts.

Sue, I am looking forward to Cindy's block. It is the last one for me.

Jackie

• lola99
    13 years ago

Wonderful - thank you so much Jackie. I just send you an email with my address.

How is everyone else doing?

Any thoughts on how we should handle the end of this swap (all open the same day/time, or whenever they arrive, etc.)?

• polardream
    13 years ago

Lola,
    I think everyone still has 1 (or 1-1/2) borders still to add. I know I am sending off my latest round to Jackie today & will be getting my last one from you next. I would like us all to wait until we have our last round finished before we mail them - I know we might have to wait a while, but I think it would be more fun. Then when we all have them, post & open on the same day.

After we open them, do we ALL post our own photos of the finished???

Sue

• jackier123
    13 years ago

Sue,
    I received Cindy's center today.
    Jackie

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

I like the idea of opening them all on the same day & posting pics then.
    Just my 2 cents :)

~Cindy

• lola99
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm still working on Jackie's center. Sorry it's taking me so long. February was a tough month for me as I was away from home more than I was home. I do want you all to know that I'm working on this project every moment that I can and I'll send it on to Sue as soon as possible.

Speaking of Sue, her center arrived this weekend. Wow, you all did such a nice job. While I'm finishing Jackie's I'll be thinking of what I can add to Sue's.

This has been so much fun. I'll be sorry when it is over.

Lola

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    I'm gonna fallow your robin and cant wait to see what you get back. our robin has fallen apart so it will be nice to see some completed robins if you can post them.
    happy quilting
    michelle
    ps it sounds like yours is almost done, is that right?

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Michelle, I'm sorry your robin has fallen apart. This has been SO much fun!

Lola, don't worry about taking long. I don't think you are holding up the rest of the group:)

• polardream
    13 years ago

It's okay Lola - I have so much stuff going on right now that I'm not worried about when Jackie's center arrives. Just take your time & do what ever you need to do.

Sue

• lola99
    13 years ago

Thank you Sue and Cindy. I (obviously) was feeling a little bit stressed out and worried that I was holding everyone up. I'll keep plugging away and get it finished as soon as possible.

Michelle, glad you are watching our robin. Hope you can join our "party" when we all open our tops.

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hi
    I will will be crashing the party that is for sure.
    I remember how excited I was last time were we opened all our boxes the same night.
    Kay in the row robin got her rows back and posted a pick if you want to take a peek.
    michelle

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

STOP! This thread of messages is about to run out so please go to the new posting to add more messages!

You can find it here: #1 Round Robin: CrossCountry FINALE .

Thank you all for a job well done and for providing so much entertainment and inspiration to our quilt forum community!

Kate

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner