Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
#1 Round Robin - Cross Country Quilters

Posted by k8orlando (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 21:59

Here's the first of the three round-robins and row-robins, starting in 2010. When will they finish? Stay tuned, Quilting Fans, only time will tell!

The Cross Country Quilters, a round robin group, have completed their center blocks and they are beautiful! It's a great variety of styles and colors, certain to challenge and entertain the members of the group. Quilter 1 sends her center to Quilter 2, Quilter 2 sends hers to Quilter 3, etc. By the end of the process, everyone will have added a border to every quilt.

NOTE: No photos will be posted until all quilts are finished and back in the hands of the original quilter.

Ready... set... GO!!!

(posting for Odessa)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: #1 Round Robin - Cross Country Quilters

Oh wow...I see I have my work cut out for me here. Hopefully my rounds will live up to the work you guys have done.

Jackie

o

Jackie, I thought your barn quilt block was one of the most innovative I've seen! I can envision a whole series of those with different barns and different traditional quilt blocks displayed on the barns. Really clever!

o

I have to start thinking about what to do with everyone's block. This will be fun. ColleenNY

o

Kate,

A BIG THANK YOU to you for all the work you've put into organizing us. EXCELLENT job on the photo (talk about innovative ideas!) I know we're all anxious to get started on each other's artwork:) Let the fun begin!!!!

o

WOW - This is going to be FUN!!! I can hardly wait - This will be a real challenge - especially when I start thinking of ideas and hope the person before me hasn't used them! Waiting for Tuesday to mail ....
Sue/polardream

o

I can hardly wait to see what everyone does. I can see why I don't join these. I could never be that clever. Interesting blocks. Good sewing. Jayne

o

You can't kid us, Jayne, we've seen your work! But these blocks are clever aren't they? I'm feeling like I have to step up my game for the mixed (Row and Round) robin group that starts in November. I have a block pattern picked out and an idea of what I want to do, but haven't started yet.

o

Speaking of your row on row quilt. I did a fun one called the "12 rows of christmas" that I gave to my sister a few years back. Each symblized the # of the row. Jayne

o

Great centers! I'm really looking forward to working on these quilts.

Kate - thank you so much for the fun, lively, graphics! I saved that picture on my cell phone so I can see it where ever I go.

I'll mail my center tomorrow.

Lola

o

My center will go out tomorrow tomorrow too!
Sue/polardream

o

Mine is going out tomorrow also.

Jackie

o

Sending mine out today. ColleenNY

o

Wow, I'm a little nervous and a whole lot excited. These centers are awesome. I can't wait to get started. This is so much fun the anticipation is a killer. lol

I mailed mine yesterday evening.

o

Had hoped to mail mine yesterday, but - 5 kids all day. Today I only have 3, but one is sick w/strep so we can't go anywhere. Looks like tomorrow ladies, before I can get it to the PO. Sorry I'm the slacker here - hope this isn't a sign of things to come! :(:(

~Cindy

o

Cindy, mine went in the mail to you today.

Jackie

o

How do these round robins work, how do you know what size to make a block, is there a specific theme for the blocks, How do you know who to mail it to????? I saw a movie once several years ago, that each person made a block and mailed it to a single recipient who finished and kept the quilt. Is this similar?

I noticed one of you is called Lola, That's my name too. I was named after my grandmother and have not found anyone with my name. Nice to run across you.

o

Hi blitzyblond Lola,

Odessa organizes this swap and I've attached the link to her original post below. That post has all the details of how this swap works. You can also go to the posts of the first round robin swap last year and see the starting and finished pictures - it was really impressive what those ladies accomplished!

I agree, Lola is sort of an old fashioned name and you don't hear it very often anymore, but I like it. Nice to meet you too.

Lola

Here is a link that might be useful: Round Robin details

o

Sue,
I received your center today. It is really nice. I hope I can do it justice.

Jackie

o

Jackie,

Your center was just delivered - it is more beautiful 'in person' that the pic! WoW! I have had so many ideas floating around in my head every since I saw the pic ---- just hope something 'lands' pretty soon so I can begin.

~Cindy

o

Lola,
Your center arrived today - LOVE the fabrics ... will be visiting my LQS to do some exploring for the additions.
Sue/polardream

o

Colleen, your center arrived today! It was really fun to see your center when this thread started, but it is much better in person. My screen didn't do justice to your colors.

Lola

o

Glad it got there safely Lola. Gena's colors look much brighter in person also. Colleen

o

Cindy, your center made it here today. It is really pretty. Time to go to the fabric store. LOL

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but when is the next mail date for these centers? I'm in no hurry, I just do better if I have a target date, that way I can prioritize my schedule. Thanks

o

Cindy, your center made it here today. It is really pretty. Time to go to the fabric store. LOL

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but when is the next mail date for these centers? I'm in no hurry, I just do better if I have a target date, that way I can prioritize my schedule. This is my first round robin so I wasn't sure how it works from here on out, with the mailings. Thanks

o

I have been working on Sue's center today. I searched my stash and found the perfect piece of fabric! It matches all the colors in her center with the added effect of green aliens! I think they will be the perfect addition to that formal room she is going to use this quilt in. :) Hahaha Too bad I am not allowed to post of picture...I think that most of you would think the aliens fit right in.

Jackie

o

Sewhappy, as far as a target mail date, I think the first group (last year) mailed the first round after 3 weeks, and then it was 4-5 weeks for the rounds after that, depending on people's schedules. I've made quite a lot of progress, so I could be ready to mail by October 12, but I'm not trying to put pressure on anyone. I think we should just stay in communication and let each other know how it is going. Anyone else have any thoughts on the mail date?

Jackie, when I saw Sue's center my first thought was aliens too!

I have a story about Colleen's center. When it arrived, I took it out and put it up on my design wall and went to bed. The next morning, I looked at my design wall and I was shocked to see that right next to Colleen's center was a project that I'm working on and one of the fabrics looked SO good with Colleen's block! I never would have guessed that I had something to use already in my stash if the blocks hadn't been right next to each other on my design wall.

Then I went to one of my LQS to buy the other fabrics that I needed for my round. I found some great complementary colors. As I was checking out, the woman who rang me up was commenting on my colors. I showed her Colleen's center, my fabric and the fabrics that I was purchasing. She was very intrigued by the idea of the round robin. She asked me all about it and then wrote down the web site info. Perhaps we will have someone new joining us the next go-around. It was really fun to share the excitement of the round robin with someone else.

o

Hello ladies,

Just popping in for a moment to say how hapy I am that you are all having such fun with this swap already. It's good to see the spirit of the Round Robin we started last year (...aliens, indeed!...) is alive and well.

I also want to thank Kate (a/k/a the "Techno Twinkie") for setting up the original graphic. I have asked her to do this for each group this year and she has agreed. What a great friend to have, don't you all think so?

My apologies for not being here much of late, but my life has become a bit of a shambles and quilting must take a back seat for a while, but I will be ready with my piece for October's mailing.

Keep enjoying the process, you're all going to do just fine! Have fun with it. As for mailing dates, just keep each other aware of when you may be ready to mail and stick with that. This is a "fluid/flexible" kind of swap, so no pressure.

If anyone has a question, you've got my e-mail addy.

Odessa

o

I have finished with my round on Sue's center. It is not perfect, but then again, I am not a perfect quilter. My husband likes it though. He actually came in to the sewing room and said 'this is nice.' He never even noticed the aliens...

Jackie

o

Sneaky, camouflage aliens are the best kind! LOL

I'm inspired by the round you all have started and got busy on my first row this week. I have 3 blocks done and think I only have 2 left. Won't be sure until I get a row put together and see if I like the size.

Kate

o

Jackie, I am partial to aliens ... I am looking forward to seeing what you did!

I searched high & low to find fabric to go with Lola's center - from Fort Collins (where I live) to Glenwood Springs, CO! FINALLY found fabrics that I think will really set off her center square. DH thinks the lime green polka dots are a little over the top, but what does he know???

Will be working on cutting & stitching this weekend...
Sue/polardream

o

OOHHHH! Sue! I hope you save a few of those polka dots for my center when it comes you way! I LOVE them & know they'll be perfect w/my center! SO excited to think of the wonderful magic you will weave upon my little gem!! ;)

o

Sue, I like polka dots. It sounds like you found the perfect fabric to give my center a little zip. If you have enough to use on Colleen's center, it sounds like it would go really well with the gigantic neon orange snails I'm using.

Lola

o

Okay Cindy, I just finished your 1st round. I was really nervous to even get started, but after I finished I really liked it.
Even thought I can't figure out what has been crawling across it to leave all the green squiggly lines.

o

Yewwwwwwwwwwhhh!! Yuck! Do you not remember that I'm very squeemish around things that crawl?? Except babies, of course! I just hope you find whatever it is before you send my center on to its' next stop! P-leeze do NOT let it crawl into the envie when it makes it's rounds. Just thinking about it makes my skin all itchy!! just like I got when I worked on Jackies', but hey - what's a girl to do when those mice were so darned cute w/the barn?? Just happy they didn't have more babies in the hayloft!!

*should we mark envie 'fumigate before opening'??

~Cindy

o

Just don't let those mice eat holes in my quilt! I am anxious for us to mail these on. Can't wait to see what I can come up with for the next one.

Jackie

o

Everyone is quiet...How is it going?

Jackie

o

I just finished Lola's last night ...those neon green polka dots were just the right thing to set off her center! I am working this week so won't have time to mail until Friday ...

What about everyone else? What is your schedule?
Sue

o

I am finished also. When are we going to mail? Colleen

o

I am finished and can mail at any time.

Jackie

o

I’m done as well.

The people in the first round robin group just mailed on to the next person without waiting to all mail at the same time. Do we want to do it that way, or coordinate our mailing dates?

My preference is to mail as soon as you are finished. I say that because I feel that I could always use a little extra time to think/plan and this last time we had the pictures to start the thinking process, but we will not have that in the future.

Lola

o

Sounds fine to me Lola, Most of us are finished anyway. Colleen

o

Sounds great to me.

Jackie

o

Not done yet -- since I was at Camp I did not want to take it w/me (& spoil some surprises). Besides, I was pretty sure there would be a war as to which would be the dominate fabric, the zebra print or the leopard. Sure didn't want to see bloodshed at camp!! (& I really think the zebra looks best anyway) I should be able to finish yet this week, but am in total agreement that we should mail as soon as we're finished. The comment from Lola about having some extra time to think/plan is a valid one IMHO. Are we to post when we mail?

o

I'm done and ready to mail any time. Gena

o

I also like the idea of mailing when we are done. As long as we keep the communication up here. That way everyone will know when we mail and when we receive so nothing gets lost along the way. Communication is the key to a great round robin and lots of excitement along the way.

Gena

o

Sounds fine to me that we mail when we are done. I will get mine packaged up and mailed by Wednesday. (I will be gone a week at the end of the month - the 30th-Nov.8 so I guess the earlier the better.)

Sue

o

From looking back through the posts, looks like everyone is in agreement to mailing when we are ready. So I'll get mine packaged up and probably mail on Wednesday. I will post when I mail and when I receive the next one. This is so much fun, you girls are the best!!

Now I'm starting to get nervous again waiting for the next round to add to it. I'm always afraid I'll mess up. LOL But I'm also excited to see the next one, can't hardly wait.

Gena

o

Cindy,

I am sending Sue's center out today by FedEx. The USPS does not accept aliens in packages. (Actually I do not have time to get to Post Office and I can send by FedEx from work for free).

Jackie

o

Sue,

I sent Colleen's center to you today. It should arrive Thursday or Friday. Be sure to put on sunglasses when you open it up. The round I added was so bright it could cause some eye damage if precautions are not taken.

Lola

o

Jackie,

I am mailing Lola's center tomorrow. Those neon green polka dots are really the thing to set off her mostly blue & white center. I did save some of them for Cindy's quilt when it comes my way!

Sue

o

Ladies, I'm afraid I'm running a little behind. The barn caved in a little on one side, so until I can get it shored up, I can't add the next round. I think I have some fabric that looks like pegboard - that should work, don't you think?? If I can get it tacked on OK the rest should go quickly. I had already cut out the pieces of zebra print. Now that I think about it, the circles on the pegboard should compliment the zebra stripes pretty well. Maybe the collapse was a good thing after all!:)

Cindy

o

Colleen,
I sent Cindy's masterpiece in progress out this morning, you should get it by the weekend. Be careful when you open it, I double checked for squiggly things and never seen any, but you never know!!

Gena

o

Cindy,
I received Sue's label after shipping the center. I mailed it yesterday. She wants it sent along with her quilt so that we all can sign it.

Jackie

o

Gena -

SQUIGGLY THINGS???????!!!!!!!!

o

WOW Gena, I can't wait. I love squiggly things. Colleen

o

Colleen-

GOOD! - then you keep them!! LOL

o

Lola,
Colleen' center arrived today ... love the orange snails! They are perfect!!! I do think the neon polka dots might go okay with it but am going to search out some other options - I do hate to repeat myself too many times.

Sue/polardream

o

Cindy,
Did you receive Sue's center today?
Jackie

o

Sue, I'm glad you like the snails. I was pretty pleased with them myself. I can't wait to see your neon polka dots. They sound like they could go with every center!

Colleen, have you sent Gena's center to me? I'm just wondering if I should be anxiously awaiting it!

Lola

o

Yes, I did receive Sue's center - how beautiful!! But I'm a little stumped w/what to do next? That green in the aliens is such a weird shade I don't know how I'll ever coordinate w/it. :( Purples are across from greens on the color wheel. What do you think? Since you're familiar w/the center so far, do you think purples would work? We have an LQS about 45 min from here which is like a fabric warehouse - surely I should find something there.

o

Lola, I mailed it Wednesday. thought that I posted that it was sent, but now I can't find it. Colleen

o

Yes Cindy, I think purple would work great with it. See if you can find some purple with UFO's on it. The Aliens need something to get around in.

Jackie

o

Thanks, Colleen. I'll let you know when it arrives - I can't wait. I feel like a kid at Chirstmas!

o

Sue,

I received Lola's center today. I think those neon green polka dots deserve some hot pink ones to go with them. I think if I do circle in a square blocks in the hot pink polka dots it will really set it off.

Jackie

o

Jackie,
Great idea! I can see how hot pink will add to her center. I wish I would have thought of that too!
Sue

o

I have been searching my stash and have found the perfect hot pink polka dot fabric to add to the neon green polka dots on Lola's center. With the light background that she has in her center, these colors with really jump out at you. Talk about popping...

Jackie

o

Gena's center arrived on Saturday and I have been thinking about it ever since. I think I have finally come up with a great idea. Various shades of camouflage!

Wow, Jackie and Sue ... neon green and hot pink polka dots ...I'm somewhat at a loss for words!

o

Lola, don't forget they make pink camo now too! That would really add zip!

o

Great idea Cindy. I'm sure pink camo will be just right next to the army green and desert brown that I had in mind. I may have to mail order these fabrics - I don't think my LQS carries camouflage.

o

Lola,
You know pinks & browns have been really the thing lately - you are right on top of the trends!! When I first read your post, I looked at a few places online. One shop had a really cute pink camo, but it was shiny - like lamenated. Don't know if it would work out OK, but if it's going to be a wall hanging, the sheen would give off a nice glow! Maybe even a type of night light!
Just think, a duoble duty quilt! How cool!!

o

I got Cindy's block yesterday. Have to really think about what goes with green squiggly things. Colleen

o

I know! Colleen --- you could squash those green squiggly things!! Maybe applique a great big shoe...moving in for the kill!!

o

Love that idea. Colleen

o

(Finally!) sent out Jackie's center today - took a little longer than expected, but I shouldn't be surprised. I've never done yo-yos before, & while they look OK now, the first few weren't so great. :( Fortunately with a lot of practice they now look like yo-yos...all 48 of them!! (Had to keep the number even w/all 4 sides) Gena, hope this doesn't make it too hard for you, I know you had definite ideas for your round.
~Cindy

Oh, & if you find you can't work w/that one shade, let me know - I bought a bunch so have extra. Thought it might be fun to put some in everyones' - something we'd all have in common:)

o

I'll be watching my mailbox, our states border each other so it shouldn't take to long to get here. I'm so excited to see it.

Gena

o

Colleen ... I have been struggling with your center. I love what you did, but had a hard time figuring out what to add after Lola's orange snails. I spent some time at the fabric shop this afternoon and found the cutest bunnies that have the same orange as the snails and the pink in your center and snatched it up in a hurry! I decided on the design and will start sewing this weekend. I am anxious to get started!
Sue

o

I'm glad to see you are all having so much fun with this Round! I'm inspired to get mine finished and ready to go although it's not due to ship until next month. Gee, I sure hope someone puts orange snails on mine... don't use up all the snail fabric, OK?

Kate

o

I received Jackie's center yesterday. Cindy you really out did yourself with all the yo-yo's. As soon as my head stops spinning (which may take a while) I'll see what I can figure out to add to them.

Gena

o

Bumping

o

I've ordered my fabric for Jackie's round. I have a couple of ideas, just waiting till the fabric arrives to see which one I'm going to go with.
Although this is challenging I'm having so much fun. I hope everyone else is enjoying themselves as much as I am.

Gena

o

Have just started cutting my fabric. Can't wait to see how my idea turns out. Colleen

o

Good Morning ALL!

Seems like forever since I've spent any time reading GW - been so busy - as is everyone else, I know! But I completely gutted & reorganized my sewing room Sun --- & I think I can now function! It was getting just TOO cluttered. I can't work very long in clutter - it makes me crazy! (I know what you're all thinking..."That explains a LOT" )

Gena,
Glad you like the yo-yos!! My little ones had a lot of fun playing w/them while I was sewing! :( ! I think those little devils (the yo yos, not the children!) were everything from basketballs to frisbees to Barbie hats!! What imaginations!! Can't imagine where they get it...

Off to read a little more then on to preschool pickup! Whoopee!!

~Cindy

o

Hi Everyone,

I finally have all the fabric that I need for this round. The pink shiny camo fits right in with Gena’s center. (Cindy, that was a brilliant suggestion!) I like how this round is coming together, but I still have quite a lot of work left to do before I’m ready to mail.

Lola

o

Just checking in. I have finally finished this round. No hurries on mailing. I don't want to overload Colleen. I have plenty of other things to get done. So when your ready Colleen for this one, just let me know.

Gena

o

I hope to finish up this weekend. I had to go to Chicago for a week and could not take my machine. :(

Jackie

o

I am working on mine Gena, and should be done in a couple of days. I will email you when I am finished. Colleen

o

Colleen that's fine, please don't be in any hurry. I think this round robin is moving along smoothly. I don't work right now, so I've had plenty of time to think and sew lately.

I hope everyone is having a good time with this round robin. I sure am. Although I must admit the suspense is killing me. I can't wait to see my finished quilt. LOL

Gena

o

Jackie,
I finished Colleen's square this weekend & it is ready to mail tomorrow. I struggled a little with the bunnies ... it took some fussy cutting to get it to go well with the orange snails but I think it is fine now!
Will mail tomorrow.
Sue/polardream

o

Go ahead and send it Sue. I am just about finished with Lola's. I struggled at how to get the green aliens into it. I am trying to put a little bit of the aliens into each piece that I work on.

Jackie

o

Jackie,
I'm having problems trying to send you an email, but I wanted to let you know I mailed out your round yesterday then realized there was no label to sign with it. Maybe you can send one to Cindy and we can sign it and get it to Colleen. Sorry for the confusion.

Gena

o

Hi Everyone,

I sent Gena’s top to Sue last week (but I was traveling and unable to post). Sue told me that she received it. And while she was very polite in her email to me, I suspect that she is questioning my artistic abilities (or lack thereof) due to my inclusion of pink, blue, and brown camouflage in Gena’s top!

Lola

o

Since Christmas is in a few weeks, what does everyone think of sending out our blocks in January instead of December? Can't wait to see mine at the end since I started with an Amish theme. Colleen

o

Cindy’s top arrived on Friday. Oh wow, I love the rounds that Gena and Colleen put on it! It is really looking great. I spent quite a bit of time Saturday buying fabric and working on my design. Then yesterday I worked on it some more. This is such a fun round robin.

It is fine with me if we plan to mail in January. I agree it is a busy time of year and besides that, the rounds are getting larger.

It has been rather quiet out there, how is everyone doing?

Lola

o

I sent Jackie's out about 2 weeks ago and haven't received the next one yet. I know this is a busy time for everyone.
Cindy when you get the one you have now ready go ahead and send it and then January sounds good to me for the next shipping. Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

Gena

o

Forgive me for being a bit scatter-brained here. :( I currently have Sue's center. It's in the final stage & about ready to mail. Is this the one you want mailed in Jan? Or am I maybe a little slow & this one should have gone out by now?? I'm OK w/waiting till Jan either way. I will finish this one today regardless of when it goes out. Just let me know & I'll try to do better about keeping track of who's/what/when/where. (& I thought the HOW would be hardest!!) lol

Cindy

o

I have Gena's center - received it last week but have not had time to start it with the holiday! I am fine if we mail this round in January.

I am the 4th person on this round - Gena - Colleen & Lola. Is everyone else on the 4th round??

I am doing some drawings to see what I like & hopefully will find some fabrics I like too!
Sue/polardream

o

I just received the block for the 4th round last week from Gena. Colleen

o

Cindy, I shipped Lola's to you today.

Jackie

o

Gena,

I'm shipping Sue's to you today or tomorrow. One of my little guys has pink-eye & it's cold & rainy. If we have a good enough morning, we'll venture out this afternoon. If not, tomorrow should be better - both health & weather!

Cindy

o

Cindy,

Did you receive Lola's center?

Jackie

o

Jackie,

Yes, I did receive Lola's center. I was a little disappointed at first that you didn't use the pink polka dots. (I had the perfect purple/red paisley w/an orange striped edge that was going to be a great coordinate!:( ) But, your green aliens are ADORABLE! Well, MOST of them are! Those that you put in the corners...WHOA!! girl those are darn right scary!! UGLY as sin, too! (Did you think this through before going to all that work??? You sure better hope Lola isn't a scaredy-cat like me - I'd be having nightmares sleeping under that quilt! For sure!!)
But, you have known Lola longer than I have. I'm sure you thought about it first, & decided she'd be fine with those little demons. (My youngest DGS called them demons - lol! - out of the mouths of babes!:)
You have definitely provided me with a challenge. The big question is --- do I continue with the demon theme you've got going here? or do I try to tone it down a little?? Any suggestions anyone???

~Cindy

o

Cindy,

Colleen's center is coming your way.

Jackie

o

I am going to start work on Jackie's block. Have no idea what to do with it but I will be thinking about it while I do my errands. Colleen

o

Cindy,

Gena's center is coming your way.

Jackie

o

I still need at least a few more days, maybe one week, to finish Cindy's center then I'll send it on to Sue.

Jackie, if you just sent Gena's to Cindy, that means that both you and Sue do not have quilts to work on right now, is that correct?

How is everyone else doing?

o

I don't have one right now but I am in Arizona - when you are ready to mail, send me an email first. Happy new year!

o

I do not have one right now either. Sue sent me the last 2 close together, so I worked them both up pretty fast. I have just one more to go. That is QuiltPartner's. No hurry, My husband and I are adding a room on to the house that is going to be my quilting/office room. I have plenty of walls to paint. :)

Jackie

o

I have Lola's nearly ready to mail on & Colleen's just arrived in the nick of time! I was headed to my LQS Thurs w/my mom & it came just as I was leaving. :) Perfect timing! The finishing fabric for Lola's was backordered, so that is what held me up. (Who knew that moose on a hunter green/rust plaid background would be popular?!? Maybe because it's winter?) Anyway, Lola, I know you'll be tickled pink when you see how your 'baby' has changed!!

~Cindy

o

Cindy, I can't imagine what my quilt top must look like with the moose. Literally CAN'T IMAGINE. :)

As for your top, well, my friends and family say the van Gogh haystacks that I added are "interesting" but I like them. I think it adds a sort of artistic flair. I know you said you wanted a modern art quilt, right?

o

I LOVE van Gogh! Hadn't pictured him w/my quilt top tho...hmm...!? Me thinks it will look as good as the moose do on yours! he he:)

o

You guys are cracking me up! Seriously laughing out loud!

Kate

o

Drove to the post office substation on my way home from the grocery - finally felt well enough to go (& no kids!) While there I picked up a packing box for Lola's center. On the way to the PO, realized I had no packing tape/marker. Crap! So I stopped off at the Dollar Store, got tape/marker, sat in the van & got it all ready to go. Reached for the marker...shoot! where's my little post-it with Gena's address??! Pretty sure I remember it well enough, except for the zip - & they can do that in the PO. Or DO I remember it well enough?? It IS a quilt, after all. So, drive all the way back across town to home - where I already had tape & markers, duh! Confirmed the address (I had remembered it right after all, go figure) By now, it's too late to get it into today's outgoing mail. Gr-rrrrr!!!
Ever feel like maybe you should have just stayed in bed?!
So, Gena, you may get Lola's center on Mon/Tues anyway -- if my luck changes.
I was going to sew tonight, but on second thought maybe I'd better just sit on the couch w/a book! Least that way I ward off any possibility of ripping out stitches!!
Good News!! Tomorrow is a new day!! :) ?

o

Cindy, I hate days like that! However, I'm glad you are feeling better and able to get out and about.

I finished your top last night and sent it to Sue this morning. I really can't wait to see it after Sue and Jackie add their rounds to it. I wish we all could get together because pictures just do not seem to do justice to these quilts!

Lola

o

Lola,

I know what you mean about the pics. And it would be so nice to put a face w/the quilt! My DH always teases me that I'm always packed w/one foot in the van - lol- in other words, I'm always ready to go somewhere! Which is kind of funny, since I love staying home too! So if there ever was a real Cross Country RR meeting - I'd be there w/bells on!!

I'm finishing up Colleen's right now - you should see the cowboy boots & plaid ponies I found! A couple of friends really like it (one said it reminded her of her youth, when she always begged for a pony, 'cuz there are these cute little plaid ponies prancing around the scattered cowboy boots:) ) ---- I sure hope Colleen likes it too!:)

Off for a quick nap before dinner prep - our youngest DD is coming in tonight by train. Woo-hoo!!!! The bad part is we pick her up at 11:45! PM! Groan:(

~Cindy

o

I am finishing up on Jackie's block. I hope to mail it by Thursday if I can shovel my way out of the house and get to the Post Office. I cannot wait to see my finished block. With talk of bunny rabbits and ponies and cowboy boots, I am really wondering how it is going to look. Colleen

o

Colleen, you DID ask for a zoo themed quilt, didn't you?? I sure hope so...
I was planning to get it off in the mail today, but DD came in from Chicago late last night & we were up until 3am talking!! It's been a whole year since she's been home! She was thoughtful (??) enough to bring the snow w/her - it's coming down really hard at the moment. We're only supposed to get about 6-8" so if it stops, we'll still get out to the PO.
I do still have some of the cowboy boots & ponies left --- I could add it to Gena's...Hmm...

~Cindy

o

Lola,
Cindy's block arrived in Arizona today. WOW ... not at all how I pictured it. Somehow the van Gogh haystacks and the green squiggly guys really work together. It will, however, take me a while to figure out where to go with this! I think I am up to the challenge & can't wait to get started.

Sue/polardream

o

Oh this is so much fun. I'm really looking forward to receiving Jackie's quilt. Ever since our first pictures were posted I've been thinking about possibilities for this one, but then it all depends on what has been done so far.

Sue, I'm glad that Cindy's block arrived. I was getting pretty attached to the little green squiggly guys. They were like friends in the sewing room, always there to greet me. I was sorry to see them go. Cindy, I know you think you are not fond of squiggly things, but I'm sure you will learn to love these little guys.

Lola

o

Hi Lola, I am not getting to the post office today due to severe back pain. I will try for tomorrow.
Cindy, Did I do that? Must have a a senior moment. LOL
Colleen

o

Colleen,

I hope you didn't hurt your back shoveling all that snow you guys have gotten. Take care of yourself!

o

Jackie's barn arrived on Friday. Wow, what a challenge to figure out what to add. I've already come up with several ideas and then scrapped them. I have a new idea but it will require some additional fabric, so I'm off to the LQS!

I know we still have another two months or so, but as we get near the end of this round robin, we should start talking about how we want to handle the finale. The first round robin group all waited and opened their quilts on the same day at the same time and then posted pictures. Do you want to do that too?

o

Lola, I will need to bone up on posting pics before we get to the end, won't I?? Maybe tomorrow while Owen(3) is sleeping?...
I know you think I'll learn to love the green squiggly things...you are a very optomistic woman! I'll admit I love green - but squiggle??? Not so sure:) Maybe if they are cute-sy & not realistic looking!
I'm so excited about the center I'm working on now!! When I first saw Gena's center I loved it!! So bright & cheery! - makes me think of a party quilt:) NOW, with all the neon green polka dots & circle in a square hot pink polka dots - yep, Jackie, you are RIGHT! it really POPS!! So...I'm thinking. What say I make it a real party quilt!!? The LQS I frequent (not real local, it's 45 min away)-- anyway, they had a sale right after the holidays. I was so drawn to this one fabric in the 'food' dept. It's popcorn! Very realistic too! I had no idea at the time what I'd do with it, but bought 4 yds anyway. It has a little touch of yellow (butter, I guess - yum!) I'm a little concerned about the yellow with the neon green & hot pink, but it isn't very much yellow. I'm still mulling this over, but I'll figure it out pretty soon & get busy!!
Hard to believe we're so close to the end of this journey!! Life is crazy, but working on all your centers has been such a fun time!! You have all made me think hard as to what's best for your center - & have spurred me to a new level of creativity! Some of the fabrics I've used have been a little out of my comfort zone - but then that's part of the challenge.
Looking forward to seeing all the finished WOAs!! (Works Of Art:)\
~Cindy

o

Colleen, how is your back?? Better I hope! Back pain is nothing to shrug off (pun intended) Take CARE of yourself & stay off the snowy/icy sidewalks! I hope everyone is staying warm,(cool in your case, Tinyteena:), dry & healthy!

Gena has not been able to post for awhile now - she wants to be sure everyone knows she is OK - did not fall off the earth - just having GW issues. I have her center - last one! OH NO! I'm not ready to give up this fun!! But am anxious to see how my baby has grown:) & hoping against hope that she is not covered in green squiggly things! LOL

No little ones today but I'm on my way to school - the 3rd graders are reading to me today (timed test) Such fun I have!! I love my life!! And quilting, & all of you, & my DH, & crafting, &...

:) Go out & have a wonderful day y'all!!
Love ya~
~Cindy

o

Cindy my back is doing okay. I have a problem with 2 disks that get worse when the weather is damp. I am trying not to shovel and letting my daughter do it. It is hard to sit by and let someone else do all the work. i am also having a problem signing on to the garden web. I posted a reply before and it has disappeared. Colleen

o

WOW! 125 entries on this thread of messages! 150 is the max for one thread, so as soon as you get to about 140 I'll start another one for you with the photo at the top.

Kate

o

Kay, you are a real sweetie! - taking care of us all! :) I had no idea there was a limit to posts, but it makes sense.
I've been busy working on a center! And having a lot of fun doing it!! How's everyone doing??

o

I FINALLY figured out what to do with Cindy's block ... those green squiggly lines and Van Gogh haystacks had me thrown for a loop for a while but I'm ready to tackle it now. Made a trip to the fabric store today & am cutting tonight!

o

It took me a while to plan my round for Jackie's center. Once I had the design finalized I needed more fabric. I now have almost all the fabric I need and I have finished cutting and I've begun sewing.

I really debated whether I should say this or not, but since there are "no rules" I decided to go ahead with this request. I think my round would look much better if I had a small piece of the light gray wood print fabric that Jackie used for the barn. I need a 6x6 square - that's all. I have looked for it in several LQS and on line and I can't find anything like it. Jackie, do you have a little extra? If not, do you know where on-line I can order it? Does anyone else have some? I'd be happy to send a FQ in exchange.

If I don't hear from anyone in the next few days, I'll come up with an alternate plan.

Thanks,
Lola

o

I finished Cindy's block this afternoon and will be ready to mail to Jackie tomorrow.
Sue/polardream

o

Lola, I'm sorry I can't help you w/the gray barn fabric. Would if I could. HopefullyJackie still has some (& I don't think asking is a problem at all :) We're flexible for good reason:)

~Cindy

o

Lola, send me your mailing address at jgrrobinson@att.net and I will get a piece in the mail to you. I have a piece a little bigger than what you need. If there is any left, just throw it in my package. I save small scraps of such stuff for landscape quilts.

Sue, I am looking forward to Cindy's block. It is the last one for me.

Jackie

o

Wonderful - thank you so much Jackie. I just send you an email with my address.

How is everyone else doing?

Any thoughts on how we should handle the end of this swap (all open the same day/time, or whenever they arrive, etc.)?

o

Lola,
I think everyone still has 1 (or 1-1/2) borders still to add. I know I am sending off my latest round to Jackie today & will be getting my last one from you next. I would like us all to wait until we have our last round finished before we mail them - I know we might have to wait a while, but I think it would be more fun. Then when we all have them, post & open on the same day.

After we open them, do we ALL post our own photos of the finished???

Sue

o

Sue,
I received Cindy's center today.
Jackie

o

I like the idea of opening them all on the same day & posting pics then.
Just my 2 cents :)

~Cindy

o

Hi Everyone,

I'm still working on Jackie's center. Sorry it's taking me so long. February was a tough month for me as I was away from home more than I was home. I do want you all to know that I'm working on this project every moment that I can and I'll send it on to Sue as soon as possible.

Speaking of Sue, her center arrived this weekend. Wow, you all did such a nice job. While I'm finishing Jackie's I'll be thinking of what I can add to Sue's.

This has been so much fun. I'll be sorry when it is over.

Lola

o

hello
I'm gonna fallow your robin and cant wait to see what you get back. our robin has fallen apart so it will be nice to see some completed robins if you can post them.
happy quilting
michelle
ps it sounds like yours is almost done, is that right?

o

Michelle, I'm sorry your robin has fallen apart. This has been SO much fun!

Lola, don't worry about taking long. I don't think you are holding up the rest of the group:)

o

It's okay Lola - I have so much stuff going on right now that I'm not worried about when Jackie's center arrives. Just take your time & do what ever you need to do.

Sue

o

Thank you Sue and Cindy. I (obviously) was feeling a little bit stressed out and worried that I was holding everyone up. I'll keep plugging away and get it finished as soon as possible.

Michelle, glad you are watching our robin. Hope you can join our "party" when we all open our tops.

o

hi
I will will be crashing the party that is for sure.
I remember how excited I was last time were we opened all our boxes the same night.
Kay in the row robin got her rows back and posted a pick if you want to take a peek.
michelle

o

STOP! This thread of messages is about to run out so please go to the new posting to add more messages!

You can find it here: #1 Round Robin: CrossCountry FINALE .

Thank you all for a job well done and for providing so much entertainment and inspiration to our quilt forum community!

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here