Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Tension problems with covered clothesline

jennifer_in_va
12 years ago

I'm making a Bali Bag with covered clothesline. Has anyone ever done one of these?

After a few years getting the 150' of clothesline covered, I'm ready to sew it into a basket/bag. I am having HUGE problems with tension.

I have tried two different sized needles 100/16 & 90/16. I've tried two different threads; cotton now on top & in the bobbin. Oh, and I'm on my second sewing machine, too! (when one doesn't work, try another!)

I can get the tension to be balanced when I do a test on fabric alone. On the clothesline, I can run one direction with perfect tension top & bottom, but I can turn and come back another direction and the bottom tension is all messed up. Since back & forth seemed to be a problem, I tried going in a circle. It'll look nice for a 4-5" then go sour.

I'm not sure what else to try. I've watched a video online, and that machine runs from start to finish without issues. So, I really need to figure out the tension, then it should run without a problem. Right? You think?

So what can I do? I've tried tension low #s, and high #s. I'm not sure what else to do now. Any thoughts?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths