Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lola99_gw

build your own/inexpensive quilting frames

lola99
11 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with inexpensive quilting frames? Today I went to my LQS (to buy fabric for the October Lotto) and I saw a Flynn quilting frame. It is plastic bars that you roll your quilt on and then quilt it on your home machine, but it looks more like a long arm set up. I'm not describing it well. Here is the link to the Flynn system. My LQS has it for $150. This is different from long arm quilting, because you are moving the quilt, not the machine. So as I was researching this on the internet, I stumbled across this other site Machine Quilting solutions I watched all of this guy's videos and he has a pretty neat system. He sells you all of the parts for about $175 and you essentially build your own long-arm tracks. This system allows you to move the machine, but you are moving it from a bar below the machine.

Then I came across this site built your own machine quilting frame. In this system you are moving the machine using handles above, rather than a bar below, which I thought looked less awkward.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had tried one of these systems, or knew anyone who had and if they worked at all. The price is so inexpensive, I'm wondering if this is a case of "you get what you pay for" or if building a quilting system is a great way to go.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Lola

Comments (15)

• grammyp
    11 years ago

Oh, from what I see, I like the second one much better. I agree, control from the top seems much less awkward. It would be nice to actually see and use them. Is there a LQS or sewing center you can try others and see what you like in them before you decide?

beverly

• msmeow
    11 years ago

My first frame was a HandiQuilter and the carriage had the handles on the bottom of the carriage (so they were below the quilt). I am short and found it very easy to use. Now I have a Hinterberg frame and the handles are at the top of the machine. It's still easy to use but I have to keep my arms up much higher.

I think if you have the know-how to build your own either one of the kits with the hardware and stuff would be great.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I've thought about doing this but haven't done it and haven't tried one. I'll be interested to see what you think of it if you do it!!!

Kate

• lola99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your comments/thoughts. I thought if I was serious about the Flynn system, I might ask my LQS if I could borrow the one they have on display and take it home one night, try it out and bring it back the next day. They know me there and they can always say no. But the more that I think of it, I'm more inclined towards one of the build it yourself frames.

I have not ever quilted on a frame, so trying to decide if I would like to control it from the top or bottom is such a theoretical question. The top seems easier, but Donna, your comments about not having to keep your arms up all the time make a lot of sense. And several blogs that I read about long arm quilters seem like they are talking about their aching backs - I wonder if that is due to working for hours with their arms up...

Anyway, thanks for chatting with me about this. I'll be sure to let you know if I do it!

Lola

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Lola, quilting on a frame is a learning experience and requires patience! Though I would say whichever style you go with you will learn that way and it will seem fine.

I would guess a lot of the backache problems are from the frame not being the right height. Like I said, I'm short but my frame is low enough and narrow enough (I only have a 9" machine) that I don't have much trouble leaning over it.

Donna

• rebeccarochelle22
    9 years ago

A friend got the flynn forn Christmas and it is great! I highly recommend it

• sheri21668
    6 years ago

I have the John Flynn quilting frame and like it a lot but it is awkward and requires a lot of maneuvering to make it all work but if you have nothing or little else this is better than nothing or fighting with no frame and free motion quilting. I am currently trying to build Richard's frame from his kit for $281.69 as I think from all of the research I have completed that is the best way to go as I have very little income due to being on disability with MS and Systemic Lupus. After I get it built I will let you know how it all goes and if it all does I plan on adding the red snappers to my frames to make all of it easier to use.

• sheri21668
    6 years ago

Again, I do like my Flynn Frame and for small quilts it works very well and I will let you all know how Richard's plans and or kit work out for me ASAP as I get it all together and ordered and built. I am very excited about building a frame.

• bkay2000
    6 years ago

If you can, please take photos as you go and make comments, so that we know how it goes as it is going on. That sometimes tell the best stories.

bkay

• sheri21668
    6 years ago

I received Richard's plans in the mail a couple of days ago and everything looks really good and if you don't have the equipment to do the more involved woodworking items he has the kit for $281.69 plus about a $100 at the local hardware store.

• sheri21668
    6 years ago

Sure I would be happy to.

• sheri21668
    6 years ago

I've got all of the supplies purchased with the exception of the angle iron and am just currently waiting for the kit to arrive.

• sheri21668
    6 years ago

At my father's suggestion we used the metal electrical conduit in place of the plastic. As it happened I had already purchased the plastic or PVC electrical conduit and therefore decided to keep and use both sets as poles for both frames as the metal conduit will work with John Flynn system and I purchased the 10 foot poles.

• bkay2000
    6 years ago

Please keep us updated. I would love to see photos of the progress. Then, I want to know how hard it is to use.

Thanks for the update.

bkay