Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Some accomplishments from Retreat

jennifer_in_va
10 years ago

here are some of the quilts I worked on at camp...

This first started out as a jelly roll. I'd had a braid template for years and had never used it. So I got going on this one late Saturday... I used leftover braid pieces to create the border. I've since bought a marble orange for the inner border and will use a solid turquoise for the binding.

There was a great deal of joking about how I don't "DO" scrappy! This was way out of my comfort zone, and hard for me to just grab a piece and sew, without first trying to adjust color placement. That's why I added the planned border...had to organize the colors somewhere! lol

I think it'll be a baby quilt for my first grandson due in January.

Comments (22)

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also completed this Jinny Beyer quilt kit. I just love her kits! I call them "quilt by number" because she tells you where all the colors go.

I may have gotten a few others 'hooked' on kits!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This isn't a great picture, but I finished the top on this one. It was a UFO from a friend...a stack & slash technique she didn't want to finish.

I finished creating 5 or 6 blocks, then pieced together with the sashing. I think I've decided to quilt as is and add a black binding to be done.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This was another jelly roll with a layer cake of the same fabrics. I adapted a pattern that I'd seen in a catalog. I had this fabulous paisley print I'd never wanted to cut up, but it matched the jelly roll fabric so well I couldn't resist.

I need to find a nice turquoise batik for an inner flange, then a small black border and a 3" paisley border should do it up well. (Or maybe it was the paisley border with a turquoise flange and black binding...I can't remember)

I really like how this turned out. I think this was the Friday night all-nighter with Bev project. It's finished except for the borders...

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Overwhelmed! I think I might have finished that many in 2 years! (not quilted yet of course!)

They're all intriguing, but my favorite is the braid. Never saw one so colorful and I like it.

LindaB/CA

• day2day
    10 years ago

You accomplished quite a lot. I'm with LindaB....it would take me a long time to get that much done.
    Nice quilts too. My fave is the braid...it's so vibrant!
    The colors sparkle.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Those turned out wonderful, Jennifer!

We'll make a scrappy quilter out of you yet! LOL!

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Jen is an inspiration and a wonder! She quilts like mad but at the same time she talks, laughs, tells stories, keeps us organized ("dinner at 6:30"), entertains ("let's play a game"), lends a helping eye ("what if you move that block there?") and even poses interesting questions ("what defines a quilt, exactly?"). On top of all that, she sews sews sews and finishes more quilt projects than seems humanly possible.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

We are so proud of Jen. She stepped out of her comfort zone and not only did scrappy, but RANDOM placement. Once we finish converting her, we will work on Kate and Sun Bonnet Sue.

beverly

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

"Once we finish converting her, we will work on Kate and Sun Bonnet Sue."

I have this to say about that:

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

LOL!!!!

Love the all Jennifer! I agree, you are amazing, it would take me forever to get the tops done that you can complete in no time.

Looking forward to seeing the pic of the baby boy on the quilt!
    Rosa

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Jen has the stamina of 10! All of her tops look great, and I especially like the scrappy...although the first one finished was awesome, and of course Jinny's kit.

I order my first kit from Jinny yesterday and hope to show it at retreat next year. Yep...Jen convinced me it's worth a try.

As for Kate and SunBonnetSue (SBS) ever being friends...that she was in the same picture as SBS quilt was a feat in itself...not sure that will go much farther.

• polardream
    10 years ago

Beautiful quilts, Jen! I can't decide which I like the best, but the one that used a jelly roll and layer cake is wonderful! I also like the braid one - and like the scrappy look!
    You rock, girl!

Sue

• bozogardener
    10 years ago

Hard to pick a favorite...love them all!

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Wow, Jennifer, those are wonderful quilts! My favorite is the last one with the paisley. I love the colors. You certainly can accomplish a lot in a short time. You are amazing.

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

WOW! Amazing accomplishments Jennifer! My favorite is also the braid. And btw, I am with Kate on the SBS......she gives me the creeps! Actually, any of those faceless designs does that to me.

Maryv

• lola99
    10 years ago

ooh, I like them all. My favorite is probably the paisley, but it's a hard choice.

I'm in agreement with the others - it's amazing how much you get done!

Thanks for sharing your pictures. They are inspiring.

• fran1523
    10 years ago

Amazing quilts all and your output continues to amaze me. I lov the braid too.

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

Wow! They all look great. But I especially like the 'scrappy' braid ;)

Faye

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Nice work, Jennifer! I particularly like your braid...it looks just like the braided rugs my mom used to make.

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I've actually made it back into my sewing room before January!!

The braid now has an orange inner border, and the outer border is attached. It's getting a yellow flannel backing and a solid turquoise binding. It waits to be quilted.

The Jinny Beyer one waits for backing fabric.

The Stack & Slash has gotten a black border, and waits for backing fabric.

With the Paisley, I'd forgotten the plan that Beverly & I had decided on, and ended up adding the paisley border without any accent color (the narrow turquoise in the picture above). We'd then talked about a black binding with a turquoise flange. I went with this idea, but prepared it wrong. If it goes on as-is, then it'll be a turquoise binding with a black flange. It's ready, but I don't know if I'll fix this binding goof before application. The top waits on backing fabric.

Feels good to have some ready to quilt...I tend to work in groups like this since I have to clear off the quilting frame (think of the unused treadmill in your bedroom) and have to clear my room a bit. Now just to get backing fabrics!

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Good going, Jen. The paisley fabric will look just great for the border.

I like to work in groups, too. Sort of like chain piecing on a larger scale.

beverly

• redmary
    10 years ago

RANDOM work is really unthinkable....LOL....I love your braid---it looks so planned--not random at all. Your Beyer is beautiful--love the modern ones!