Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Round Robin 2009 Begins!

solstice98
14 years ago

Our Round Robin leader Odessa asked me to post pictures of all the centers, so here they are! The arrows show the order of rotation. We may post shots throughout the next five months that show some progress, but they'll only be hints, not complete images of the new borders. We don't want to spoil the surprises!!!

Kate

{{gwi:2055746}}

Comments (142)

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, Kate, it sounds truly spectacular! I'm sure Marie will be excited to see it! Keep up the good work!

Odessa

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aloha HEY!

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Well, Kate, the paint is dry. Now, for the glitter ... I wasn't going to do it, but my daughter was singing some of her recital music last night, and the song "Glitter and Be Gay" was one of them. So, of course, I just HAD to do it.

But first, I need to go find some camouflage-colored glitter. Do you think the local Army-Navy supply store will have some????

Odessa

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Okay, girls, I must admit to cheating a little: I opened the box. You should recall that Marie sent me Michelle and Vicky's centers in one box. And I said that I was NOT going to open the box until I had Kate's center done.

but the box was calling my name so loudly today that I simply HAD to open it, if for no other reason than to get the darn thing to SHUT UP!!!

I have to tell you, I am thrilled with what I saw in there. My brain is thinking about what to do with Michelle's, and I am getting ideas galore. The problem is which ones are the best ideas?

Vicky, I am hopeful that you and your son are going to love your quilt as much as we have al enjoyed working on it. I originally selected something from my stash that I thought would work on it, and I was right. Now, just HOW to use them?????

I must finish gluing the camouflage glitter onto the howitzers of Kate's center. It was REALLY DIFFICULT to find it, Kate, so I am very hopeful that you will appreciate what I went through to find it.

If I don't get an opportunity to tell you all, this Round Robin has really been so very much fun to work on with the four of you. I have "met" some wonderful people who, no matter their skill level, I will consider friends for as long as I live. You are all just wonderful to take on this journey with me and I really appreciate your willingness to do this. It's been glorious so far, and I hope we keep in touch.

Odessa

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"...camouflage glitter..."

This is such a great concept!

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marie,
    I'm a little worried because I haven't heard that you received Odessa's center. Is it there? I'm afraid all the bad winter weather we've had across the country has delayed shipping, but it should have arrived a couple weeks ago.

I haven't done much on yours yet. I keep changing my mind on the fabric. I made up sample portions of the border in each of the 3 favorite fabrics and liked them all! Decisions, decisions...

Kate

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    I can't wait to see how mine looks, I have a stack of batics(sp?) ready for kate's, I'll decied one the ones I want when it gets here.
    I'm packing most of my crafts but will leave out my sewing stuff till it is time to move(hopfully before May)
    I got a new machine, it is a Janome, has lots of fancy computerized stuff I still need to learn how to use, but did a few of the birthday blocks on it and all went well.
    my oldest son Timmy thought since I had a new I didn't need the old one and used it to mash goldfish crackers with the feed-dog and needle. I'm dreading going to the shop and explain why I need cracker crums cleaned out of it.
    I have also sorted and organized my fabric, if it is going to stay ut when we show the house it needs to be neater.
    well I'm off to take a bath, was on my hands and knees scrubbing the wood floors today and feel kinds dirty, and a little sore.
    see ya
    michelle

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Does everyone now have (or almost have) the last quilt? Should we shoot for getting them finished by the end of February or is that rushing it? I don't want to pressure anyone so if that doesn't work just say so; I was thinking it's good to have a goal date to help us stay focused. I haven't started on Marie's yet but I'm "fixin' ta". I'm getting really excited about seeing all the finished products!!!

Kate

• vicky4x4
    14 years ago

I do not have a block and haven't for a long time. I will have two more coming my way so I don't know if I can get both done by then or not.

Vicky

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm sorry, Vicky. I didn't realize you didn't have any to work on. Never mind my goal suggestion! Like I said, I don't want there to be any pressure. My enthusiasm got the better of me again.

Kate

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Kate, you are just always pushing me to be better! I've got your center (and am completing it, really I am!), and Marie sent Michelle and Vicky's to me in one box. I've taken a look at them and am formulating a plan as I continue the complete yours. I am hoping to send to Vicky early next week. Then will work on Michelle's and finally, Vicky's.

I try to put in some time every day with my quilting, but it's been a little tricky lately; this is competition season for musicians and we're getting into the thick of it. Last Sunday, my middle daughter performed her Senior Voice Recital @ Saginaw Valley State University where she has been studying voice for the past 4 years. She won't graduate until May of 2011, but wanted to get the recital out of the way now. It was just glorious, but between church and the recital, then a reception afterwards, there went my entire day. Next we have district vocal solo & ensemble for the youngest daughter a week from this Saturday, then band solo & ensemble shortly thereafter. Musical is the end of March, and the fun continues until graduation in May. So I'm squeezing in the quilting and trying to simplify my design work. You ladies will have to let me know if I am successful.

I think it would be great to shoot for St. Patrick's Day for mailing out the centers to their initial owners. I think that will motivate all of us, but we don't want to stress anyone, like Kate said.

Well, gotta get that binding on the minister's quilt. (See, my work is NEVER done!).

Odessa

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Let's not set a goal date until everyone has the last quilt. Once that happens we can look at it again and maybe give ourselves a month to do the last border. The last one is the largest and so it may take longer than the earlier borders did. I don't want anyone to feel rushed.

Kate

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Perfect solution, Kate. Have I told you recently how much I appreciate you keeping us all going here? And how helpful you have been to this exchange? You're tops in my book, kiddo! (now, where did I put those flourescent dyes for her quilt????....... looking ........... looking..........)

Odessa

• wynative
    14 years ago

Hi ladies!

Yes, I have been MIA for a bit - all work and no play :( I have recieved Odessa's center - ABSOLUTLY STUNNING!!! It is the last one I have to finish and I have no idea where to start! The middle of March sound good or later :) I know that Odessa has a couple to work on & I am just thinking of her time factor - OKAY and it will help me also lol

Kate - I love your little song!! I grew up at the foot of the Rockies, have a sister named Dixie - 'insert drum roll here' - ...... My daughter & I get to go to HAWAII for six blissful days in April!!! I am hoping to pick up some 'hawaii' type fabrics, that way I will have some to compliment what you are doing. hehehehe

Marie

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Marie! So good to see you're surviving the winter. I was worried you had nothing to do and had forgotten about us! I'm excited to hear that you like my center. I am getting excited to see it soon. But you take your time and enjoy working on it.

And congrats on the opportunity to go to Hawaii! Enjoy it! Pick out some great fabrics for yourself to work with. Are you going to learn to do a typical Hawaiian piece? It would be cool to do a small (16") piece to remind yourself of your trip always. I'm really happy for you.

Odessa

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Well, here we go!!!!!!

Tomorrow (or today ... whatever!) is President's Day, so no mail service, BUT I will be putting Kate's center in the box to mail off to Vicky on Tuesday! Now, Vicky, I know that you are worried about having gotten a little rusty since it's been a LONG TIME since I've sent you a center, but getting everything "just right" on this one was paramount for me, especially once I started marking up my border .... all those glittered and embroidered Howitzers took way more time than I had anticipated. I'm really sorry that I held up production for so long, ladies.

However, I hope that you all feel it was truly worth the wait.

At any rate, once it's on its way, I'll be starting on Michelle's, which I have a clear idea what I want to do with. And then we can get on with completing this Round Robin. I can't wait to see everyone's finished products!

Thanks, everyone, for being so patient with my slowness.

Odessa

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've been working on Marie's border this weekend. Sewing and watching the Olympics --- it doesn't get much better than that!

Kate

• salijo
    14 years ago

How many rounds are left? I'm anxious to see photos!
    Salijo

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

All of us are on either the last round or the next to the last. But there won't be photos until they are all done. We are going to ship the tops off to their owners on the same day, hoping they all arrive at the same time. Then the owner can post a picture.

As we get to the outer borders, it takes more time and more fabric so the process goes slower. Plus you need to come up with a design that works with everything that's already been added. I'm sure we are all getting eager to see our quilts!

Thanks for following our story!

Kate

• vicky4x4
    14 years ago

I have Kate's center and I'm really thinking on it........ by the way Odessa you are NOT an easy act to follow I didn't even know what a Howitzer was until now....

Vic

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

" ... Odessa you are NOT an easy act to follow I didn't even know what a Howitzer was until now....

Vic"

Yeah, I know, I'm just a pain......but aren't those Howitzer's a hoot??? I'm sure the glittered painting will stand out, but I'm sure you can come up with your own take on what needs to go next.

I'm trying to locate just the "right" fabric for Michelle's center, but having a little trouble. Am diligently searching for something with just the "right" sense of decorum ... saw some Mad Hatter/March Hare-type fabric over the weekend, but honestly, the colors were just too NORMAL for this quilt. It needed something a little funkier, so I passed.

Snowing today, so instead of working I want to be home sewing. But alas, I need to get more done for the Bossman, so I shall update you all again soon.

Onward and Upward!

Odessa

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

maybe some florecent polka dots
    HE HE

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I agree, Michelle! We need more polka dots!

And anything 'glow in the dark' would be perfect, too.

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Actually, Kate, I wish you'd told me that about the "glow in the dark" before ... I could have had it finished a LOT sooner! I bought some glow in the dark thread for DGS's fish quilt, thinking it will be cool on an undersea-type picture. I can just imagine stitching with that GITD thread around the howitzers ... what a sight it woudl make on the wall at night!

Good Luck, Vicky, if you want my GITD thread, let me know and I'll ship it out right quick!

Odessa

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Well, I spent some time last night selecting fabrics for my border on Michelle's center. What a chore! I guess there is a reason that I am getting this center NOW. I hope to be able to work on it over the weekend; am trying to decide exactly how I will be able to put the next border on it as the fabric I have is going to need to be pieced in order to fit properly. That means I will need a "piecing plan", but I may jsut have to settle for going to the LQS and buying more shamrocks and pumpkins. I just know Michelle is going to love it with all those different holidays/seasons on it, don't you all think so, too???

I believe I may have some electric lime green batik that I could applique with, and perhaps if I found some flourescent oranges/orangey-reds, I could make pumpkins wearing shamrock hats. Michelle, do you have a preference here? Or should I go with turkey colors (red/gold/orange/brown)?

I would love to see the room this quilt will occupy when you get it. The decor must really be WILD!!!

Odessa

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Well, I got more fabric so I could finish my border on Michelle's quilt. I have a plan now. And I am excited to get to work on this quilt. Vicky, how are you coming on Kate's center?

Odessa

• wynative
    14 years ago

Hi ladies!

I have been promised to be laid off at the end of this week!! YIPPY! Okay no pay check will be a little tricky but I need some time to finish my quilting projects LOL

Has anything been decided on when to send the blocks back to the original owner?? I mean NO hurry as I still haven't finished Odessa's but I need some motovation :) Just as a heads up - My daughter and I will be out of town April 19th through the 26th. WE ARE GOING TO HAWAII!!!! Sorry to scream but we are sooooo looking forward to it! Been a really long cold winter here.....

Hope all are having a great week - I think spring is trying to get a toe in the door here in Wyoming. I saw some weeds with new leaves in my rock garden GRRRRR and the welcoming sight of iris peeking through the snow.

Marie

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marie, I don't know if I should say 'oh no!' or 'woo hoo!'. Being laid off is tough no matter the reason. Hope it all works out ok for you. The Hawaii trip is exciting and worth looking forward to!!!

I don't think we can set a date on the quilts yet since Michelle and Vicky both have 2 to finish.

Kate

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Yes, they both have 2 to finish, and it's really my fault for taking so much time putting fancyfied howitzers on your center, Kate! I don't want anyone to feel "rushed" to finish, especially since it feels Spring is on its way here, too! I know some of you want to get out into your gardens .....

Realistically, how about if we estimate when we think we can reasonably expect to be finished with these projects? That way we can perhaps target a date?

I'll have to look at what I have done and what I have to do yet when I get home tonight then I can give an estimate for myself.

How 'bout it, ladies?

Odessa

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Don't hate me. . . I'm done and ready to ship whenever you all are.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And let me add that Marie's quilt is wonderful!!! If they all turn out 1/2 this good we will all be amazed and pleased. I'm not bragging on what a good job I did on this one, but that ALL of the borders are well done, they tie in to her central theme, the colors work perfectly together... everything. It was fun, doing the last border in the round, to try to tie everything together that had come before my turn.

Most of the borders aren't terribly complex so don't think that it really takes dozens of hand appliqued howitzers to make a border nice. (although I'm sure that will be lovely on mine, Odessa!)

Odessa, at this point I don't think we can ask anyone to target a date if they haven't seen the quilt yet. How about if you set a date when you expect to finish Michelle's, then Vicky can use that to estimate when she may be able to complete the one she's working on (mine, I think). That will give Michelle an idea of when to expect mine.

So, if I have this right...
    - Michelle only has mine to complete, once she gets it.
    - Vicky has recently received mine and is waiting on Michelle's, which will be the last one for her.
    - Odessa is working on Michelle's right now and then will have Vicky's to complete before she is done.
    - Marie is working on Odessa's and then she's done.
    - I'm the overachiever who's finished. (I've gotten lots of sewing done while laid up with my fractured foot!)

Kate

• vicky4x4
    14 years ago

I have Kate's done and ready to mail out. Ready for the next one :-) Now I'm working on Birthday Blocks before starting a King size quilt.

Vicky

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

[in my best chipmunk voice]
    Okay, okay, OH-KAY!

Yes, I'm the holdup here. But, in my defense, hand-appliqued, glittered, embroidered and painted Howitzers DID take me a long time to accomplish on Kate's center. I knew Vicky would be able to do her stuff on it MUCH quicker than I did!

I am working on Michelle's tonight, and unless something really weird happens, it should be done by Friday. That means I intend to have it in the mail by the weekend, so Vicky, you should have it by Monday or Tuesday at the latest (I'll send it Priority Mail).

Then all I have to do is finish Vicky's center. It will likely be done around the 27th (we have performance week for DD's last musical of HS the 17th-21st, so will be working on gypsy robe for that first). Would it be possible to target March 29 for mailing? Or might that be pushing it a bit too much? I know I can be ready with Vicky's by then, providing I don't get an itch to do something else. That means we could have a "grand cyber opening party" around the 3rd of April perhaps? But this date is NOT set in stone, so don't stress if you aren't ready by then. We'll mail when everyone's ready! No need to stress here.]

I think it would be cool to all open on the same day so we can post photos, etc. at almost the same time.

I am excited to see Marie's finished. I was the first one to put a round on it and I had so much fun with that. I thought it was going to turn out really great and from Kate's enthusiasm, it sounds as if it did!

Kate, yours is next up. I know I took such a long time with yours, and I am really sorry that my slowness held up our efforts here, but I am hopeful that you will really like what I was able to do for you. I'm anxious to see what Vicky and Michelle put on it, too, especially since DH wanted me to keep yours and say it got lost or something. (He's the evil twin).

Michelle, I am finally settled on a round for your center. It was tough, with all the energy that Kate and Marie put into it. I tried to find a way to make it all come together without throwing the process too far out into left field. I'm hoping you will like what we've all done to it.

And Vicky.....dear, dear Vicky. I have only looked at your center once, when I opened the box from Marie, just to get an idea of what had been done to your center. I have been ruminating ideas since then and I have a game plan for you, too. I really think that your son is going to LOVE his quilt. You may need to add a final border or two yourself to get it to be the size he needs, but I really believe everyone has stepped up their games on yours. It is lovely. (Those fly-fishing ballerinas that Marie added are wonderful and they made me smile when I saw them. At first, I thought it was a little quirky, but seeing the smiles on their faces as they waded in the water up to the hems of their tu-tus, some holding fish in nets, some casting ..... well, it's just so outdoorsy! And some day he will probably be interested in girls, so this will give him something to dream on!)

Well, ladies, I must get going if I am to get Michelle's center done by tomorrow night. Have to press the fabric and start the cutting process. Hope you all have wonderful quity dreams the next few days!

Odessa

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes! Lets all open them the same day and time, if possible!

If someone doesn't have a camera, maybe they can ask the person who has their quilt last to take a pictue so they can all be posted on the same day.

We're closer than I thought!

Kate

• vicky4x4
    14 years ago

Odessa you stated:

"And some day he will probably be interested in girls"

If hunting and fishing are his first hobby girls are a very close second!!! Yes, it concerns me that he likes them so early (13) but I just keep pointing out those turkey and deer as we drive along!

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL!

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    no worries odessa, I have been buisy the last few weeks re-painting the whole inside of the house. it will be a few weeks still till I get the house on the market. we will start looking at houses next week. I'm about half packed, mostly just have the yard to do(a hugh mess)
    I will keep my eyes open for kate's
    michelle

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Okay, Vicky, Michelle's is on it's way to you tomorrow.... it will go in the mail then. I'm done with it.

Now, on to yours .....

Thinking, thinking, thinking ..... what can I add to those flyfishing ballerinas that will be spectacular?????

Have a good week!

Odessa

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    I got kate's in the mail yesterday, I decided on a border and got the pieces cut last night, I'm thinking a week will be long enough to finnish it, it I do a little each day. but I think to be on the safe side my ETA for being able to ship would be the 24 or 25th of march. I was in the st patties kinda mood so thought florecent green shamerocs would be great, and with it the last border it will take lots of shamerocs(it is too early, is there K in shamerocks??? or how I was spelling it??)
    don't worry I will be wide awake when I sew.

michelle

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good thinking, Michelle! Of course I haven't seen it since I mailed it off to Marie last year, but I'm certain you're on the right track!

Kate

• wynative
    14 years ago

Kate - are you trying to make me crazy?? I am so looking forward to seeing mine and you just have to tease me don't ya? LOL

I am hoping to finish up Odessa's by Monday - we are expecting a nasty (not so little) snow storm that is to arrive tomorrow night & lasting through the weekend - so I shouldn't have a problem with the finishing touches. Or that is the plan :)

I am feeling kind of like 'thee' lucky one in the RR - you are all so much more experienced than I am! I have to admit I am checking over all the work done on Odessa's and I know mine wont come close but it has been THE best RR I have ever done. Here's to hoping someone is brave enough to host another - soon :)

Marie

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Marie, that sounds like a dare!!!

Actually, I am considering hosting another Round Robin, if anyone is "game" for another one, and if there are more interested this time, perhaps we will have 2 groups.

I'm glad to hear that you feel my center is the best RR work you have done. I can honestly say that I have been looking over everyone's efforts on each of these quilts as they get to me, and I am impressed with improvements along the way.

Round Robins are tricky: you never know what experience level you will be working with and other people don't have the same "artistic eye" that you have. But if you leave your mind open to whatever comes, you will be surprised at how much you can grow from an experience like this one.

I'm glad this has been such fun for everyone, and I really do hope that you will all consider gearing up for RR 2.0.

Odessa

a quick p.s.: how close is everyone to finishing the last quilt? I know that Kate is done with Marie's, and I am working on Vicky's. Vicky, have you received Michelle's yet? Michelle, are you finished with Kate's? Marie, I hope you can sew with all the snow coming your way. We had 64 degrees yesterday and should be the same today. But much rain predicted for Saturday & Sunday, and maybe some snow mixed in! Hoo-freakin'-rah.

Happy Quilting,

Odessa

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    I'm not done with kate's yet, we have had good weather and I needed to got out and get the yard cleaned up, I will take most of tomarrow off working on the yard and do some sewing, my back and shoulder need a break before they break.LOL
    I'm still looking like I should be able to mail by the end of next week.
    michelle

• vicky4x4
    14 years ago

I just received Michelle's today and decided what I'm going to do. So in a few days I should be done at least by the middle of next week.

Vicky

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    ok I got kate's done today, I hope she likes it.
    but I got over zelus packing and can't find your address, could you please send it, my new address is micyreygrow@yahoo.com
    michelle

• wynative
    14 years ago

Good 'early' morning!
    I finished Odessa's about 1/2 hour ago - yes, burning the midnight oil hehehe

Yippy! it seems that we all will be finished or close to it by the middle of the week ;)

Have a great weekend ladies,
    Marie

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Well, gals, I pulled Vicky's out last night, following a weekend full of performances for "Annie", and the cast party, etc., etc., etc. I'm totally spent, but my brain is thinking .... thinking .... thinking .... and I believe I have come up with a plan for this center. I will try to make it happen by week's end, and then perhaps we can all mail at once.

Marie's flyfishing ballerinas are really hard to top here, but I'm certain that I will come up with something that will bring it all home. Maybe hot air balloons doing a turkey air drop (do you all remember that "WKAR in Cincinnati" thanksgiving episode?)? *giggles* Of course, it would have to be live turkeys on the quilt ... too hard to find pre-packaged frozen ones on fabric!

Odessa

p.s. I'm getting my tattoo filled in this week: having the color put in to the Samsonite outlines under my eyes. I am soooooooooooo excited!

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"do you all remember that WKRP in Cincinnati thanksgiving episode?" "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" I remember it well and still laugh when I think of it.

I see we are rapidly approaching 150 posts on this thread and that's the limit. Since we are so close to the end I think I'll start another one where we can coordinate shipping and post pictures of the finished products. Let's be sure to leave one final post on this thread so I can post a picture of all of the quilts, like I did at the top of this one.

Please go here for the continuing post: Round Robin 2009/10 Ends!

Kate

Please do not post additional comments on this thread so we have room for pictures of the Round Robin results! Use the link above to get to the continuing thread. Thanks!

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And here it is! The picture of the finished quilt tops.

It was an amazing experience and I'm so glad I was a participant. Thank you to Odessa for starting it, to the Round Robiners for their care, creativity and skill, and to all of you who followed along with us on this fun, fun, fun journey!