Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A friend starts quilting!

Posted by k8orlando (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 20:38

I'm so excited! A good friend just started on a quilt. She's been interested in my quilts and inspired by those made by her sisters; her sister has urged her to start and recently walked her through her first square during a family vacation. I wouldn't have thought to use this one, but she started her out on the 10 Minute Block! I think it was a brilliant choice because it's easy to put together but ends up looking much more complicated. On her first day she made 20 blocks!

I haven't done this block but it looks like it would be fun. Maybe as the core of a Christmas table runner. I know this has been posted here before, but don't recall who did it.

Here is a link that might be useful: youtube tutorial - 10 Minute Block

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A friend starts quilting!

In the video they use 4 red squares. If you make 2 of those (opposing each other) the same as the center square, you get a bow-tie block. You can use any sized squares you like. I've made a king sized bow-tie quilt using this method.

o

Oh my, your friend jumped right in there! I don't think I'm ready to tackle something like that!

o

Casi, watch the video. Its a very easy and fast block! The ones you've already done were more difficult.

o

My good friend just finished her first quilt/wallhanging with my help and I started her with the kaleidoscope "One Block Wonder" block. I helped her buy her fabric and loaned her my book and she did a wonderful quilt with great colors. She's so proud of herself (and I'm proud of her). Now she's off doing a landscape wallhanging from a class she is taking. Another quilter catches the bug!

o

I definitely have that bug! I'm finishing up on the quilt that I keep posting about, plus I've almost finished with a quilt top for my daughter and I still have my Thimbleberries Christmas quilt top that I just started in the Spring. I just need to add the borders to it and it will be ready for the quilting lady! I have another holiday project to cut out and get started on. I want to do it all the time. DH and I are both retired and he keeps coming up with projects outside he needs my help with! lol

o

Congrats! I wish I had someone here that would quilt with me!!!

Jennifer thanks for the tip.

Casi I didn't really like Thimbleberries patterns until recently and now I love many of her folksy patterns.

Linda she is starting out on a kaleidoscope wow!!! invite her to join the forum.
Rosa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here