Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Quilt Lotto Block for October

calliope
14 years ago

Let's think autumn, and make a maple leaf quilt block. This one is from McCall's quilting.

The background ( #1) will be in a warm beige/cream/ or ecru...can be plain, muslin, cream on cream. Just not white or too tan.

# 2 should be a colour you'd find on a fall leaf. Rust, like the instructions suggest, or gold, maroony, pumpkin........we want the quilt to look like leaves about to fall.

#3 Plaid

#4 Yep, a print.

I'm leaving it entirely up to you to decide what coordinates with each other, as long as the final product looks like a homespun leaf.

No, this is not a hard pattern. It's a beginner pattern. It just looks hard. LOL. The finished effect should be a quilt or wallhanging looking like fallen leaves.....warm tones and cozy.

100% Cotton material please. If you share your quilting with smoke or pets, please sponge before you send in a plastic bag to protect it, along with one dollar to help defray sending them all along to the winner after the drawing on October 31st. Blocks must arrive by the deadline for you to have a chance to win. You may submit up to three blocks, and you'll have a chance to win for every block you submit. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maple leaf at McCall's quilting

Comments (45)

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Yay! I'm first! Count me in for 3 this time. I love maple leaf blocks, although this one is a little different from my usual style.

Odessa

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, it is a little different. I have been working on the lady bug quilt for my g'son, who is to arrive in this world sometime around the 3rd of February. You weren't on-board yet, Odessa, when we made them a long time ago when Vicky was coordinating the lotto......but each little red bug sits on a maple leaf, and I've been making the traditional maple leaves for two weeks and I never tire of them. They are soooooo cute. So, I thought I'd try a different maple leaf. I read through the instructions, and they all are very straightforward and should sew out easily and festive.

Odessa-three blocks
    Calliope-one block (maybe more)

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    I'm in, I love this block, looks like I can do it.
    I'll go for three. I'll have to hand write the instructions becouse every time I try to print them there is a pop up add in the middle. GRRRRR
    thanks
    michelle
    ps I still don't have the gem star quilt done

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

I would like to sign up for this month's, please. I'll do 2 blocks.
    I am sorry about last month...and thank you all for being so understanding.
    I'm feeling better, and would like to do this...it gives me something to look forward to. :O)

Melissa

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome aboard for this fun block! I'm glad you're joining us this month Melissa. MIcyrey, I have only won the blocks once and it's been almost a year ago and they're still pinned to my wall. So, don't feel bad.

Time to start the list.

Odessa- Three
    Calliope-Two
    Micyrey-Three
    Hazelnutbunny-Two

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

Count me in - fall is my fav time of the yr & this block is fun (I have done it before) I plan to send two but I may get carried away...

~Cindy

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome aboard, quiltpartner. So, you've done this block before? Cool! and I'm glad to hear it's a fun block. It looked like it would be. Three blocks are the limit for the drawing, with a chance to win earned for each block done. The deadline to get them to me is the last day of the month. Any blocks received after the 31st will be sent on to the winner, but they don't make one eligible for the drawing.

When you get ready to send them, just give me a head's up and I'll email you my postal address.

So far, this is our list of participants:

Odessa- Three
    Calliope-Two
    Micyrey-Three
    Hazelnutbunny-Two
    Quiltpartner-Two

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Still encouraging anyone who is thinking about a fall-themed project to consider sewing up a block or two for the October lotto. The month is young and there is plenty of time to work on it yet.

Odessa if you are checking in........your little cache from the September lotto is packaged and ready to post. I was not in a hurry as I knew you were away on holiday. You may want to give me an email to let me know when to ship it out.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I bought some fabric today for it............grrrrrrrrrr.............JoAnn's "what an ordeal"...............all I'm gonna say or my blood pressure will blow the top of my head right off!

So put me down for at least one - I'll update if I can get more made.
    Thanks for keeping this going.

• poldiceann
    14 years ago

please put me down for one and possibly two - all depends on time.

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome aboard, Ladies. I think I'll be starting my blocks tonight. I have the top done to my baby quilt, and the back fused to the batting. A little hand embroidery and well get started on the quilting. I need a little break, and autumn leaves are just the thing.

Odessa- Three
    Calliope-Two
    Micyrey-Three
    Hazelnutbunny-Two
    Quiltpartner-Two
    Magothyrivergirl-One
    Pouldiceann-One

We'll bump you up on the count if you decide to do more than one. Good Luck.

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

My 2 blocks are done, & I'll probably put together another one just because. It is a fun block! Just spent the evening completely sorting all my little scraps (I save every little piece!) I feel like I accomplished a lot. Magothyrivergirl, I appreciate your frustration! J----'s makes me crazy so I only buy my notions there (w/coupon of course!) My fabric all comes from the independent quilt shops. Our local shop closed, but a road trip with quilting friends makes for a fun day! Soon the snows will be here & I'll only be sewing (which is cheaper, as pointed out by my loving husband:)

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Quiltpartner.........I just sent you my postal address to forward on your blocks when completed.

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Calliope~ Could I please get your mailing address? I am nearly ready to send my blocks in. :O)
    Thank you!
    hazelnutbunny@hotmail.com

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just sent it, and wow......everyone is busy getting their blocks done early this month. I really need to get cracking on mine. LOL.

Good Luck

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

I sent my blocks today....BUT....I noticed that one of them looks like the plaid is stretched, so I am making another one to replace that one. I went ahead and sent the 2 I had finished today (one turned out OK) so that I could at least have one good one there on time. :O) The stretched one *may* be OK...but I really don't think so. I will be making a replacement block this weekend, and will have that sent out next week. I did want to send both of the ones I had made, though, just so that there would be an extra if it was needed (even if just for the pieces!).

We are going through some major home remodeling, and we haven't had electricity for 4 days...and we've only now got outlets working...so there are no lights in the house. I'm having to use oil lamps & candles. Gives me more appreciation for quilters from olden times. LOL!

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I got 2 Maple Leaf Blocks done! Yea!

For those who haven't cut the blocks yet - Plaid Color #3 is 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 ( the 1/2 on the 4 scrolled to the next line in the directions and I missed it and cut all the plaid @4" -- wrong! Lucky I had enough plaid to recut.) Same issue with the Rust color #2 - just pay closer attention then I did.

I should get these to the post office first of next week.

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    I think I have your address I will try to get mine on the way this week.
    I just love this one
    michelle

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Melissa (Hazelnutbunny) Your blocks arrived today. I was so impressed. They are so bright and cheerful and look even better 'in person' than they looked on the pattern site. You 'done' good. There is not a thing wrong with the construction on those blocks. If you haven't 'redone' one, then don't. The one you were worried about was more than acceptable. I had to hunt and hunt to even find what you were talking about. Good luck on the drawing.

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Oh, if you're SURE they are OK, then I won't send the other one (it's identical to the one I already sent). I can hang on to it, and if the winner decides that she'd like to have it, then I can send it on to her.

I think this pattern is going to make a really beautiful quilt. I can't wait to see what the winner choses to do! :O)

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    I can't find your address, could you please sent it?
    thanks
    michelle

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If you already have it done, Melissa, the choice is yours. You can keep it, send it to the winner or if you send it to me, then it'll earn you another chance at winning. Your name would go in the hat three times. Your call. Who knows......you end up the winner and all of them would end up at your place. LOL.

Micyrey, I just emailed you my address.

I need to get busy making my blocks. I've been preoccupied with a QIP.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

calliope ~ I haven't gotten to the post office yet to mail the blocks. I didn't want you to worry because you haven't received them yet~sorry.

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    the silly e-mail is having a problem and I didn't get yours yesterday, could you please send it again, sorry to be such a pain but I don't want them to be late
    thanks
    michelle

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Odessa- Three
    Calliope-Two
    Micyrey-Three
    Hazelnutbunny-Two received
    Quiltpartner-Two Three received
    Magothyrivergirl-One
    Pouldiceann-One

Three absolutely darling blocks arrived today, and I believe they are your's Quiltpartner. Micyrey, I'm sending you my email again. Hope it gets through this time.

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    I got it thanks, they are on the way.
    I can't wait to see who wins this one, they will be great
    michelle

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

yep, those 3 are mine - said I'd probably do the max - it's a great block & fall is my fav time of the yr & the colors! these are the 1st blocks I've ever sent in, I'm glad you like them (hope the winner does too :) I'm off to the Oarks today for a wk (anniv trip) - so I won't be on for awhile - Will miss my time here but I'll try to have a good time w/out y'all :)lol

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The mailbox was stuffed with quilt blocks this morning. Micyrey, WOW! You caught the spirit of that block spot on. I took them out to show my husband who agreed with me. Hazelnutbunny, your third block also arrived. Beautiful fabric choices, and perfect for this design. I just wish I could take them all out of the envelopes and photograph them so far. I hope the winner does, because it's a fun, fun pattern.

Odessa- Three
    Calliope-Two
    Micyrey-Three Three received
    Hazelnutbunny-Two Three received
    Quiltpartner-Two Three received
    Magothyrivergirl-One
    Pouldiceann-One

Quiltpartner....where ya' heading, Branson? Missouri is my old stomping grounds, married there, had my kids there, left part of my heart there. I remember when Lake of the Ozarks was not much more than a body of water with some bar-b-que joints nearby. LOL.

I am so impressed with the creativity you gals are showing on this one. I hope you know, that now I'm going to have to make a quilt in this pattern. Thanks Gobs. LOL.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I finally got to the post office with the blocks! They are on the way! 2 Blocks

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Your blocks came today, Magothyrivergirl. Very lovely choice of fabrics, very creative. Love them! Somebody is going to be happy when they receive this jackpot. I think it's my fav to date.

I need to get busy today and get mine done. We are coming down to the wire. I'll be hard pressed to top any of them so far received. Lovely job gals!

Odessa- Three
    Calliope-Two
    Micyrey-Three...... Three received
    Hazelnutbunny-Two........ Three received
    Quiltpartner-Two....... Three received
    Magothyrivergirl-One.......Two received
    Pouldiceann-One

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Calliope,

I made my 3 blocks today, and I think they're pretty cool. I'll put them in the mail on Monday, so I hope they arrive in time.

Odessa

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

hey! everyone - I'm back. Had a great time enjoying fall in the mts. Calliope, went to Fairfield Bay, but passed Branson on the way to St. Louis (niece & family there) Fall in the mts is gorgeous!! best time ever! & LUCKY ME - fell into a quilt shop hop!!! Darling husband drove over 200 xtra miles taking me to 8 shops (he's awesome) & of course I had to purchase in each one,just to be fair :)lol Now I can't wait to dig into the sewing rm & reorganize to make room for more stash:) Actually took my sw mach w/me just in case of bad weather! we had none, but I still worked on a Cmas quilt a few evenings while dh watched baseball. Sw mach came in handy at niece's when I repaired a beloved halloween costume for her 4yr old; became his instant hero which was priceless! Now back to forum to catch up w/y'all! (picked that phrase up on my trip:)!!

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome home Quiltpartner, and that's great you had a good holiday in the mountains.

ODESSA! Your blocks arrived today. Pretty cool is an understatement. They're beautiful. A soft
    Wow came out when I opened them, and I told my husband that one of these days I hope I can put together a block that flawlessly. You done good, Lady.

I do have one block done, and am hoping to finish up the last one tonight. It's been a fun pattern.

Odessa- Three.......Three received
    Calliope-Two......One done and one in the mill
    Micyrey-Three...... Three received
    Hazelnutbunny-Two........ Three received
    Quiltpartner-Two....... Three received
    Magothyrivergirl-One.......Two received
    Pouldiceann-One

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Glad they got there in time, calliope. Now, just remember to put that sticky stuff on my name so you draw me again!!!! Unlike the B&W ones from last month, I KNOW what to do with these ones! rofl

Odessa

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, even though I throw my name in the hat (really, I use a hat), if it's pulled I disqualify myself. I only do it to see if I woulda won. LOL.

The first name I pulled was mine, LOL. So I pulled again.

Odessa must've worked her Mojo on the Halloween drawing, because that's what stuck to my fingers on the next pick.

We've had other lottos where somebody's won twice in a row, and one where one lady was drawn three times in a row. LOL. So, it looks like the blocks are off to Odessa again this month.

Congratulations and thanks everyone for entering them and adding to the fun.

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Yippee! Hooray! Happy Dance Time!

Thank you, thank you, thank you again Calliope! I am really tickled to have won again. This has been an exciting two months for me. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my black and white blocks from Sept., but like I said, I KNOW what to do with these maple leaf blocks!

And just so no one thinks I'm hogging the spotlight, I have determined that I will NOT participate this month because I am committed to too many things right now. I want to make sure I'm not spreading myself too thin.

I will definitely show pics when they arrive, and hopefully I will not take too terribly long to put both of these quilts together so everyone can see completed pieces.

Thanks again for hosting this lotto calliope. It's been fun and you have been a terrific hostess. And I hope you enjoyed hosting as much as I enjoyed participating.

Odessa

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

Congrats! Odessa! Glad you won since you did know ahead of time what you would do w/the blocks (is that the secret to winnng??) I wasn't going to do this month eithe, but I can't resist! Sewing will go quick enough, it's fabric selection that slow me down - I overthink it.
    Calliope - my daughter-in-love's mother pulled her name from the hat in a high school music booster's 50/50 draw! She won enough $$ to buy a use car (that lasted her thro college & into 2yrs of marriage!) It happens, enjoy the humor:):)

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, believe it or not, the drawing is quite a ritual to me. I get as excited as if I'm gonna be the winner, and can't wait to find out where the jackpot goes. I pulled them around two in the morning, right before I went to bed.

I have so many UFOs up there, that I really didn't realistically want to start on another project until I get a few finished. Had I wanted to win some of the lottos I would have asked a neutral party to do the drawing, so I could've been in on it. I always like to participate, however, so I can see firsthand the level of difficulty and gain the learning experience from a new pattern.

I knew you were particularly anxious to win this pattern, so was happy for you when your name stuck to my fingers, LOL. Is that the power of positive thinking? The blocks sent in this month were just darling. You all did a wonderful job.

Odessa, I unexpectedly went out and bought a new car yesterday. LOL. So I'll be tied up a day or two getting that picked up and the running done to title and plate it. But, I'll get your blocks out sometime this week.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Congrats AGAIN!!! Odessa- also glad you won since you had plans for these blocks!!!
    Calliope - you did a wonderful job hosting - esp during your busy season - thanks again. I also unexpectedly bought a car last week - almost beheaded a few MVA people trying to do a simple title transfer. Good Luck and hope your MVA/DMV experience is better than mine ~LOL

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Calliope, don't worry about getting my blocks to me yet, you just take care of your new ride. I know you'll just be giddy with excitement, so my blocks can wait.

Actually, I kind of prefer that they not be shipped to me today or tomorrow as I am really getting into stitching my border on Kate's Round Robin center and have started to get into a groove. Don't want to lose that momentum.

When I told him that I won, even my husband was tickled because he liked those Maple Leaf blocks, too. Now he's pushing to have them put into a quilt top and I told him, "the Black & Whitte's have to come first"! So now he's determined to look through my stash to come up with a plan for sashing those so he will be ready when his beloved ML blocks get here.

Now, if only I could get him to understand that spending $$ on fabric is a GOOD THING!..........

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Wow, Congrats, Odessa!! :O)
    Share pics when you get it finished!

• poldiceann
    14 years ago

congratulations to the winner, sorry i had to withdraw this time, unfortunately i am waiting to have foot surgery and therefore am unable to use my machine - will be out of circulation for some time, but will keep an eye out on the site, i may be able to do a block by hand!!!

• vicky4x4
    14 years ago

poldiceann - you should try sewing with the other foot. I have done it when my back was bothering me. Works it just takes a little longer.

Vicky

• calliope
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Odessa, your blocks are ready to go out in the post tomorrow. I emailed you. Let me know if you don't get the email.

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Calliope,

Speedy Delivery! The blocks arrived today (11/9). I only had a few minutes at lunch to glance at them; they should go together very nicely. I won't be able to photo until later this week, but will happily share pics when I do.

Thanks again for everyone who made blocks for me (huge smiles).

(((((((( H U G S )))))))

Odessa

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County