Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Mid-arm sit down machines?

K8Orlando
12 years ago

I don't have room for a long arm machine on a frame, but I really enjoy free motion quilting. My Elna does a good job but has the standard machine sized harp, making it difficult to FM anything much bigger than a large sofa quilt. I'm not intending to quilt as a business; this is strictly for fun and mental health!

I've been looking at the ads in the magazines for sit down mid-arms and they seem pretty cool. Does anyone have one or have you used one?

Kate

Comments (8)

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Kate,
    DOn't have any information/input on mid-arm machines, but have a question along those lines.

Would you consider buying a book that teaches you how to quilt (up to) queen-sized quilts on a frame w/standard machine using the QAYG method? (The method that doesn't require hand stitching all those seams)

Just a quizzical question.
    Jennifer

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

This may be more (bigger) than you're looking for Kate, but I can attest to the quality of APQS machines.

Here is a link that might be useful: The APQS George

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I love my BabyLock but boy that George looks like an addition to a future Xmas list. Thanks, Mary.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now that I've seen George, I want him! When I go for a machine like this it will have to be a used one because of the prices, but it's always good to know what you want so you can react quickly when you find one.

Jennifer asked: "Would you consider buying a book that teaches you how to quilt (up to) queen-sized quilts on a frame w/standard machine using the QAYG method? (The method that doesn't require hand stitching all those seams)"
    I saw your other post about the book and looked it up on amazon.com, hoping there would be images of some of the pages from the book. The book is there, with some used ones for a reduced price, but no page images. The cover shows beautiful quilting. I don't think I would be interested in QAYG for more than one or two projects. I don't love the feel or the stiffness of the seams, whether they are hand sewn or machine sewn. I'm working on a QAYD 'Fun and Done' project for a picnic quilt and even though it's nowhere near done I already know I wouldn't want to use it on a bed. The book looks interesting but I don't think QAYG is my thing.

Kate

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Kate~ see my response/explanation on "A Shot in the dark?" post...

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I just read an interview on Fons and Porter site with Carol Bryer Fallet and she as talking about "George". I checked it out and was very impressed. Wish I were younger I believe it would be on my "to have" list. A great alternative to a long arm machine.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Here's another sit down machine. My local quilt shop carries it, although I have never seen it demo'd.
    http://www.handiquilter.com/product/hq-sweet-sixteen/

How big is the harp on your current sewing machine?

The Pfaff Hobby Grand Quilter 1200 is a 9" harp, 1600 stitches per minute, straight stitches only, sit down machine,
    very, very affordable....many of us put it on a frame, and make it work- it was designed for table top. Nothing fancy, but likes all thread, and makes a beautiful stitch.
    It free motions beautifully! Take a look at it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pfaff Hobby Grand Quilter 1200

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the harp on my machine is 7" but I'm not certain. Another couple inches would be helpful but 14"-16" would be heaven! The price on the Pfaff makes it pretty attractive.