Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan_dupuis

Suggestions please

Joan Dupuis
11 years ago

Have this Queen quilt top made, and looking for suggestions on what pattern to quilt it. The navy you see at the bottom is actually from another quilt on the bed. I've since added a black border to the top.

Comments (28)

• calliope
    11 years ago

WOW!

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Wow again! I love it. One possibility to keep it with that modern look is lots of lines echoing the forms I guess. The setting triangles and borders do cry out for some nifty feathers or cables though. Possibly squared cables/chains???

Sorry, no fabulous ideas.

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

What a wonderfully graphic quilt!

Because of all the straight lines and angles, I think a nice soft, curvy all-over pantograph would look very nice. It would soften the edges a bit.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Love it! The colour combo is striking
    Theresa

• loisflan
    11 years ago

What a stunning quilt! The colors are fantastic, and the pattern is very dramatic. I personally think the quilting should be in keeping with the modern look of the quilt. I wouldn't do feathers, flowers or leaves. Something bold. Jennifer's suggestion of a curvy pantograph would be great too. Very nice work. I really like it a lot.

• grammyp
    11 years ago

LOVE your quilt! The black just makes it so striking. How about some nice geometric line quilting, something like the ones in the link? You could SID around the larger squares, then fill in with the pattern.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful:

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

What a lovily quilt. Like everthing about it. You did a fabulous job putting it all together.
    I am not very good with quilting but I see circles in the blocks and half circles in the triangles echoing at 1" intervals. I am sure what every you decide will be perfect.TFS

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

I also see bold geometric quilting for this quilt, but I could be wrong. Great quilt. Picking the quilting design is where I'm not very confident. I spend a lot of time looking at images of quilts online similar to what I'm working on to get ideas.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

On floral quilts I like more geometric lines and on geometric quilts I like to see softer, loopier lines. Just a personal preference; and I like to do my own so the designs are pretty simple! On this I would do a circular leafy thing in the big squares and a similar leafy border, then a soft meander/stipple to fill in everything between the big squares. I can see it but it's hard for me to explain quilting!

Kate

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I should have mentioned, I don't do machine quilting, so it's either on my quilt frame, or large hoop free hand, or have someone else machine quilt it. Kate, I'm leaning towards your vision, but would cost a fortune to have it done with all those variations ( a lot of turning on the frame). I've just had surgery for breast cancer and won't find out the results of the lymph nodes for another week or 2. Need radiation, but not sure yet about chemo, so not sure how long it will take to quilt on my large frame. I'm sure I will have good days and bad. May have to wait til after Xmas to set it up, because the only place I have big enough is the living room.

One last question... what color thread, light or dark, and should I made the thread color the same all over.....

• lola99
    11 years ago

Your quilt is lovely! Here is a quilting suggestion...

Quilt both lines and curves.

Use the large light beige squares that are outlined with black sashing as a focus area and quilt a curved design in these (feathered wreath, swirls, etc). You could quilt the same design in all 12 of these squares, alternate squares, or do each one differently.

SID around all of the black lines. Extend the black lines into the dark brown squares so they cross in the squares in the center of the quilt and extend to the first border in the dark brown triangles along the edge of the quilt.

Quilt some sort of curved pattern in the first border and in the lighter areas of the quilt. Something like paisley or swirls, etc.

I find Angela Walters to be a huge quilting inspiration. Her blog is linked below.

Whatever you decide to do, it will be wonderful. Your quilt is really beautiful.

Lola

Here is a link that might be useful: Angela Walters blog: Quilting is my Therapy

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Praying that test results are what you want. My daughter has gone through all of the treatments for BC and is doing wonderfully well. I hope the same for you.
    As for quilting designs, I haven't a clue. I send my bigger ones out.
    Theresa

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMGosh Lola. That's exactly the sort of examples I need. I'm a visual person, so your sample really helps. Thanks so much for all your time and effort put into the sample as well as the link. I could actually do that my hand.

• lola99
    11 years ago

Unfortunately I spend more time thinking about quilting and looking at quilting blogs than actually quilting. Lately I've been really fascinated with the quilting process and thinking about different quilting designs that can enhance the piecing. I'm glad you didn't mind me doodling on your quilt picture. I had fun doing it! LOL

Regarding thread color, I would probably change color to match the background that I was quilting. Except I may quilt the continuation of the black lines with black thread (in the dark brown). But you are better off getting advice from other people. I just ruined a beautiful quilt with a horrible choice of thread color, so I'm a little gun shy on contrasting thread color.

I'm so sorry to hear about your breast cancer. I hope and pray that you recover quickly and your ongoing treatments are not too bad.

Lola

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

bloomorelse, holding good and healing thoughts for your swift recovery.

The drawing on the quilt looks interesting, but I kinda liked the Asian influenced geometrics that someone posted a link too. The quilt has a little Asian feel to it.

Whatever you do it will be beautiful. I can't even imagine hand quilting anything that large, but then I don't hand quilt little ones either ;-)

• calverttx
    11 years ago

With your problems which I am very sorry for I have a suggestion. I have spent half of my winters curled in a big chair with a quilt in my lap. I take a 12 or 14 inch embroidery hoop (the one with screws) and quilt a little section at a time. I find it very relaxing and the quilts are beautiful. I lay the quilt on the dinning room table and put the frame on the part I want to quilt. You can leave it in the frame for a day or two if you get stopped.

I hope this helps and I pray your results are good. Nancy

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing with us the news of your bc. You know we'll all be thinking of you and storming you with best wishes and prayers for a rapid and complete recovery!

Kate

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

bloomorelse, sorry about your bc, I truly hope all goes well for you an you have a speedy complete recovery.
    I love this quilt top, the colors are fantastic and the pattern is wonderful! Best of luck to you and take it easy your with your recuperation!

Lola thank you so much for your visual I too learn by seeing, I don't always understand being spoken too an am totally new to the quilting side of things, that is learning to do my own. My grandmothers quilted and now my mom but none of them knew/know the tech terms for anything and although I grew up watching and learning from them I still need instruction and yours was awesome!

:) Aqua

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

From now on, I'm sending a picture of all my quilts to Lola!!!

Kate

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Calverttx, that's the way I usually quilt as well, but sometimes end up with the backing going a little sideways. Maybe if I blocked it on my big frame, then took it off to work on while relaxing on the couch would minimize the back shifting.

Lola, what program did you use to do your doodling? Sounds like your skills will be in demand. LOL

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. Currently I feel fine as I havent's started any treatments yet. Hoping I won't need chemo.

• calverttx
    11 years ago

I have never had that happen. With hand quilting I use safty pins close together. I use my fist as a guide so they are close. Now I am learning to machine quilt. I was taught to baste with thread so that the quilting foot would glide over the thread. So much to learn and so little time. Take care of yourself. Nancy

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

lola 9...Did you ever tell what program you used? I'd love to know. That's a really great way to preview. I'm guessing you don't really want to do it for all of us ;-)

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Photoshop, maybe?

• lola99
    11 years ago

Hi everyone. Ive been flying across the country today so i didn't check gardenweb. What a nice surprise to get an email from bloomorelse telling me people wanted to know what i did. (By the way my phone wouldn't let me email you back. Not sure why.)

Anyway, I just right clicked your photo, saved it to my computer, then right clicked on the saved file and i got a drop down menu and one option was "open in paint" so that's what i used. Not very high tech.

I truly would be happy to doodle on any quilt top that anyone
    posts. I have ideas and its really fun to share them.

Im typing this on my phone, so please excuse any typos.

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Lola for getting back to us and for your generous offer. You may be sorrrrrry ....

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Hope the flight is fun. Thanks for the offer ;-)

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

Loving the quilt and I like the visual that lola did, too! Great idea :-)

Robbi

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Great looking quilt and I would probably ruin it with any ideas I have! But it does have an Asian feel to me so I would try something along that line.

Prayers and good thoughts going out for quick and complete recovery.

SharonG/FL

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!