Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Up Odd Quilt top

Posted by geezerfolks (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 19:25

Have been working on this for the last 2 weeks. Started out with 2 inch squares. Not counting any of the white squares, there are 1083. Now to get it sandwiched. It's from Red Pepper Quilts.
Edit: OOPS!!! That's wrong.....it's from Wedding Dress Blue.

SharonG/FL

This post was edited by geezerfolks on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 21:08

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Up Odd Quilt top

Very pretty, Sharon. I assume you've been making squares as you work on other projects? I started that, but got away from it and only have a few pairs made up. Need to get back to doing that.

o

I love it. I have been making scrap quilts lately and doing 2 inch squares as leaders and enders.

o

Awesome!!!! Sharon- you always amaze me with your scrap quilts.
You are so productive. Someday I want to be able to make a quilt in 2 weeks that looks this cool 'out of nothing but scraps'!!!
I wanna Grow up Odd!

o

Sharon...
I love it!!! I don't recall seeing this one on RPQ...but OMG...just love this layout, it looks great...and yes...I'm almost addicted to tiny squares, nice to know I'm not alone! ;-)
V.

o

My mistake.......I must have been thinking of your quilt, V, on RPQ. This one came from the Wedding Dress Blue site. I had most of these squares already cut, but cut a few more because I didn't want plain white within the blocks, just the sashing and border. I have quite a few white squares left and few others, but don't plan to make any more using this small for awhile. The gal I want to give it to is a former co-worker and had commented on how her granny's quilts were always full of different kinds of fabric and she wanted to eventually have one, too. She's been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and it has spread to her bones now, so I'm on a mission to get it completed. The layout isn't the same as on the tutorial, but then I didn't make it 90 x 90 either! I had fun with this one.....have a lot on my mind and it was almost mindless sewing. :-)

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Up Odd Quilt

o

Sharon, that's a great quilt. I just love it. I'm sure your friend will be comforted by it.

I have been cutting 1.5" squares out of scraps for quite a while now. I have a pattern in mind that consists of blocks that are 10 squares by 10 squares of a single color-way, then sashed with white. I don't know when I will ever have enough to finish it, but I guess that really doesn't matter.

o

The layout is really attractive! Not sure I'm ever going to do the tiny scrap thing that you and Val have recently done so well, but I really like the finished products. This one is so cozy looking! I'm sure it will bring comfort to your friend; it's a precious gift.

Kate

o

Love it! I am sure your friend will feel the love and comfort you put into it. I don't know if I have the patience for that many tiny squares ... doing an Irish chain a few years ago about did me in! Maybe if I just made a few squares at a time out of scraps ...
Anyway, it's great!
Sue

o

Another 10 for Sharon. That is perfect and just right for the recipient.
Bless you!
Theresa

o

Sharon, it's lovely! I like the layout...it would be fun to play around with all kinds of shapes.

Donna

o

Oh, I like that, and I just cut up my scrap boxes into 2 1/2 in squares and strips! Gonna have to use them up.

beverly

o

Thank you, everyone.

Lois, You don't need enough to finish the entire quilt. If you have a pattern in mind, start with a block as an end result and use the squares as leaders and enders as you sew other things. You'll be surprised how quickly they add up.

I like how the white sashings within the blocks can be continued on in the adjoining block but doesn't go all the way either horizontal or vertical unless it's the actual sashing between the blocks. Fun stuff! Oh, I added it all up and I saved about 3 yards of fabric from the landfill. Please, use your scraps or pass them on to those who will. Thank you........ :-)

SharonG/FL

o

Sharon, each block in the postage stamp quilt I'm thinking of is 10 squares by 10 squares, and each 10x10 is in only one color. So I need 100 squares in a variety of reds, for instance. I suppose a could start sewing strips of 10 together though, even if I don't have 100 in any one color yet. But I'm so structured in my thinking, too much so sometimes. I want to see all 100 at one time, so I can be sure the same fabrics are distributed evenly over the whole block. See, this is why I've made only one scrap quilt so far. I'm too regimented. Maybe this is my chance to break free - to fly... Or not.

o

Lois, Fly, baby, fly!!!! Consider sewing a few squares together at a time. A bunch of two, then sew those making 4 together. Keep doing it this way then you'll have a lot of various shades to put together to get to a strip of 10.....all the while you'll be F L Y I N G!!!!!! Have a lot of strips of 10 and you'll be able to 'regiment' then. LOL Try it, you might like it. :-)

SharonG/FL

o

Lois, you and I must have seen the same quilt for inspiration...my postage stamp is blocks 12 x 12 in a single color - 12 blocks. I started cutting 1-1/2" squares of blue, then I thought I'd never think of 12 different colors, much less have enough of some of them! But I just kept cutting, and sewing on one block at a time as a leader-ender project. A couple of months ago I decided to assess my progress, and lo and behold I had nearly enough of 12 different colors! I've sewn 4 blocks and all the squares are cut for the rest. Instead of solid white sashing I'm doing neutral squares, and the border will be squares of multi-color fabrics. It's coming along!

Donna

o

Sharon it's a beautiful quilt. It must have taken a lot of patience to piece that many small squares. Congrats on finishing it.

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Love both yours and Val's quilts. The white sashing rely makes it stand out. I have a bunch of squares I cut up to get rid of some scraps so may try this layout one of these days. I would love to make a postage stamp quilt and LOVE scrappy..

o

I'm feeling this strange urge to go out and start cutting squares!

That's a beautiful quilt, and I love the white sashing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here