Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buteau3rd

half square triangles

buteau3rd
12 years ago

Has anyone ever tried using the paper printouts from "Quilting and Whatnot"?

They were so, so easy and absolutely perfect.

When I looked at the lines, .I really didn't think it was correct, because there were no corner to corner cutting lines. They looked a bit askew to me.

They are the best, easiest ones I have ever made

Comments (15)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Isn't that the same thing that Vicky was using for her tree quilt? I would have to go back in the posts and find it but if it wasn't this one, it was close. I couldn't believe how quick and easy it was to make a bunch of perfect HST!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: half square triangle pattern

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I was wrong. Vicky's was similar but not exactly the same.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• casi
    12 years ago

As a newbie, I'm wondering how one uses these patterns? Do you just do a few at a time?

• buteau3rd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kate, the first one is the one I was talking about. If you compare them, the second one is the one I have always used, and you do cut corner to corner. The one from quilts and whatnot has no corner to corner cuts but they are perfect!
    Now I am really curious as to
    vickies pattern!

• buteau3rd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Casi, half square squares are used very often in quilts. It depends on your pattern, some are almost all HSTs..........very versatile.....you can do so much with them.
    Hope you enjoy quilting with us.

• casi
    12 years ago

I love this forum, everyone is very helpful. I have been having trouble with my HST's...trying to figure out how ones uses the patterns. Print off mulitple copies and then place on fabric??

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I get really annoyed trying to get the paper pieces off so I just make mine 7/8 larger than the finished HST and trim to size.

I am going to print the diagram out and try it.
    Rosa

• buteau3rd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I use a very small stitch, and fold on the stitch line and it was like "tear on the dotted line".
    Also I do all the rotary cutting between the squares first.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I print one copy then stack plain paper with it and sew along the stitch lines without thread. I'll do a stack of 10 pages at a time, using an old needle of course. Then when i use a page it gets sewn through the second time. Makes tearing the paper off very easy!

I've read that using news print paper works great too.

• karpet
    12 years ago

Thank you for that link! I've bookmarked that page.
    Karlene

• buteau3rd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kay, I like the way you think! My printer runs out of ink more often than I like. I did think of newspaper, but haven't tried it yet. Did anyone else check the QUILTS AND WHATNOT layout for the HSTs? Am I the only one that thought it looked wonky!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I looked at it too. It may print true even if it looks odd on your computer. It may depend on how your monitor screen resolution is set.

Kate

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

There is a lot of paper piecing on the Dear Jane I'm working on and found that vellum paper works great. It's thin and tears really easy after you stitch through it and it goes through the printer very easily.

Robbi

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Robbi, have you tried baking parchment paper? It is less expensive then vellum and I believe it works as well. I am not a PP at heart but like the parchment.

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

Newspaper is what the old timers used because it was available. I've used it in the past for a few projects. It's not bad to work with.