Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev2009

Batting scraps

bev2009
11 years ago

I was wondering if I should offer all the batting scraps I accumulated this month on Freecycle. Do people use them for stuffing or any other use?

Comments (15)

• grammyp
    11 years ago

I'm sure someone can use them. I sew mine together to make bigger pieces. It works great.

beverly

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

I use batting scraps all the time...mostly for practing FMQ. What about two together for pot holders??

If I have a fairly good size scrap that is just the right size to join w/ another good size scrap...I zigzag them together and make a larger batting to use for small size quilts. I've not joined different batting types, all were the same and never more than two pieces...it's works great...I thought everyone did this?

Offer them on Freecycle, I bet someone will use them.

V.

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Yes. Quilters put them together into larger pieces with iron-on fusible tape. When you offer them on freecycle mention that they are for quilters and that might generate some interest. I use my small scraps in potholders and small wallhangings. I frequently put several pieces together.

• polardream
    11 years ago

Bev, you have had a few good suggestions. I use them for potholders, and snap bags, and put pieces together for smaller quilts, wallhangings.
    Some groups that make dog beds for humane societies would probably love it to stuff the beds. They use all kinds of fabric scraps, I can imagine batting would work also.

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are about 4" wide at most. (The larger ones I am keeping for piecing.) I'll put them on Freecycle and if I don't get any takers, I call the humane society. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

• fran1523
    11 years ago

I sew them together and then cut them to swiffer size. they work really well picking up dust bunnies all over the house.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Great idea!

I usually use mine either for potholders or for stuffing cat or dog toys. I like the swiffer idea too!

Kate

• nannykins
    11 years ago

If you use it for potholders, would you put a piece of aluminum foil in between the two layers of batting.
    Asking because I have used batting alone and find I am still feeling the heat.
    Or would that just compound the situation?
    Theresa

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Have been thinking about my last question.
    Maybe that wouldn't work if you have to wash them . Does foil wash?
    Theresa

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would think aluminum foil conducts heat and wouldn't block it at all. I did buy a product to put into the potholders I made that does block the heat. If no one posts the name by tomorrow, I see if I can find the bag. However, any sewing store should know what it is you use.

I already had a taker on the batting from Freecycle. If she doesn't pick them up tomorrow, I may keep them as swiffer sheets. Love the idea. I assume you can wash and re-use them too.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I think the batting to use for oven mitts and potholders etc. is called Insulbrite.

I am going to try the swiffer idea because I save all of my batting scraps.

Mary

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

Listen to Fran and Kate!

I use my W&N scraps for the same.

Gwen

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

who woulda thought...batting for the swiffer...splendid idea!!! Thank you... Thank you!!!'
    V.

• krissie55
    11 years ago

Wow!! Fran, you have shared a jewel of a way to use batting scraps on the Swiffer.

I do not have a Swiffer, did try using a long handle wall brush for same purpose and it worked great! Could use various kinds of sponge mops, wax applicator, etc. if you don't have a Swiffer.

Not sure it would work if there was sand tracked in, but for dust and sewing trash it is a winner! A piece of velcro (loop part) will keep batting from parting ways with the applicator.

Krissie

• buteau3rd
    11 years ago

I use mine to make 'potato bags' the strips that I trim off are just the right size. Of course not if I used the poly type that I use for some special items.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH